PDA

View Full Version : Rollback from W10 v 1903 to v 1809 and reinstal 1903 or scrap the lot and start fresh

kioti
04-06-2019, 06:41 PM
Hi. A question or two about W10 v1903. The Official release.
The 1903 that I have installed has develped a few problems that I have mentioned in other threads so I won't go to deeply into them here.
Calculator was there in 1903 but has disappeared. Seach finds nothing. Using Run to search for Calc.exe finds nothing. Calc file exists in System 32 but is not an exe or .dll. Double click the calc entry and get zero esponse.
Visual C++ 2013 I had notifiaction to remove it. Can't remember if it was Vis C++ 86 or x64.
System restore hadn't completed after 6 hours doing the Registry
Anyway, on to my questions.
I have a full back up of the W10 v1809 Pro I had installed. I can download a new ISO of the W10 v 1903x64 or use the Windows tool to upgrade the v1809 I may roll back to.
Rolling back will cause loss of new Programs/ Updates/ Game advancement that I now have in the 1903 W10 I am running since I upgraded to it
So, would I be best to rollback to v1809 x64 Pro and then upgrade to the latest W10 v 1903 version using the Windows tool or would I be better off scrapping all that is on the C Drive and Fresh instal W10 v1903 Pro x64 and then get all updates and Netfx and Visual C++ and all drivers installed from doing a fresh start?
W10 I have now is on the Corsair Force MP300 M.2 NVMe SSD

thanks
Asus Prime B450M-A./ AMD Ryzen5 2400G./ GSkill FlareX DDR4 16GB 2933 (@2400MHz.)/ Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GD5./ Corsair Force MP300 M.2 SSD./ Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD./ Corsair HX750 PSU./ W10 x64 Pro v1903...……..

wainuitech
04-06-2019, 08:43 PM
Try running a few commands first. From CMD as admin.

sfc /scannow

Then

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

"IF" either of those commands appear to hang at any point DONT stop them, as they will b e repairing the faults. Stopping them by force will often cause even more damage.

You can try a repair install if that doesn't sort it.

Simple enough to do. Load up the media 1903 is on, Either DVD or a Mounted ISO ( Not USB) then click on setup.exe and follow onscreen. Once it starts it can take several hours so just let it run, stopping it will almost guarantee an unbootable system.

No Idea as to whats caused the original corruption, can be from many sources.

kioti
05-06-2019, 12:46 AM
Try running a few commands first. From CMD as admin.

sfc /scannow

Then

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

"IF" either of those commands appear to hang at any point DONT stop them, as they will b e repairing the faults. Stopping them by force will often cause even more damage.

You can try a repair install if that doesn't sort it.

Simple enough to do. Load up the media 1903 is on, Either DVD or a Mounted ISO ( Not USB) then click on setup.exe and follow onscreen. Once it starts it can take several hours so just let it run, stopping it will almost guarantee an unbootable system.

No Idea as to whats caused the original corruption, can be from many sources.

wainuitech, cheers. I will try the Command prompts as Admin first...I start doing that now.
As for a Repair install I never considered doing that because the only repair-instal I have ever done when an OS went bad on me was the Repair Upgrade to a higher version of OS which is why when I was using W7 I always installed Professional so I could up to Ultimate if needs be.
I have the W10 Pro x64 v 1903 on DVD, from the link you suppled me a 6 to 8 weeks ago.
I will go perform the CMD prompts now and if no success then I will start the repair install from the DVD and go bed let it do its thing while I seep.
cheers
Garry

kioti
05-06-2019, 01:35 AM
ok I completed the Command prompts, did them separately and not in same Command prompt window.
Both tests completed in 5 minutes each and sfc /scannow found no problems and the dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth operation completed successfully. Rebooted and still no calculator showing in Start/Programs. I will now set the repair instal into motion and maybe watch it for a hour.

kioti
05-06-2019, 03:49 AM
Ok I did the repair install and still no reshow of Calculator in Start -> Programs. When repair install reached 74% computer rebooted, when it came back onscreen I got a window saying "It looks like you started an upgrafe and booted from installation media. If you want to continue with the upgrade , remove the media from your PC and click Yes. If you want to perform a clean installation instead, click No" well I didn't boot from installation disc I was running the repair install from open W10 and on reboot I did not click to boot from dvd or cd.When given the choices of clicking Yes or No I took a stab at clicking Yes because I didn't want a clean installation. Maybe I do not understand MS Windows logical English! I mean I was doing a clean installation as a repair installation having opted to keep all apps and settings!
This is beyond my simple brain really. What is the logic in that Window and its two options? Beyond this halfwit!
Methinks its rollback to 1809 from the Windows.old in the C Drive and then upgrade to 1903 again either from the DVD I have created or get it direct installed using the Windows tool or the update assistant. Or maybe I just don't trust them because I so thick in the head and can't understand Yank English so I just Dload the ISO and throw out all I have in C Drive apart from docs and pics and any media files I will save elsewhere, and I do a Clean Fresh installation of W10 v 1903.
A few pics where someone may be able to tell me that I shoulda click option No :D
Cheers wainuitech, much obliged for your help and suggestions

