PDA

View Full Version : Extending the P/E life of an SSD

kioti
16-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Hi again. I was curious to find out about SSD's and extending their Life cycle. Googled and found some good info, with my only having started using SSD's in the computer I built a few month ago and having been Mechanical HDD user for years prior to my switch to SSD's. I read the info from this link and found it very interesting. https://www.lifehacker.com.au/2011/05/how-to-maximise-the-life-of-your-ssd/
I will have to stop the Scheduled runs of the O&O Defrag 20 Pro that I have used for years on Mechanical HDD's because Defragging SSD's is not a good idea because it is using up the Write/Erase life-time. In fact I could uninstall it and use the Win10 Defrag on the External HDD's I have and I have decided to connect a Mechanical HDD into my computer and use it to store documents, artwork and various other files that get altered at times. I will also use the HDD I intend installing to be used to store any Downloads I may get. Not much point D'loading to the SSD only to be sending it to an external HDD for storage purposes.
Anyway, it is all very interesting and I have to develop a new approach as to how I do things with the new Hardware I am using.
There is one thing I would like to ask, concerning TRIM. I checked it out and found it is enabled but I noticed that when I did the Command Prompt to check if TRIM is enabled, I get it showing a Zero meaning it is Enabled, but, in parentheses it shows as being Disabled. I attach a pic of the Links showing of the Command Prompt returned info and the returned info in Command Prompt I my computer.
There was a mention that if there is a 1 showing instead of the Zero then TRIM may not be enabled and/or the SSD Drivers may need updating. I checked in Device Manager and attempted to Update Driver for the SSD and was informed that the Best drivers for my device are installed. Well, the SSD I have is a 240GB Corsair Force MP300 M.2 NVMe and the Driver shown in Device Manager is provided by Microsoft but the date for it is 21/06/2006, Version 10.0.17763.1. That seems to be a bit old for an SSD of a year or 2 on the market. I will perhaps download the MP300 NVMe driver from Corsair, when it actually shows in the links that I have been clicking that state Corsair MP300 NVMe driver...oh dear :)

So what would you think is behind the Showing the SSD is TRIM enabled yet in parentheses it shows Disabled?

Thanks

kioti
16-05-2019, 09:19 AM
Sorry, I forgot to add signature so I do it now
Asus Prime B450M-A./ AMD Ryzen5 2400G./ GSkill FlareX DDR4 16GB 2933 (@2400MHz.)/ Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GD5./ Corsair Force MP300 M.2 SSD./ Samsung Evo 860 500GB SSD./ Corsair HX750 PSU./ W10 x64 Pro v1809

wainuitech
16-05-2019, 09:56 AM
The trim is enabled.

The command can be a little confusing unless you are aware of it. (its almost in opposite to what you first think/ read)

DisableDeleteNotify in bold --- is the gotya, 0= Enabled where as 1 = Disabled So its basically saying ( in plain English) that if its 0 it will notify.

Scroll down to DisableDeleteNotify windows-commands/fsutil-behavior (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/fsutil-behavior)

Also a bit more light reading how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/ (https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/)

kioti
16-05-2019, 12:46 PM
The trim is enabled.

The command can be a little confusing unless you are aware of it. (its almost in opposite to what you first think/ read)

DisableDeleteNotify in bold --- is the gotya, 0= Enabled where as 1 = Disabled So its basically saying ( in plain English) that if its 0 it will notify.

Scroll down to DisableDeleteNotify windows-commands/fsutil-behavior (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/fsutil-behavior)

Also a bit more light reading how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/ (https://www.howtogeek.com/257196/how-to-check-if-trim-is-enabled-for-your-ssd-and-enable-it-if-it-isnt/)

wainuitech
Cheers. Yeah I read where it said that TRIM is auto enabled in W10 when an SSD is used as C Drive or as a Storage drive.
I will do some more reading and getting clued in.
Thanks

dugimodo
16-05-2019, 02:15 PM
Not much to worry about honestly, not much need to change habits. Sure don't defrag it and make sure Trim is on but that's enough.

For the kind of use that most people submit their PCs to, even heavy users, the SSD will last 10-20 years easily. Probably more.
The fact that there are less write cycles than mechanical drives makes people a bit paranoid but it's really not an issue.

I bought one of the early 120gb intel drives when they first started becoming affordable, used it as a boot drive for a couple of years then sold it to a friend at least 4 years ago who's still using it as his main C: drive. The diagnostic tools say it's life is still at 99% health and it has to be at least 6 years old and has been in constant use. He uses his PC every day and games all night on it.

apsattv
17-05-2019, 01:21 AM
Have you got the corsair ssd software installed???
This might be old ???
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/blog/the-corsair-ssd-toolbox

kioti
30-05-2019, 12:38 AM
Not much to worry about honestly, not much need to change habits. Sure don't defrag it and make sure Trim is on but that's enough.

For the kind of use that most people submit their PCs to, even heavy users, the SSD will last 10-20 years easily. Probably more.
The fact that there are less write cycles than mechanical drives makes people a bit paranoid but it's really not an issue.

I bought one of the early 120gb intel drives when they first started becoming affordable, used it as a boot drive for a couple of years then sold it to a friend at least 4 years ago who's still using it as his main C: drive. The diagnostic tools say it's life is still at 99% health and it has to be at least 6 years old and has been in constant use. He uses his PC every day and games all night on it.

dugimodo, cheers for the info. Yep I be guessing my SSD be good for 10+ years, I have started installing Games and some programs to the 500GB Samsung Evo 860 SSD and downloads I am having sent/saved to the Evo 860. Am thinking I get a 1TB Seagate Hybrid FireCuda HDD to handle the Downloads/Games/Docs/Pics etc etc
Cheers

kioti
30-05-2019, 03:30 AM
Have you got the corsair ssd software installed???
This might be old ???
https://www.corsair.com/ww/en/blog/the-corsair-ssd-toolbox

apsattv, hi and thanks for the link. Yep the Corsair SSD is up and running well. I got it sorted out a day after I installed it. I looked into the link you sent and it seems the Corsair ssd Toolbox doesn't run on W10..... however, I will DL it and have a click of the 'Help' file to see what it has to offer. cheers.

piroska
30-05-2019, 09:27 AM
I'd just have A)An image and B)Backups, on more than one device.
All drives can and do fail, rather than fussing about the drive, have the above.

kioti
31-05-2019, 07:40 AM
I'd just have A)An image and B)Backups, on more than one device.
All drives can and do fail, rather than fussing about the drive, have the above.

piroska yep I do that. but hell I be having to buy 2x4TB HDD's, one for the saved data and another to use strictly as a backup drive for the other most used one. Well I could but I would need a 50% wage increase :D

31-05-2019, 11:00 AM
piroska yep I do that. but hell I be having to buy 2x4TB HDD's, one for the saved data and another to use strictly as a backup drive for the other most used one. Well I could but I would need a 50% wage increase :D

You better buy 1 more for offsite backup :-)

dugimodo
31-05-2019, 11:29 AM
I just back up the stuff that really matters to me, it's not the end of the world for me if I have to reinstall windows and my programs.
So for my photo's I have them backed up at home and on the cloud, and my music collection is on 3 different drives in various places.

Everything else can be lost and it's just inconvenient.

31-05-2019, 12:08 PM
Often , a hard drive fail is the best way to force a declutter
Thats why I hardly ever backup my home PC & Media PC . Losing years of 'stuff' wouldnt be such a bad thing :-)

Who really needs 1000's of photos saved forever , emails going back 15 years, backups of obelete programs, MP3's & vids that will never be played again anyway
When we're dead, the whole lot will be wiped & gone anyway.