PDA

View Full Version : HDD is now RAW fromat!

Bryan
05-06-2019, 08:09 PM
I loaned a PC to a family member who said, after a month or two, that the PC was no longer working.

I donít know how he did it but the m/b seems to have failed, but more of a concern is the damage done to the 2TB WD green HDD. I had partitioned it into two, 1st partition had the OS and the 2nd was blank.

Both partitions are now showing RAW. The blank partition I have been able to restore to HTFS and it appears in the File Explorer as such. However MS Disk Management and ANOMEI partition manager do not want to know. I have tried WD tools and that hasnít helped either.

To access the HDD I have used a Welland dock to connect as a USB 3.0 to my PC. Loading the HDD this way takes quite awhile and the 1st partition just keeps going. Other than trying to deal with Diskpart, are there any other recommended ways I could try or should I use the HDD as an anchor?

wainuitech
05-06-2019, 09:13 PM
What are you trying to do exactly ??

The description doesn't really say - Are you trying to recover the data or simply wipe the partitions and start again ???

Western Digital greens are known as a slow drive. OK (ish) for backups but wouldn't use them as a main drive. They had a reputation of more failures as well.

As for software, one I came across a while back was Disk Genius https://www.diskgenius.com/?from=dg It read and managed to get badly corrupted partitions off whennone of the others would.

Disk part will ( or should) completely wipe a drive of everything as well as all partitions. BUT if the drives faulty, theres no point = Door stop / paperweight.

kioti
06-06-2019, 12:46 AM
I loaned a PC to a family member who said, after a month or two, that the PC was no longer working.

I don’t know how he did it but the m/b seems to have failed, but more of a concern is the damage done to the 2TB WD green HDD. I had partitioned it into two, 1st partition had the OS and the 2nd was blank.

Both partitions are now showing RAW. The blank partition I have been able to restore to HTFS and it appears in the File Explorer as such. However MS Disk Management and ANOMEI partition manager do not want to know. I have tried WD tools and that hasn’t helped either.

To access the HDD I have used a Welland dock to connect as a USB 3.0 to my PC. Loading the HDD this way takes quite awhile and the 1st partition just keeps going. Other than trying to deal with Diskpart, are there any other recommended ways I could try or should I use the HDD as an anchor?

Bryan, hi. I assume by m/b you mean the Motherboard, so if the Motherboard has failed how are you managing to see the Hard drive showing as now being RAW? By saying the 2nd partition was blank, do you mean that it had no data stored to it or that it was a Partition of Unallocated space which would not show in Explorer anyway if it was not formatted to a file system, say NTFS. I also assume that "HTFS" is a typo and should be NTFS......Unless of course you do mean HTFS which is High Throughput File System (HTFS) is the journaling file system used by current versions of SCO OpenServer. It is the successor of EAFS. The htfs is a fuse (userspace) file system. It lives entirely in ram. Of which I have zero knowledge. :D
Ok, so you have the HDD connected to a Welland Dock which you have connected to your PC. If the OS that was on that HDD was not installed in your PC when the OS was installed to it then it most likely will not boot into the OS because the BIOS settings for it will not be the same as what the Hardware is in your PC. Having said that, I have managed to connect HDD's from discarded computers into my computer and they would boot into the OS that was on the HDD... but that was way back in the days of Windows 98 / Win XP / Windows 2K But a friend in Invercargill had a computer that wasn't working properly, OS had gone corrupted and he had his Windows 7 Ultimate x64 insatallation DVD that he wanted installed to the HDD in his computer so I outed the HDD, connected it into my PC and installed the W7 Ultimate x64 to the HDD and when replacing it into his PC it booted up without a problem at all. And I had a AMD Athlon II x4 CPU and different MBoard than that which he had in his PC. Sometimes it does work. But that was about 2008. Anyway, I have gone well away from the topic you are asking for help with so I get back to it.
I have a very similar issue that you are describing with a 4TB external Sata HDD that I managed to screw up the GPT 500MB Partition that contained the Boot record that is vital to get the HDD to operate and show itself in " My Computer" , in Explorer where when you click to go and open 'My Computer' or 'This PC' and you get to see all the hard drives and optic drives/usb drives/flash drives connected to your computer. As a result of having a screwed GPT Reserved partition holding the necessary data/files to get the HDD to boot open, the HDD will not show in My Computer or This Computer. It is invisible. But the HDD can be seen if I use the Disk Management tool of the W10 OS I have installed. What it shows is the 500MB GPT System Reserved partition and then it shows a long rectangle of 3.67TB Unallocated space. That 'Unallocated Space ' contains all the data/files/Movies/Music/Stored Programs and I cannot access any of it. To do that I have to Recover the GPT Reserved partition. I cannot do that, I have tried many apps to look at the GPT Partition and rebuild the MBR so that the unallocated Space will miraculously reappear and I can access the data or add new data to the HDD Free space. I cannot rebuild the GPT MBR or recover it because it has been wiped out. There is nothing in the partition to recover and I do not have an app that will rebuild the MBR. I tried using Easeus Partition Master free app, created a winpe CD , Easeus Partition Magic downloads the winpe files needed to create the bootable CD or usb flashdrive of winpe so that when computer is rebooted it will boot and load the winpe files and that then opens the Easeus Partition Master app installed to computer and then I can set about using the Rebuild MBR facility that Easeus has, but for me it would NOT do it, because all it showed was the C Drive and not the External 4TB F Drive on which the partition that I want to rebuild the MBR resides. So I am in stuck there.
Now I have not intended to hijack your Thread, I have posted Threads about the issue I described to you and have had great advice and help but unfortunately the 4TB Drive is on the sideline waiting for me to find a way to get it back to life.
So back now to the issues you are having with your RAW HDD Partitions. I did a Google for "computer hard drive shows as RAW" …. inaccessible and unusable.
All I can do is put here a link that has pages or hits you can look at and hopefully find something that works for you. I have used all the suggested Apps to look into the HDD and see that all is still there on the HDD in the Unallocated Space but I have not tried to do any recovery of the data because it is NOT deleted...it is there I the "Lost Partition" I need the MBR recovered. That's my hard road. Yours I think is very similar, but you just might succeed where I have thus far failed. It is NOT good practice to attempt to recover any the data because trying to do a recovery with many different apps can completely destroy the data thus making that HDD a paperweight. Of course I could imply Format the 4GB external HDD and have a good as new HDD with 3.7TB NTFS free space. And I could then use recovery tools to try to recover the data that was there but has been wiped out by the Formatting if the HDD. I have done that before but a 4TB HDD is going to take hours, a day if not day and a half to recover all that 3.67TB of data.
Here is 1 link for you