Garry

Bryan
05-06-2019, 08:56 AM
Did 1803 have the Calculator installed? If so then "Methinks its rollback to 1809 from the Windows.old in the C Drive and then upgrade to 1903 again either from the DVD I have created". However, is the DVD made from a downloaded copy of the Media ISO to be used on "other installations at a later time"? If so OK. If not, I would do it again so that the DVD could be used on other installations, don't quite know why my mind says this other than it should apply all the necessary addons such as Calculator and give you a sound operating system. I wouldn't tie your system up trying to upgrade from the MS download to your system, do it by ISO.

kioti
05-06-2019, 09:53 AM
To finish off this thread, I will say that I did the upgrade install again but this time I used the MediaCreation Tool 1903, and chose option "Upgrade this computer now" The program was downloaded and install began with option to keep all apps etc. Many updates were downloaded also. When it reached 74% installing I was waiting for it to restart like it did when I used the DVD of 1903. Happily I saw it go to 75% and steadily climb to 89% where it was hanging for 7-8minutes (as it did many times through the install) I looked away from screen for a couple of secs and showed it was going to restart. When it did it began installing the updates and after 3 restarts update install reached 100% (which it didn't the last attempt to repair install. Then after 3rd restart I had to log in to get windows usable and I was greeted with a lack screen and the word Hi. Then We have updates for you...after all was done I had open desktop. Sadly, Calculator is still not there for me to use. Baffles me that the Calc (exe) is in Windows System 32 and SysWOW64 ad will not show in Start/Programs. So at the end of the day now its a case of tolerate the no calc and get a 3rd party gadget of calculator.. roll back to v1899 that did have calculator, again try the upgrade save all apps etc, or Start from scratch. I will decide on that by the weekend. If I do the Fresh instal of W10 Pro v1903 x 64 well I just might buy a new M.2 NVMe for it and keep the existing one to play with as a 'try and fix it' challenge.
Cheers and thanks.

Garry

wainuitech
05-06-2019, 10:27 AM
If you click on the windows store, in search type in Calc Click it

Does it say its Installed and Launch or Install ??

If it says its installed then there's still more that can be done, have a read, methods 2, 5,and 6.

Edited: helps if I put the link :) https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-corrupted-calculator-app-on-windows-10/

bk T
05-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Simple enough to do. Load up the media 1903 is on, Either DVD or a Mounted ISO ( Not USB) then click on setup.exe and follow onscreen. ...

MS still having problems with USB?

wainuitech
05-06-2019, 11:32 AM
MS still having problems with USB? No Idea, I i'm still using a slightly earlier ISO ( when it first came out to public) so they may have sorted it by now. But on the insider forum its been mentioned it wont be fixed until the next release.

BTW, its usually only if trying to upgrade from a USB ( doesn't effect all USB installs) , done quite a few fresh installs and upgrades from USB without any problems.

Jedsdad
05-06-2019, 12:12 PM
I just upgraded my PC using Windows Update, the "Download and Install" message had finally appeared this morning. Previously I had tried using the Media Creation Tool and had received a message to say I could not update at this time.
I got the same message on my laptop, presumably it is related to the USB issue but I also heard it can be affected by an additional SATA connection which I had on both the PC and Laptop.

Anyway I am up and running fine on my PC on Version 1903.
My laptop still has not been offered the "Download and Install" through Windows Update

So I will wait now for it to appear on the laptop, it will appear sometime who knows in a week or so, time will tell.
Not concerned now.

kioti
05-06-2019, 12:33 PM
If you click on the windows store, in search type in Calc Click it

Does it say its Installed and Launch or Install ??

If it says its installed then there's still more that can be done, have a read, methods 2, 5,and 6.

Edited: helps if I put the link :) https://ugetfix.com/ask/how-to-fix-corrupted-calculator-app-on-windows-10/

wainuitech, hi. Yep, about 1 week ago I went to the windows store, searched for calc, clicked on the instal and after that it said this is installed and to click the Launch tab. I did that and received no response. Here is a pic
I will have a read of the info on the link you added.
Incidently, I include a pic showing the Updates I have...there's not too many at all.
Cheers

kioti
05-06-2019, 02:12 PM
wainuitech, hi... Ok, from the link you supplied I used Method 1 and took pics of the 4 steps ending up at Reset the app, unfortunately it has not bought Calculator back in usable Programs. I haven't rebooted the comp yet.
I had to consider that in pic 3, Advanced Options: Specifications, there are zero bytes showing foe App, Data, Total usage.
Here are the pics showing the steps I took. The info text for the pics content shows if hover mouse over the pic, as you well know I am sure :D

