PDA

View Full Version : Limited CPU + GPU usage within mins of booting, major lag

Vicx
17-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Within 2-3 mins of booting everything starts to lag (browser, email, programs), all apps that usually open instantly are taking 5+ seconds to load. CPU usage is all over the place, much higher than usual yet the temperature is completely stable somehow. The CPU usage in task manager isn't matching in Afterburner but I'm guessing the task manager is correct and Afterburning is lagging causing the CPU usage to look higher than it really is. Same issue with the GPU, also starts limiting in 2-3 mins, usage is around 2-10% even when I'm using a 3D mapping program and the temp is 10-15c lower than it usually is when running, also unusually stable, only getting 10-20 fps when I usually get 60-120. Even youtube videos keep skipping every few seconds.

CPU temp is only 30c, GPU only 35c.

I thought maybe it was a PSU issue but everything runs fine in the first 2-3 mins, if it were the PSU it'd probably be lagging straight away, so it's as if something is launching shortly after boot to cause this,

Just started happening last night, hadn't run anything suspicious. Ran a scan in Malwarebytes, nothing. Never had anything like this before.

i7 4790k
1080ti

wainuitech
17-04-2019, 11:48 AM
Have a look in the task manager / Startup see whats there that shouldn't be, as well as the Processes tab, see if anything is showing excessive usage. Looking at the picture provided the Ethernet graph looks to be doing a lot of activity.

Look also to see is there are any updates coming through.

Its a process of elimination sometimes to see whats its Not causing a problem.

dugimodo
17-04-2019, 11:53 AM
Have you been playing with the overclocking features of afterburner at all? Just guessing here but it almost seems like you have underclocked the CPU/GPU.
If you do a stress test do they clock up to full speed?

Otherwise I have nothing, never encountered those symptoms before.

Vicx
17-04-2019, 12:31 PM
Checked startup and found a 'program' in startup, very vague, no properties, disabled it but still getting lag after 2-3 mins.

Ethernet is seeding, that's always on but never causes a problem.

I only use Afterburner to manage the fan speeds, nothing else.

wainuitech
17-04-2019, 01:14 PM
Have a look into this,from the search , type in system, open System configuration -- Go to Services Tab - Bottom left, put a tick in Hide All Microsoft Services, What you will have left is all the other services that are running in the background, some will be running some stopped, look through the Running, see if theres anything you dont know.

Disabale everything that doesn't HAVE to run, reboot, see if the lagging occurs, if its OK then go back in and enable 1 at at time till the problem raises its head again.

What you can also do is download Autoruns https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/autoruns Its very detailed and will show everything thats running, and if its software it will show, you just have to find out what it is.

Vicx
17-04-2019, 09:52 PM
I tried disabling all services, no difference. I had a look at autoruns but there's so much there I have no idea what it could be.

You can see the CPU and GPU take a nosedive, this happens after 2-3 mins of booting, it's like something is loading during startup and it stays like this.

Vicx
18-04-2019, 01:14 AM
Fixed it with this random tip:

"Method 4. Disable the 'intelppm" service from Registry."
https://www.wintips.org/fix-cpu-not-running-at-full-speed-in-windows-10/

everything's back to normal after reboot, but I have no idea what caused it..