https://www.bing.com/search?q=computer+hard+drive+shows+as+RAW&form=EDNTHT&mkt=en-nz&httpsmsn=1&plvar=0&refig=b6c3e0afee494e5a92642a2bf4a3bf12&sp=-1&pq=computer+hard+drive+shows+as+&sc=0-29&qs=n&sk=&cvid=b6c3e0afee494e5a92642a2bf4a3bf12

https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/hard-disk-became-raw.html

Sorry I not been of much help to you and maybe I shouldn't post this reply to your thread, but it is written and ready to go. Maybe you might see something in it that is beneficial to you. I hope you do.
Tell you what would be a great help: If you could post an attachment of a screenshot that actually shows the hard drive and its partitions that are now RAW. … Maqube Disk Management will do that for you, I know that Easeus Partition Master Home will allow you to see the hard drive and show the state of them. You would be able to take a screenshot if Easeus Graphical layout of all the HDD's in or connected to the computer(it is free to get and use).
Good luck

Bryan
06-06-2019, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the helpful replies but to me this is not a biggy. The drive seems to be stuffed and I will hold it for a rainy day to look more deeply into it, just for the sake of trying to learn from trying to correct it.

Otherwise it will become a paper-weight.

dugimodo
06-06-2019, 09:38 AM
It's not necessarily dead, I have a 4 disk drive enclosure that seemed to randomly do that to the WD green 2TB drives I had in it so I just stopped using that enclosure and repartitioned the disks and they were fine.
It might be faulty, it might just be corrupted. I'd just delete all partitions and start over and see what happens if it was me, nothing to lose unless there's data on the drive you are hoping to recover.

06-06-2019, 09:52 AM
....WD green HDD.....

say no more,awefull things :badpc:

You could try diskpart to completely wipe it : diskpart, list disk, select disk # , clean .
Then re-initialise & format
Then use WD's test tool to test it

Bryan
06-06-2019, 09:58 AM
There is nothing I want to recover. However, the HDD was in two partitions D: & E:. D: contained an OS, E: was blank. Somehow I have got rid of the RAW condition in E: and it shows 1.67TB, it is devoid of any programs, a blank partition! D: appears to be no longer RAW but I cannot get it to appear on the File Explorer. The HDD is sitting in the dock hoping to be recognized but it is not. Taking forever, going nowhere!

Disk Management, Minitools, DiskGenius, Acronis WDtools and Aomei just sit and wait. They all start up if I cut the power to the dock. So, the problem is that D: is totally inaccessible