PDA

View Full Version : how do I update address book from Gmail to thunderbird

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 03:07 PM
I just reinstalled windows 10 on my lappy.
Wanted to know how to import email address, in Gmail, to Thunderbird.
I googled and it says to log into Gmail and press address from top left, but its not there.
Thanks,
Ian

Lurking
02-05-2019, 04:12 PM
Try the square box of dots beside your initial r/h side.

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 04:17 PM
Try the square box of dots beside your initial r/h side.

They just Google app's, no address books.

02-05-2019, 04:27 PM
They just Google app's, no address books.

Google call it Contacts . Its there
contacts.google.com (might work)

Gmail to Tbird : round peg into square hole sort of thing . You may need to tweek things when importing .

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Google call it Contacts . Its there
contacts.google.com (might work)

Gmail to Tbird : round peg into square hole sort of thing . You may need to tweek things when importing .

Yes they all there, even my cellphone.
But unsure how to save it in a format that Thunderbird with recognise.

wainuitech
02-05-2019, 06:00 PM
For some stupid Reason Thunderbird wont import like other email clients do automatically.

You have to go into gmail online and export as either a CSV or Business card file(s) then import that into Thunderbird.

Often though, Thunderbird wont import correctly either, been many a time the import is all screwed up and you have to go into each contact and move the actual email address to the correct location, then it works.

As 1101 posted go to https://contacts.google.com/ On the left, click on More -

Export, you will have 3 options, may be a bit hit and miss as to what works.

Then open Thunderbird and Import

Good luck on getting them fully correct 1st time without editing ;)

OR use another email program like https://www.emclient.com Which will bring them all through on the fly and work perfectly. :) Get the free licence from the Pricing drop down (up top of page).

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 06:09 PM
Thank you.I'm not happy with this latest Thunderbird so well check you link.

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 06:38 PM
For some stupid Reason Thunderbird wont import like other email clients do automatically.

You have to go into gmail online and export as either a CSV or Business card file(s) then import that into Thunderbird.

Often though, Thunderbird wont import correctly either, been many a time the import is all screwed up and you have to go into each contact and move the actual email address to the correct location, then it works.

As 1101 posted go to https://contacts.google.com/ On the left, click on More -

Export, you will have 3 options, may be a bit hit and miss as to what works.

Then open Thunderbird and Import

Good luck on getting them fully correct 1st time without editing ;)

OR use another email program like https://www.emclient.com Which will bring them all through on the fly and work perfectly. :) Get the free licence from the Pricing drop down (up top of page).

Great.
Thats the 1 I put on wifes computer day.
All done & both working well.
Thank you, oh so much.
Ian.

wainuitech
02-05-2019, 08:04 PM
Great.
Thats the 1 I put on wifes computer day.
All done & both working well.
Thank you, oh so much.
Ian. Good you got something that works for you :)

Personally I never really liked thunderbird ( seen lots of customers have problems over the years) But over the last few years it appears to going backwards. Things that used to work well now dont, and some tasks are way more complicated than they should be.

Using Gmail for example, other programs can pull in contacts from gmail and work correctly, so why cant TB (or at least should have the option when installing).

The only problem I've found with emclient is you cant have the actual emclient program with the same account on more than 1 device, bit of a problem if you have more than one computer and require mails on both. (unless they have changed it)

ianhnz
02-05-2019, 08:36 PM
All good, now.
Thanks to all your help,
Ian

03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
Good you got something that works for you :)

Personally I never really liked thunderbird ( seen lots of customers have problems over the years)

Theres the font size bug that still isnt fixed after many years : font can change size for no reason . I find that really annoying . Ive never liked Tbirds adress book/contacts either .
Problem with these email clients , once you're using it, you're pretty much stuck with it, as usually no easy way to export old email into another program.

I'd like to change , but then I'll also have to keep both Eudora & Tbird just to be able to access old emails