PDA

View Full Version : PC failure to boot up.

muzza
20-08-2019, 12:56 PM
I have a PC that I built about 8 years ago and has run perfectly ever since - until today!
When I turn the power on the fans etc come to life, runs for about 5 seconds with nothing coming up on the screen before it shuts down and tries again.
I gave everthing a good look over and cleaned the air intake into the PSU which was clogged up! My first thought is the PSU is faulty or cooked??
Tried taking out the RAM one stick at a time with same fault. Tried unplugging the motherboard power but it wont do anything with that unplugged. Also unplugged all the HD's but that didnt make any difference. It gets back to the PSU or the Motherboard???
Any thoughts on this??

piroska
20-08-2019, 02:46 PM
PSU first. More than likely, like HDDs they fail often.

And it's a lot easier to test than motherboard.

KarameaDave
20-08-2019, 03:41 PM
Have you checked the RTC/CMOS battery?

zqwerty
20-08-2019, 05:16 PM
Put it into a warm room for a couple of hours, then try to start again, if it goes then it's more than likely the PSU is faulty, it's a well known fault from way back.

muzza
20-08-2019, 05:34 PM
I had done all that so got on the web and did a bit of research. Followed a suggestion of holding the case power button down while turning the power on via the PSU switch. This forced the power supply to stay on and the screen showed that it had a corrupted BIOS. My MB has a duel bios so it updated the main bios, rebooted and I was up and running.
At least I have a spotless/dust free case now and I know that all connections are tight!
Phew!! That was a relief!!

linw
21-08-2019, 09:08 AM
Good work.

Digby
29-08-2019, 12:19 PM
Good skills Muzza!

In my casual experience over the years, computer faults are often the opposite of what you think.
Eg in your case it was the BIOS not PSU, or MB or HDD

Lawrence
29-08-2019, 07:19 PM
I had a blue screen this morning after the latest MS update yesterday

Run cmd sfc/scannow and found corrupted files also ran other checks but found nothing

More here to checks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsJeVnx-Hkg