PDA

View Full Version : Toshiba Laptop and battery woes pt 2

globe
08-09-2019, 10:13 PM
Following on from this thread

https://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?148044-Toshiba-laptop-boot-up-problems/page3

I have reinstalled windows and upgraded to W10. The laptop now boots with the battery in but only when the charger is plugged in. I have run a battery report and it tells me it is 100% and is running at 42k milliamps (I think that was the unit anyway). If i unplug the charger the laptop dies instantly. It was a brand new battery.

Any suggestions? thanks

zqwerty
08-09-2019, 10:48 PM
What if you leave the charger plugged in but switch it off at the wall?

globe
08-09-2019, 11:18 PM
What if you leave the charger plugged in but switch it off at the wall?

Nah, when I turn off at wall it dies

Bryan
09-09-2019, 07:56 AM
Something internal such as battery connections? Seems to me that the charge is coming from mains power but the battery connection is failing and not allowing the battery power through. Time for an expert to look at it I think.

09-09-2019, 10:13 AM
I have run a battery report and it tells me it is 100% and is running at 42k milliamps

42Amps . Wow . Impressive. :)

You have a hardware fault. Either the new batt is faulty, or you have an internal power circuit fault .

zqwerty
09-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Have you had a look at the connections from the battery to the laptop, normally there is some sort of interlock and maybe even a screw to take out to remove the battery from the laptop, the reverse applies putting it back in. I would look and see if all the blades and receptacles are interlocking correctly and free from dirt.

If you did replace the battery before, I think you did, then it is looking like a mother-board fault; bad news on a laptop.

globe
10-09-2019, 07:28 PM
Have you had a look at the connections from the battery to the laptop, normally there is some sort of interlock and maybe even a screw to take out to remove the battery from the laptop, the reverse applies putting it back in. I would look and see if all the blades and receptacles are interlocking correctly and free from dirt.

If you did replace the battery before, I think you did, then it is looking like a mother-board fault; bad news on a laptop.

Yes I have cleaned them with rubbing alcohol sounds like itís poked

globe
10-09-2019, 07:28 PM
42Amps . Wow . Impressive. :)

You have a hardware fault. Either the new batt is faulty, or you have an internal power circuit fault .

Is there an way of testing the battery?? Thks

zqwerty
10-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Are you able to repeat the test that gave you the result of '42k milliamps'?

This, if correct, is actually 42 Amps which is not possible, that's more than both headlights on your car use.

4.2k milliamps would be more like the correct figure although even that is a bit high.

globe
18-09-2019, 07:29 AM
Yes 4.2k milliamps. Guess that means itís all good at that end then? Cheers

18-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Its unlikely that a new batt was faulty. Yes that can happen, but its not that common .
This is why I cross my fingers when buying new batts for old laptops , it may not be the batt thats faulty .

You have a hardware fault . You'll need to send it somewhere to be tested and repaired. Power circuit repairs could cost you $200-$300+ .

rumpty
21-09-2019, 11:55 AM
I wonder if it is the NEC/Tokin capacitor problem that some Toshiba laptops suffer from?

Hobbit
27-09-2019, 04:17 PM
A new battery won't do that,assuming it's not the battery,i guess there's something wrong with the inside of the laptop that needs to be taken apart.