PDA

View Full Version : HP Printer 7610 driver

bk T
16-05-2019, 11:01 PM
Somehow, I have problem with the scanning function of this printer from my main PC running Win10 Pro. It used to work perfectly OK. 2 other PCs one Win7 and the other Win10 Pro all work fine.

So, I uninstalled the driver and HP software, and reinstalled the driver, freshly downloaded from HP site. But, it failed to complete the installation process, sitting there "installing network printer' .... couldn't even cancel the process. I had to shut down the PC to terminate. Tried a couple of times from this afternoon.

Any suggestions, please. I know that the printer should be OK as other 2 PCs are quite happy with it. Problem must be with my PC.

wainuitech
17-05-2019, 09:07 AM
Assume you are connecting to it Via a network ( over LAN) and not Via USB ??

How long did you give it to install when the message "installing network printer" Appeared.??

Sometimes they can take what seems like forever. Did one yesterday on a W7 laptop, via USB took about 20 minutes at the "installing " Stage :sleep

Make sure that network Discovery is turned on as well, option 2 from the following is the way I do it. https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/49652-turn-off-network-discovery-windows-10-a.html

One other way -- Don't use the software, but You can go into the Control Panel - Devices and Printers - Install Printer - Point it to look on the network (assuming its a LAN connected) sometimes that picks up better.

Once its connected MS actually have a reasonably good scan App -- Go to the Store, search for Scan, you'll find Windows Scan (Blue icon with a white scanner) works quite well in most cases. :)

bk T
17-05-2019, 12:13 PM
It's connecting via Wireless network. It detected the the Printer OK in the device detecting phase; but just couldn't complete the installation. I waited for more than half an hour but it still installing ..... I had to restart my PC to terminate the installing.

Just to try it out, I uninstalled the printer on my other Win10 Pro (an i5) and reinstall to make sure that the driver is correct and any others ... It went through very smoothly, took just under 5 minutes to complete everything!

It's most likely my PC problem, but what could it be?

Yes, MS has HP Smart app, pretty good but only thing is, from the Printer's interface, I cannot choose the format (PDF, JPeg, etc) to scan a document. There's no option to do so, the default is JPeg. I can, however, do it from HP Smart App.

wainuitech
17-05-2019, 12:53 PM
Two things, ones a real "gotya" moment. When its installing and appears to hang check theres no icon flashing on the taskbar, sometimes (printers esp) software pops UNDER a message that requires attention, agree, yes etc, BUT the window is hidden under another open window, bringing it to the top, clicking what it wants and away it goes.

If thats not happening, you can make sure the print spooler is actually running, press the windows key + R type in services.msc in the box and press enter. Scroll down to Print Spooler, make sure the services are Started and set to Automatic.

If all OK then try the suggestion from HP, the old drivers may be causing a problem.

Read the post from HP Forum 4th down Jeet_Singh https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Inkjet-Printing/stuck-on-installing-network-device/td-p/6819466 Different model of printer but everything else will be all the same.

Bryan
17-05-2019, 01:25 PM
You say "I uninstalled the driver and HP software, and reinstalled the driver, freshly downloaded from HP site". Have you reinstalled the HP Software before you load the new drivers?
'

bk T
17-05-2019, 03:44 PM
That's all-in-one driver file.

bk T
17-05-2019, 11:23 PM
Tried all the above suggestions, nothing works.

How do I remove all printer related driver and clean it up completely?

I have run Ccleaner after uninstalling those HP software and drivers from Programs and Features.

gary67
18-05-2019, 09:15 AM
Uninstall with Revo as it works better than Ccleaner

bk T
18-05-2019, 10:04 AM
Revo Uninstaller - the Freeware version good enough for just a one off use?

Or, and, the Revo Uninstaller Pro's 'Free Trial' can be used for just one off?

gary67
18-05-2019, 11:31 AM
The free one is all you need

bk T
18-05-2019, 11:37 AM
Thanks, gary67.

Tried a few more times - uninstalling and reinstalling the Printer -- still no joy. :badpc::badpc: :mad::mad:

Give up.

wainuitech
18-05-2019, 02:44 PM
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Thanks, gary67.

Tried a few more times - uninstalling and reinstalling the Printer -- still no joy. :badpc::badpc: :mad::mad:

Give up. Often drivers are the cause, sometimes even Revo doesn't get them all. Simply uninstalling will leave LOTS of the drivers behind, when trying to reinstall, if these old drivers or parts of them are still there they will again cause problems.

