PDA

View Full Version : CCleaner cleared out my passwords even though that possibility theoretically excluded

Misty
02-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Just yesterday I did a cleanout using CCleaner. I use Windows 10 and Microsoft Edge. Despite my having passwords on Edge unticked, today I find that I have to re-enter all my passwords. So it appears clear that we are not as in control as we would like to be. I have used CCleaner, seemingly forever, but not had this type of issue before. Anyone else having problems?

piroska
02-06-2019, 02:46 PM
be glad. I never recommend auto logins. It's an easy way for passwords to be stolen.
Tut tut to you

Misty
02-06-2019, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the feedback piroska, I am now suitably chastised! :waughh: Nevertheless, in my very busy life after being retired for ten years by 1 October, I do not have time or, more importantly, patience, to login each time. Not having to do so, must have given me an extra couple of months to enjoy what I do. Have not suffered so far :) Can that be bad?? :banana

wainuitech
02-06-2019, 06:25 PM
Happens a lot, simple fix - first run ccleaner to clear out the junk (trust me on this) . Open the site you want to keep, log in / save etc, Then in Ccleaner on the left go to "Options - Cookies" Select (highlight) the site you want to keep - Then on the right ( Centered column as pictured) Click on the Right facing Arrow -> This will keep the login /Cookie.

If you dont run Ccleaner first you'll get hundreds of entries, and they can be a pain to locate.

b....
02-06-2019, 07:04 PM
Hi wainuitech, do you still recommend CCleaner?

wainuitech
03-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Hi wainuitech, do you still recommend CCleaner?Still use it and install. The only thing you have to watch out for is if they try in install Either Chrome or Avast as they are pre-ticked to install. (unless you want them of course).

Ccleaner has taken out some logins for many years unless you tell it to not delete certain ones.

Misty
03-06-2019, 06:40 PM
Ccleaner has taken out some logins for many years unless you tell it to not delete certain ones.

Good feedback wainuitech, however in this instance CCleaner has ignored instructions and seemingly done its own thing? So, this would
seem to badly diminish its credibility. In summary, I had faith in it, believed its integrity ............ but now I have serious doubts and am
not sure what to do in the future.

What do you think in view of this?

wainuitech
03-06-2019, 08:46 PM
What do you think in view of this? Whats my View ?? -- Ho-Hum :)

It seems to be depending on the browser being used as well.

Some of the saved passwords hold some don't, BUT as piroska Posted, I don't have user names / passwords auto saved, there's only 1 or 2 sites that I have auto login.

Poppa John
05-06-2019, 08:26 PM
Have you tried Google password finder. They may have some of them stored. PJ