PDA

View Full Version : Removing programme files

19-01-2002, 02:10 PM
I recently downloaded a trial version of Photoshop Elements (great product) and at the end of the 30 days went in to remove it. I went into control panel, Add or Remove Programmes, clicked on Adobe Photoshop Elements and clicked on Change/Remove. As it was removing it, I suddenly wonderered if I could still open the photos I had saved using the programme if I deleted it from my hard drive, so I tried to cancel the removal. However, it still removed the programme but came up with a dialogue box that said something along the lines of 'not all files could be deleted, you will need to delete these individually'. Duh! So how do I do this and where do I find the files? (And I can still open the saved files, so I should have left well alone!)

19-01-2002, 02:24 PM
That box that came up saying not all the files could be removed would have had a details box that you click to find out. But I guess that box is no longer up.

If you install the trial & uninstall it again the same box should come up this time click the details and it'll tell you which files couldn't be deleted.

Hopefully this helps

19-01-2002, 03:21 PM
Normally it will be the folder that held the files. Do a 'find' search or open Windows explorer and have a peeky-boo.
Bye

19-01-2002, 05:19 PM
Faye

I would suggest you install the demo again (perhaps copy the pics you want to save to somewhere else first).
Then try the uninstall again.

robo.

19-01-2002, 06:47 PM
The files which cannot be deleted are usually files in use, settings files. Or other files that were in the same folder that aren't part of the program (ie saved pictures/games).

The files will USUALLY be in C:\program files\ in the folder relating to your program.

JM

20-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Hi Faye,

Someone told me once, that the files that get left behind, are the files that identify you have downloaded a trial version, and cannot now get another free bite of the cherry.

Could be wrong!

Regards, ALAN :-)

20-01-2002, 10:15 PM
Thats partly true Alan but an uninstall program will usually leave behind any settings files that have been altered since installation as well as any files created by the user.

21-01-2002, 06:08 PM
Thanks Alan, that's what I thought too, which is why I haven't tried to download the trial again - I can just imagine Mr Adobe saying 'hang on a minute you greedy cow, you've already had a free look!' Plus, it took around five hours to download the first time so I'm not that keen for a repeat! The files probably won't cause me any problems, I just wanted to be tidy...!