Did you uninstall then ---- Did you run the commands in the link I posted in # 4 ???

Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Under print server properties, go to drivers - remove any entry there as well.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer.

bk T
18-05-2019, 05:02 PM
"
Press the "windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type "printui.exe /s" (There is a space between .exe & /) and press enter.

Again, go to the Run window, type – “c:/programdata” – Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

Restart your computer."

Do I remove all entries or just the HP Officejet 7610 series ? And, when I click Remove, a window pops up, asking whether Remove driver only or Remove driver and driver package. which should I select?

wainuitech
18-05-2019, 05:19 PM
"

Restart your computer."

Do I remove all entries or just the HP Officejet 7610 series ? And, when I click Remove, a window pops up, asking whether Remove driver only or Remove driver and driver package. which should I select?
If I was doing it I'd remove the Officejet 7610 entries, including the folders /Package.

NOW the exception is if you have any other HP Printers installed (keep in mind cant see what you have got). If nothing else installed,rip the HP entries out.

Sometimes all it takes is one damaged file from a previous Install to cause a problem. Been MANY a time at customers house you really feel like :badpc: :D When printers have corrupted drivers and the damn things just dont want to play nice.

The fact the printer goes fine on other computers means the problem is some sort of corruption on the offending PC.

You want to get it back to as close as you can to the point it was never installed EXAMPLE ONLY- As if it were a fresh install of the Operating system and the printer has never been installed.

One further thing I would do, after removing the above, make a restore point, load up Ccleaner - Registry, scan for issues -- select anything relating to the HP Printer- Delete them

bk T
18-05-2019, 05:40 PM
When I clicked 'Remove driver and driver package', the following window pops up:

"The following package(s) cannot be deleted:

hpvpl10.inf (x64)
This package contains the following driver(s) that are in use:
HP Officejet 7610 series; This driver is used on:
HP Officejet 7610 series (Network)

The following driver(s) cannot be deleted:

Driver HP Officejet 7610 series (x64) is in use. It is used on:
HP Officejet 7610 series (Network)"

What should I do? Turn OFF the printer from the wall outlet?

bk T
18-05-2019, 05:43 PM
Turned the Printer OFF from the wall outlet, run the command again but, still , the same error message pops up.

Restarted PC, run it again, pops up the exact error message that the printer is in used. ????

wainuitech
18-05-2019, 07:13 PM
Turned the Printer OFF from the wall outlet, run the command again but, still , the same error message pops up.

Restarted PC, run it again, pops up the exact error message that the printer is in used. ???? You may need to disconnect the computer from your LAN to remove, sometimes they can be a bit of a challenge to remove (corruption can do this)

Have a read through the following site https://www.windowscentral.com/how-properly-remove-printer-windows-10 Theres 5 different ways to remove, sometimes you need to use commands Via Command Prompt or Powershell to remove.

Theres also this site https://windowsreport.com/cant-remove-printer-windows-10/#1 You may need to stop certain serices etc. Normally if something is corrupted it can be a PITA to remove fully = Lots of Grrrrrrrr work.

I been trying to locate a exe I had a few years back, its designed to really rip out HP printer software, but HP seem to have removed it, guess they figure their software doesn't break

:tui:

I often get asked " How do you stay claim and not get frustrated when things do'nt go as they should" Usual response (really have to be there to catch the tone of my voice) Its only electronics and code, not like its going to bite -- AND I have a good punching Bag in the workshop that I beat the crap out of afterwards ;) That often gets a :xmouth: look :lol: (PS I dont have a Punching bag-- or do I ? )

bk T
19-05-2019, 10:22 PM
Well, that's it. Will have to learn to live with it -- use the Windows HP Smart App instead.

Since HP doesn't like my PC. It's not the end of the day, anyway.

Thanks, wainuitech for going all the way trying to help, but I am (an old man) not competent enough. .... :)

kahawai chaser
20-05-2019, 10:23 AM
Try repair with the HP Print and Scan Doctor... (https://support.hp.com/ca-en/topic/printscandoctor)Maybe Device Manager should be checked to remove the printer/drivers and HP folders (which you did) after uninstalling (From my research). Also checking/altering windows "call" services (described in the link below).

Maybe also clean out the temp folder. One user fixed his HP printer by using MS drivers rather than HP's,. Could try creating a new user account on the PC and install the printer drivers (Non HP). Quote: " If the issue still persists try installing windows built-in drivers" The last actions fixed installation - You can read the full solution thread here.. (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-Printing/The-printer-was-unable-to-install-over-network/td-p/6653013)