PDA

View Full Version : error message

20-01-2002, 12:30 AM
have recieved error message 'Regenv32 has caused error', followed by the message 'unable to synchronize the enivronment variables in the windows registry with the environment variables in the legacy files Autoexec.bat and/or Config.sys' followed by a message that the variables were found in the legacy files and moved to the windows registry. The solution to this problem on the windows website is to edit trailing space characters or edit config.sys or autoexec.bat neither of which i know anything about. Any help would be much appreciated. Running Windows ME.

20-01-2002, 10:51 AM
To edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys open Notepad then find C:\autoexec.bat (NOTE: change the 'Files of Type' from .txt to all files).

If this file isn't shown open Windows Explorer (<Windows Key>+E), select View, Folder Options, View, and check the box for 'Show All Files' (near the top of the list).

If you have ANY DOUBTS about what you are doing make a back up copy - save it as autoexec1.bat, close this then reopen the autoexec.bat file.

Now see if you can find the error.

2 lines out of my autoexec.bat are:

rem ---------------------- MTM ATAPI CD-ROM ----------------------

C:\essolo.com

Any line starting with rem has been commented out (ie it may be an old line no longer in use or a comment to describe something).

The second line says find the file essolo.com in the root directory of C: drive and run it.

If the problem is trailing spaces I guess the answer is click on a line, hit the <end> button and delete any spaces at the end of the line.

Do the same to the config.sys file.

If you find lines you don't understand post them back here.

20-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Have looked in autoexec.bak not bat file and config sys as per instructions. Autoexec had 7 lines all starting with set and the config sys file was empty. Any further advise. Thanks