PDA

View Full Version : Computer not starting #2

20-01-2002, 12:26 AM
Okay, thanks to everyone for your suggestions to my earlier post.

I think I've ruled out the HDD now. I whacked the HDD into my system and it works fine, boots straight through, no registry errors, no pauses at the verifying DMI part everything goes perfect. Stick it back in the other system and problems galore.

Could it be the motherboard? CPU? RAM? Its not the IDE cable, cause I've checked that already (using the cable from that system in my system now and its going fine).

If its the motherboard, how do I tell? its still under warranty (the motherboard and CPU are under warranty, the rest of the system isn't) so I could take it back, but how do I find out if that really is the problem, or if its deeper?

Just as a reminder, this is my problem:

Celeron 700, 64mb RAM, 15gb HDD, DVD, Win98SE. Freezes on boot at the Win98 screen (almost as soon as it comes up). if I press esc it has something like Verifying DMI pool or something onscreen. If I restart it boots to Win98, but finds registry errors etc and have to restart 2 or 3 times before it starts normally.

20-01-2002, 12:51 AM
Do you know if your computer is using the same hard drive bios settings as the other computer? I remember switching a hard drive from a custom built computer into a compaq computer & the compaq bios thought it would use it's own settings for the hard drive.

Also try booting into dos from a floppy disk then use Fdisk to see if it recognises your drive.

I'll go read the previous posting since I missed it

20-01-2002, 01:18 AM
FDisk finds it fine, and the bios seems to find it... names the drive and everything like the other system does... haven't really compared all the settings though, but they looked okay to me (from memory)

20-01-2002, 03:15 AM
Mike, I'm not a techie, so take this with the pinch of salt it deserves. My instinct is that it's still a power problem.

Have you tried replacing the current (pardon the pun) power supply with one from another box to see what happens?

This is basically the same suggestion I made before, but I'm not sure if you tried it, or rejected it 'cos it sounds too silly to be bothered with.

If this is a time-waster, you have my apologies. Good luck with your diagnosis,

Andy. :-)

20-01-2002, 08:24 AM
Did you try my silly idea?
You don't even need a screwdriver, if it works then the mother board is at fault.

20-01-2002, 12:12 PM
Hello Mike,
Have you tried the hard drive from your system or another HDD to see if that boots up ok in your Dads? I cant see from the other postings whether you tried that. If it doesnt, then it sounds like it could be a bios problem. Did you try Alans suggestion of re-setting the cmos?

If you can get hold of the correct bios, and maybe yours is the same?, it may pay you to re-flash the bios just in case it has got a glitch.
Cheers

20-01-2002, 01:22 PM
Terry, I tried Alan's suggestion of re-setting the cmos, which had no effect - same problem.

I haven't tried my HDD in the system yet, I was trying to avoid that because of the hardware troubles Windows has when it finds all these new pieces of hardware when it loads - but I think its gonna have to come to that now. Although I have had my HDD running in this system before, as it used to be my system until I got a new computer, and I took my HDD out and put it into my new system, and put an old 15gb into the old one. The 15gb works fine in my system, as does my other drive, and my drive WAS working fine in the old system, where the 15gb doesn't seem to like it.

But I'll try putting my drive in there and seeing what happens.

20-01-2002, 01:41 PM
More Info:

The hard drive seems to be unsupported by Maxtor now. Its a Quantum lct15 15gb, part number qml15000lc-a (which a websearch found a few sites, which were just retail places and all of them said the product was discontinued). Quantum and Maxtor sites don't even have any reference to it, either under lct15 or qml15000.

But something I DID manage to find somewhere on the net was that the drive is (it seems) 4400rpm. Could this be part of the problem? Maybe the motherboard/bios or something doesn't like that speed for an HDD?

20-01-2002, 03:30 PM
BIOS should know NOTHING about revs/minute. Data coming off the disk have to be clocked by timing imbedded/generated from data.

Have you tried using the slowest PIO mode?

20-01-2002, 11:25 PM
Hey I know its a long shot but the current HDD in my computer came from a HP and did all sorts of crazy **** until I formatted the MBR seperately, I would be guessing you have tried that by the sounds of it. It was just HP did something to the MBR to make it accept its recovery disks, so other manufacturers may do the same?? as I said its a long shot.

21-01-2002, 11:37 AM
Tazzie,

Just wondering how you 'formatted the MBR seperately'?

You could be right, that might be what it is, but I've fdisked and formatted a dozen times now, and still nothing.