PDA

View Full Version : cd rom

19-01-2002, 06:17 PM
Hi all...
have recently formatted an unused part of harddrive on pc and it now shows up a d:
now the cd rom will not show up anywhere, how can i find it again?

thanks in advance
g t

19-01-2002, 06:29 PM
have you tried deleteing the cd-rom from device manager so it might reinstall and be given an un-used drive letter?

19-01-2002, 06:30 PM
Your cd was probably D: before you created the new disk so it will now probably be drive E:. It should show up in My Computer or Windows Explorer, which ever you use. Refer to the posting about cd rom drive letters further down the main page.

19-01-2002, 06:50 PM
Thanks guys but i have removed from device manager.. tried add/remove hardware wizard and it detect no new hardware...
in My Computer i only have a:, c:, and d:, C & D are both hard-drive

19-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Thanks guys but i have removed from device manager.. tried add/remove hardware wizard and it detect no new hardware...
in My Computer i only have a:, c:, and d:, C & D are both hard-drive

19-01-2002, 09:05 PM
You should make sure the bios is recognizing the CD, when the computer boots up.

Set the Primary slave or Secondry master (which ever one your CD is connected to) to auto, exit and save, then when the computer reboots, you will be able to see if the bios finds the CD.

If it can't find it, then check your cables.

If it does find it, then windows should install it.

If windows doesn't install it then come back with more info, Operating system, computer & cd specs.

Goodluck.

20-01-2002, 02:01 AM
thanks KO...dont want to sound like to much of an amature bt how do i find out what the cd drive is set to?
thanks in advance g

20-01-2002, 02:11 AM
sorry ko answered that myself.. on startup get cd showing as secondary slave which is set to auto in standard cmos....it that what i should be doing...
if so i have to wait untill the missus goes out to get the screwdrivers out as it is her sisters pc and they are both scared of me and tools..

thanks heaps for all the advise ....

20-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Explain to us, how you knew there was an unused part on the HDD, and how you formatted it.

Also what OS are you using?

If it is an older computer, you may have an unusual CD that windows doesn't recognise, like a Philips cm207.

Give more info!

20-01-2002, 08:03 PM
HI KO.
pc got the HD formatted before i started playing on it so not to sure why it got done or how it got discovered... am using win me and pc about 18months old, what else can i tell you?

21-01-2002, 07:55 AM
Try looking in device manager, and see if the CD is listed, or has an exclamation mark beside it.

It could be disabled for some reason.

21-01-2002, 08:05 PM
Hey guys thanks very much for all your help...esp KO
am in the throes of pulling the lid off....i'll let you know how i get on...
keep up the good work

24-01-2002, 08:59 PM
Must have gotten electrocuted.

Bugger.