PDA

View Full Version : OS's

19-01-2002, 12:13 AM
Windows Me and Windows 2000 seemed to have been eclipsed by XP. Are they worth considering as upgrade options? I'm moving from a P133 running W95 SE. New machine Athlon 1200, I want a reliable OS with minimal hardware/software conflicts...
thanks for any ideas

19-01-2002, 01:50 AM
Since when did XP eclipse 2000? I am running them both and until XP irons out all the bugs I prefer 2k.

But your choice of OS is the concerns of what is your main purpose of your machine will be for.

2k/XP and gaming sometimes don't mix that well but newer games might.

19-01-2002, 06:21 AM
WinME is good though as with any OS, there are some people that it does not seem to work well for. Secret with ME is to install onto a clean hard drive rather than a upgrade.
XP is also good though some hardware and some of your software might not be fully compatible

19-01-2002, 07:05 AM
Get XP.In spite of what others may say 2000 is now on the way out.XP is very different to 98 and it takes a day or two to get it set up to your liking. If you just have a home computer get the home version of XP.It is the same as 'professional' except for advanced net work options and added safety.
A tip or two:Make sure you hava a MINIMUM of 128MB of ram. 256 mb's are better.When you install it format your hard drive first. Use fat32. NTFS is much slower. If you install over 98, XP will pick up a lot of your old settings, not always fully compatable.
During install you will be asked if you want to activate XP. Just click on yes. That's all there is to it. I have replaced my hard drive since installing XP and had no problem at all.
Cheers,
Jack

19-01-2002, 08:10 AM
Hi Jack,

You say NTFS is slower over FAT32. Why is this so? When I installed XP I was asked whether I wanted to format NTFS or FAT32 and was told (by the installation) that if I chose FAT32 I would lose some of the advantages NTFS offers. The only advantage I know of is the way NTFS uses your disk to better organize data i.e cluster organization. Are there any other advantages to be gained over FAT32 and why is FAT32 faster and by how much.

Thanks in advance.
BC

19-01-2002, 05:41 PM
According to microsoft's independent testing done on xp, it outperforms Windows Me and 2000 on all levels. So I would say go with that. It is also compatible with all common hardware, and even some that is not so common. As they claim, it is a true mixing of 9x with NT code, with all it's multimedia fetures like WMP8 and builtin cd-r software and picture viewer(like Windows Me) and has the stability of 2k with it's Seperate Memory Space feature (which is especially nice).