PDA

View Full Version : PC gets stuck at black screen and spinning dots after win10 updates

bellbird
18-05-2019, 10:09 AM
This started a while ago if I chose Update and Restart so I've been doing Update and Shutdown. Earlier this week (the same day MS installed KB4494441 again) the computer wouldn't get past the spinning dots using this method nor would it shutdown by pressing the power button. I found a suggestion to remove any Logitech keyboard/mouse USBs as there can be an issue with them. I did this and the computer then booted ok. Any suggestions for this issue other than remembering to remove the USBs before restarting after an update and is it ok to just remove them if I forget. Thanks

piroska
19-05-2019, 07:43 AM
I have no idea what that update does, nor care but I'd guess that it also overwrote the Logitech drivers, nothing unusual in MS updates doing that.

reinstall them from Logitechs website.

wainuitech
19-05-2019, 09:08 AM
You don't need drivers from Logitech. The Logitech hardware uses the default windows drivers, the only time you use any software from Logitech is if you want to remap or Customize / change what certain keys do. All of my keyboards here (all logitech) both USB or Wireless all work perfectly. Only one has the Customize options.

Had this happen many times on two workshop PC's, the problem was not the keyboard but another external USB Drive, if its connected because I forgot to unplug it the exact same thing happens. Disconnect all usb devices if you have any plugged in leave the KB alone see if it boots.

Sometimes these sorts of problems are related to other items connected. If it is the Keyboard then try a different USB port.

have a read of some solutions https://howtofixwindows.com/keyboard-mouse-not-working-windows-10/

Please post the link to the site that suggests removing the Logitech Keyboard specifically .

wainuitech
19-05-2019, 09:46 AM
Just re-reading the original post. The last KB may have been the straw that broke whatever was the problem.

By own admission
This started a while ago if I chose Update and Restart so I've been doing Update and Shutdown. The system has had corruption previously, and not fixing it to start with has only escalated to a bigger problem.

Better to try and sort the original actual problem instead of building on top of other faults each time.

piroska
19-05-2019, 01:28 PM
You don't need drivers from Logitech. The Logitech hardware uses the default windows drivers .

I'd say Windows used the default Logitech ones. But seeing as Windows killed it, yes he does

bellbird
19-05-2019, 04:45 PM
Just re-reading the original post. The last KB may have been the straw that broke whatever was the problem.

By own admission The system has had corruption previously, and not fixing it to start with has only escalated to a bigger problem.

Better to try and sort the original actual problem instead of building on top of other faults each time.

Thanks for info and link wainuitech. I have 2 USBs, one for mouse and one for keyboard. Have belatedly remembered that I replaced the mouse of my Logitech MK520 combo around the time the problem started. I had issues trying to get the new M310t mouse to connect with the SetPoint software and installed the Options software for mouse swap (which it doesn't retain anyway). I really wanted to keep using SetPoint for mouse swap and games options settings for games to retain the mouse swap assignment. I probably got myself very confused along the way. Anyway I'll check out your link, uninstall the Logitech software and go from there.

bellbird
19-05-2019, 05:08 PM
that worked! Logitech software uninstalled, mouse and Keyboard connected with one USB and computer is restarting just fine now. ( I found another Logitech USB in the back of the computer, no idea what that was for). I did the mouse button swap in Control Panel. thanks again Wainuitech

wainuitech
19-05-2019, 05:18 PM
I'd say Windows used the default Logitech ones. But seeing as Windows killed it, yes he does Microsoft don't supply custom drivers for hardware, they actually get them from the manufactures of the said hardware, so any updated drivers for a logitech keyboard / mouse would come directly from Logitech. MS dont install software like setpoint.

Looking on the Logitech site, the latest update for their software is 25-APR-2019, the KB in question came out on May 14, 2019 so any update from logitech that was installed before the 14th wouldn't have changes. https://support.logitech.com/en_us/product/wireless-mouse-m310/downloads

A Bellbird posted "Have belatedly remembered that I replaced the mouse of my Logitech MK520 combo around the time the problem started."

So the problem going by that actually stated before the KB was installed, the KB just escalated the problem. Fix the cause and the problem, not a half arsed fix. :)

As you will know yourself ( OR SHOULD) often its not till you ask certain questions you get the full story as to when problems occur.

IF MS put out an update that causes some problems Eg The KB /mouse, it wont be Logitech for example that will put out a fix its usually MS. As per the KB released on 5 March 2018

Ofthesea
19-05-2019, 09:11 PM
I had a different issue, I lost audio on my desktop after the most recent updates which was actually a number of updates. After trying various things I removed the recent updates using the "uninstall updates" option.
I then applied all the updates again one at a time checking my audio between each update.
For some reason audio still works after all the updates are applied, it works so I'm happy.
Maybe you could try the same thing, uninstall and try again?