PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Win 10

theother1
18-07-2019, 04:34 PM
I have an older Asus notebook which is fairly high-specked. (Currently shelved as running Vista. Not sure atm of the specs. will have to get it out and fire it up.)
I was thinking of upgrading it to W10 as work is starting to get a bit funny about me using the work Laptop for personal stuff.
I have seen sites from the US and from Aus offering W10 downloads for as little as $40.00. Are they kosher? I am reluctant to spend $400+ to download it from MS but don't want to get caught by some dodgy dealer who may not provide a useable O/S.

Any advice would be appreciated, Thank you.

wainuitech
18-07-2019, 05:12 PM
You'll find a LOT of dodgy Deals on the internet, some are more realistic, but many aren't. Some will work for a short while then deactivate.

Work on the assumption if its to cheap a price then its fake.

There's no need to spend $400, buy it from a legit NZ shop and you wont have a problem. looking on price Spy https://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=3230606

There's another way as well if you have a W7-W8.1 licence, some say its not legit anymore, but it will still activate on those licences. Got a persons Laptop right now they did it yesterday, but now discovered the drives basically stuffed :) so installing a new SSD.

gary67
18-07-2019, 08:02 PM
A few members will jump on here soon and try to bludgeon you into Linux. I'm not one of them as I like aspects of both and prefer Windows for most things as the software I use and have I would need to buy again as there is no free versions for Linux.

If you like Windows stay with it.

theother1
19-07-2019, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. As I said I have Vista Home and I think MS wanted to get as far away as possible as quickly as possible from this dog. My understanding is that it was never supported once it was dumped.
I will check Pricespy and see whats on offer.
Cheers again.
Rob

theother1
19-07-2019, 09:36 AM
Yes, I went down the Linux line when I first found that Vista was no longer be supported. Sadly, I couldn't figure out how to get it to run on my Laptop. (not as computer literate as I thought I was).
I put it in the cupboard and left it when I got a work laptop, but as I said there are murmurs afoot in the office.

theother1
19-07-2019, 09:38 AM
What is the diff between home and Pro?

19-07-2019, 10:13 AM
What is the diff between home and Pro?

Pro has a few more features, like slightly more control over Winupdates and the ability to connect to a MS Server Domain.
Its just MS finding a way to charge buseness's more $

Are the cheap ebay lic legit ?
The are just as legit as upgrading from 7 to 10 (thats no longer actually legit, even though it works) .

The ebay lic , from what I read, were once legit lic, but not legit to be re-sold for Public use .
Get one from one of the popular sellers of these things and you should be OK.

Legit licence for your use: no. Works , yes (depending on seller).