PDA

View Full Version : Want to buy a 4K IPS PC monitor

Misty
29-06-2019, 01:45 PM
It is about time I got into the 21st century. Aiming to lash out and buy a PC monitor 4K, IPS. They seem to frequently come in 27″ size, though some are bigger.
I use a second monitor to have my photo-editing program on, keeping the larger monitor for the image. The screen resolution and aspect ratio for all seem to be
the same - ie, 3840 X 2160 pixels and ratio 16:9.

The one which has caught my eye so far is the LG 27UK650-W.

I see that apart for IPS monitors there are also VA, which I had not heard of today, so must start googling.

Any ideas and suggestions welcome!

Misty
29-06-2019, 05:27 PM
Don't worry responding folks, thanks anyway. In the four hours since posting I am done a lot of research and the results were great and clear. It was at a special offer for $649 for the weekend and I have already bought it. I decided that I would keep with IPS. I asked the young man at PB Tech to check for me whether my current graphics card could handle it (plus the side monitor I am keeping) - he checked it out and assured me that it could. So, all is sweet! A great present for my 75th birthday, which is next month.

wainuitech
29-06-2019, 06:34 PM
Bit late, but looking at the following https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/ips-led-vs-va-lcd Its a bit of a ho-hum - some options are better over the other when comparing ISP-VA. Really depends on what you are doing.

Either way I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Brought myself a 27" AOC Frames less a few months back since my old 22" monitor decided it was time to give up the ghost -- Holey Crap !! The difference was amazing :D :eek:

dugimodo
30-06-2019, 10:25 PM
for me I'll not go back to TN panels unless there's a technology change or I decide that high refresh gaming is something I need (unlikely).

The viewing angles and colour is just noticeably better since I went IPS. Even my cheap(ish) 32" 2560x1080 LG IPS ultrawide seems so much nicer than previous monitors I've owned.

I'm avoiding 4K on purpose though until mid range graphics cards can game on that resolution reliably. It's only since the 1080ti that it's been possible for AA games at 4k to be played at high quality at 4K, I'm waiting until a cheaper card can do it.
I tried researching what downscaling to 1080P on a 4K monitor looked like but there's just not clear enough answers easily found other than it's not quite as good as native 1080P