PDA

View Full Version : New browser

ianhnz
03-08-2019, 04:59 PM
I have been using Chrome for, quite a while now & latterly Opera.
Been reading a lot a bad press about Chrome, last few weeks.
Does Opera use the chrome innards?
Can anyone advise a good, secure browser to use & one that I can copy my my links, passwords,etc,
from chrome?

Ian

pcuser42
03-08-2019, 05:27 PM

Yes, they both use the same Blink engine.

Driftwood
03-08-2019, 05:38 PM
I have been using Chrome for, quite a while now & latterly Opera.
Can anyone advise a good, secure browser to use & one that I can copy my my links, passwords,etc,
from chrome?

Ian

Assuming you are using windows.
Have you concidered using either one of the default ones already installed.

ianhnz
03-08-2019, 05:55 PM
Yes, they both use the same Blink engine.

Yes, thank you, I thought that.
So any ideas on a replacement???

ianhnz
03-08-2019, 05:57 PM
Yes.
I did use Linux Mint 18 for about 18 months & started having problems, so my computer nerd says best to put back on 10.
I do have my doubts,,,
But I did goto MIT & studied Linux, in the 90's...

linw
04-08-2019, 10:24 AM
I'm now using the Microsoft Edge development version that uses the chrome base. It automatically picks up the chrome settings so no hassle there.

Seems to work well so will probably stick with it.

piroska
04-08-2019, 10:43 AM
Yes.
I did use Linux Mint 18 for about 18 months & started having problems, so my computer nerd says best to put back on 10.

What?
Linux is not a browser, it's an O/S.
Your computer nerd isn't much of one if that was the solution.

Poppa John
04-08-2019, 11:25 AM
[QUOTE=Driftwood;1291037]Assuming you are using windows.
Have you concidered using either one of the default ones already installed

What are the names of the ones you are referring to? PJ

Driftwood
04-08-2019, 12:28 PM
That would be Internet Explorer & Edge.

Digby
04-08-2019, 12:43 PM
I'm now Google free
I use Firefox browser (not the best, but at least its not Google)
And DuckDuckGo for my search engine.
Very pleased with my set up.

Poppa John
05-08-2019, 09:17 AM
I'm now Google free
I use Firefox browser (not the best, but at least its not Google)
And DuckDuckGo for my search engine.
Very pleased with my set up.

I am also considering scrapping Google. What were the pros & cons of deleting Google. How did it affect your computer. Thanks. PJ

Poppa John
05-08-2019, 09:25 AM
I am also considering scrapping Google. What were the pros & cons of deleting Google. How did it affect your computer. Thanks. PJ

Further to the above. I opened DuckDuckDo & it tells me to add it to Chrome. If I dump Google that means Chrome will delete as well wont it. PJ

piroska
05-08-2019, 09:31 AM

Like what anyway? I have both, FF and Chrome, use both.
Tracking? I don't have any, both are configured the same pretty much.

As an alternative to Google search, I'd say Bing. Yes it's MS but it is fairly good.

05-08-2019, 12:14 PM

Your PC will work just fine without google.
Android phones wont. :)

Removing google: search, chrome, gmail , ~chrome~ based browsers, you have to replace them with something. Thats the con .

Is that replacement browser being tested for security issues and having regular updates rolled out ?
Can you trust any company that says they dont track you, or says you data is safe with them, or says they dont share your data (then do exactly that)
Its the devil you know vs the devil you dont know .

Poppa John
05-08-2019, 12:58 PM
Your PC will work just fine without google.
Android phones wont. :)

Removing google: search, chrome, gmail , ~chrome~ based browsers, you have to replace them with something. Thats the con .

Is that replacement browser being tested for security issues and having regular updates rolled out ?
Can you trust any company that says they dont track you, or says you data is safe with them, or says they dont share your data (then do exactly that)
Its the devil you know vs the devil you dont know .

Just realised. I am using Gmail as main mail. If I delete Google will I lose Gmail? PJ

05-08-2019, 02:10 PM
Just realised. I am using Gmail as main mail. If I delete Google will I lose Gmail? PJ

You can still access Gmail from Firefox, IE or Edge.

Whats the reason for deleting Google ? You'd start be parts of Googles vast empire via Gmail .
Your online activity is being watched regardless :-)

wainuitech
05-08-2019, 02:47 PM
Just a thought, people may like to start posting what they actually mean.

Google = Search Engine or Chrome Browser or Business.

As 1101 posted "You can still access Gmail from Firefox, IE or Edge." BUT by doing so doesn't really matter as they will still have software in place to track you. It doesn't matter one bit in the slightest if you use another Browser or search engine, you'll still be tracked by something or some site somewhere.

The Only way to get rid of it completely is to shut down your computers, throw away your android phones and stay completely off the internet. :)

05-08-2019, 04:22 PM
Just a thought, people may like to start posting what they actually mean.

Google = Search Engine or Chrome Browser or Business.

Nope.
Google actually means Internet Explorer.
CPU or Hard Drive means The Computer.
:banana

I wont go into what 'Outlook' means

Poppa John
05-08-2019, 04:54 PM
Ok. Thanks People. I think now I now a bit more I'd best leave well alone, I would only stuff things up anyway I was trying to cut the Data Usage down. Looking at W10 Data Usage, Google is by far the biggest at 20 GB per month. Obviously because I have been using it too much, too much youtube.. The total for the last 30 days is close to 30 GB. Thankfully I dont have to pay for it. Looking at other Apps on the list I see that at the low end usage could be only MB. I dont remember using some of these things. Is this an App "reporting back"? Is it possible to stop any App or Site from doing this?
My daughter has signed up for Netflix & put me on as well. I dont see Netflix on Data Usage. Why is that? Thanks. PJ

wainuitech
05-08-2019, 06:08 PM
Nope.
Google actually means Internet Explorer.
CPU or Hard Drive means The Computer.
:banana

I wont go into what 'Outlook' means Ya forgot one , Address Bar, Tell someone to type (A web address in the address bar and most use the search box) Also another, some don't know the difference between Windows and Office :badpc:

Poppa John
06-08-2019, 12:49 PM
Piroska. How & where do you configure tracking. Thanks. PJ