Now I will try Method 2...but first I will reboot and check to see if Calculator is still absent from Start->Programs.
Cheers
Garry

CliveM
05-06-2019, 03:02 PM
Try turning App Permissions "Background Apps" to On (Your picture 3)
Mine works fine and that is about all that is different in yours.

kioti
05-06-2019, 03:46 PM
Did 1803 have the Calculator installed? If so then "Methinks its rollback to 1809 from the Windows.old in the C Drive and then upgrade to 1903 again either from the DVD I have created". However, is the DVD made from a downloaded copy of the Media ISO to be used on "other installations at a later time"? If so OK. If not, I would do it again so that the DVD could be used on other installations, don't quite know why my mind says this other than it should apply all the necessary addons such as Calculator and give you a sound operating system. I wouldn't tie your system up trying to upgrade from the MS download to your system, do it by ISO.

Bryan, hi. Yep 1809 x64 Pro had the calculator and when I installed the v1903 from a DVD I created from an ISO the link to which I was supplied from our fellow member, wainuitech. It was not the official release from MS Update or a Developers version of W10 v 1903 Pro, it was a release that was RTM and was about a month pre MS rolling it out, which is available as an Windows update/upgrade but it is not going out to all users of W10 v1809 from what I have read, its being sent out in batches to various countries kinda like a drip feed :D
The v1903 that I downloaded from the link wainuitech supplied he said he had upgraded a few computers with it and there were no issues at all. So that is good enough for me.
When I upgraded to v1903 Pro x64 calculator was there for me to use until one day it just vanished a week to and a bit ago. I don't use the utility very often but it is handy to have so I can use it when needed. The mystery is that various checks I have done show a positive and calculator is installed yet as I have said , using Search to unhide it returns "No results found for calculator" It was shortly after Windows installed some update/s that calculator vanished... by shortly I mean a day. I do not know what the updates were but it has been since that instal of updates that my computer has developed a couple of issues, such as informing me that Visual C++ 2013 was not for this computer and Windows took it upon itself to remove Vis C++ 2013, I cannot remember if it was x86 or x64 but as it stands now I have neither x86 nor x64 vis c++ 2013 installed in my computer.
My W10 Pro x64 v1903 was as sound as a pound until calculator vanished. Ok, so I can get a 3rd party calculator in among a Desktop Gadgets app and use that, however, it just has me wondering what has gone wrong. I don't know if you have read my posts from the past 2 days but I have been through many tests such as Command prompts as Admin for sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, both completed in 5 minutes and all was as it should be. So something is well screwy.
Cheers for the interest and advice.
Garry

edit: the only reason I am hesitant to do the rollback to v1809 is that there is a computer game I play called Sniper Elite 4 and I have been playing it for 3 to 4 months. I have advanced from Cadet to Sniper Elite Hard mode, and if I roll back I will lose a LOT of the progress I have made because there is no Save folder in the instal Directory...the same as for Sniper elite V2 and V3.

kioti
05-06-2019, 04:10 PM
Try turning App Permissions "Background Apps" to On (Your picture 3)
Mine works fine and that is about all that is different in yours.

CliveM, hi. Yeah that caught my eye the Add Permissions: Background Apps showing as being Turned off but I didn't want to be doing things I not sure about although I thought well it wouldn't do any damage if I turned them on. I will give it a go. Thanks
Having said I didn't want to be doing things I am not sure about, I did make the change in the Picture 4 "Reset" .And I should read all that is in the replies from fellow members guides suggested... wainuitech never mention Method 1 :D Alas...well now I am going to attempt Method 2...after I have done as you suggest and turn Background Apps to the On mode.
Cheers
Garry
edit...well my doing the Reset as shown in Picture 4 and a reboot and now MS Calculator is nowhere to be seen in Apps and Features
looking like its going to have to be a System restore back to 1 hour ago if there is one

kioti
05-06-2019, 04:39 PM
Yay!!! I am pleased to announce that I now have Calculator installed and accessible. After not seeing it in Apps and Features as shown in my reply to CliveM suggesting I go and turn on the Background apps and finding there is no Calculator entry to allow me to turn on the Background Apps, I guessed that the Calculator app was uninstalled, so...I went to Windows store and downloaded it again, once installed I clicked the Launch tab and up on screen came my lost calculator.
Thanks to all of you for you help and support. Round-about way of getting a positive outcome but all input helped get what I wanted back where it belongs.
Cheers, I am much obliged to you all
Garry

kioti
05-06-2019, 05:05 PM
Now, I am going to make a fresh AOMEI System backup to replace any others I have made since the Backup of the W10 Pro x64 v1809 which I made about 2 months ago. I will keep that and the Backup I am now going to create. I think that it would be a very good Idea. :D

kioti
10-06-2019, 12:09 AM
Done...…...system is back as it was on 28th May. Edge is great again and I using it now. Sniper Elite 4 opens to play. Happy day. Now I go do some things and update my Comodo because its outa date.
ciao