PDA

View Full Version : iMac Mid-2011 random static noise from speakers

mark1978
16-03-2019, 10:14 AM
So this happened this morning, without warning or anything. It comes on if I click on iTunes and attempt to play a song, the static sound remains throughout the entire song, then when the song is over...the static noise continues for about 20sec and then stops. I have done the NVRAM reset to no avail. Anyone else having these issues or know how to fix it?

wainuitech
16-03-2019, 10:21 AM
Could be some sort of interference, like an external source, bit like if you have a cell close to speakers you get a few beeps seconds before it rings.

Have a read of the following, several options to try. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/static-coming-from-macbook-pro-speakers-every-so-often.1027759/

Does it do it when playing audio from any other source ( meaning Not using iTunes)

mark1978
16-03-2019, 10:26 AM
I was hoping you would reply... it happens every time a sound file plays (like mail) or iTunes, a website that has a sound file or video... then it turns on...once its over it continues for about 20 seconds lol...its so damn weird! Sulpher?? I have a bluetooth speaker which doesn't do it! LOL...I saw the article, yet to try that! But I have my doubts, been googling all morning! LOL

mark1978
16-03-2019, 10:59 AM
Just an update: Definitely something funny going on. I turned the iMac off, unplugged the power cable to no avail. It seems this static noise is picked up every time it is playing a sound file whether this is a notification or song through iTunes. Then after 20 sec it turns of however it remains on throughout... am not sure what to do now, the sound is static however I also heard some whistling noise.... very very odd

zqwerty
16-03-2019, 11:31 AM
Can you play a music CD or an mp3 off a Flash drive to see whether or not the static occurs to start to eliminate causes and possible faulty speakers/amplifiers etc.

Is the static in both speakers or just one? Put on headphones and see if they also exhibit the problem.

wainuitech
16-03-2019, 11:52 AM
Adding to Zqwerty's post, also try muting the MIC if it has one, could be feedback.

Its really a process of elimination as to what its not.

mark1978
16-03-2019, 02:39 PM
So when I plug in my headphones and open iTunes, the headphones don't work and continue to play music through the speakers, the static sound appears as soon as the song started and finishes around 20 seconds after the song ends. Then if I open system preferences and sound and click on any random sound effect the static noise occurs, then again 20sec after it finishes. When I play the sound via bluetooth to the bluetooth speaker there is no static sound. It is really bizar, tried to mute both mic and the sound, of course when I mute the sound completely the static noise does not occur. It does occur when I ted the microphone......freakin bizar, however I havent heard the static whistling noise anymore...just static now....

wainuitech
16-03-2019, 05:07 PM
So when I plug in my headphones and open iTunes, the headphones don't work and continue to play music through the speakers,

When headphones are plugged in they "should" disable the External speakers. Is there are option to select the default output device ( like windows has --I'm asking because I dont know MAC's audio Options) ???

Example:

If there is plug in the headphones and see if you can change the device.

When I play the sound via bluetooth to the bluetooth speaker there is no static sound.

Bluetooth is redirecting the output to another source. (good hint)

So - Working on those two facts to me that sounds ( no pun intended) like the connection / association between the External speakers / Headphone Jack is broken, thus causing the static as well, this may be caused by some wiring connection, a plug come lose or broken Wires if the jack and motherboard are connected that way.

If it were me, I'd be pulling the PC apart to get to the section where the headphones are and look to see how they are connected, check any wires /Plugs to make sure they are all OK.

As I mentioned earlier "Its really a process of elimination as to what its not. "

mark1978
16-03-2019, 05:33 PM
The headphone jack is not working thats a fact, I have plugged in two different headphones in to no avail. Is it possible to upload a video here for you guys to watch and hear?? I did think about taking it apart but, the logic board is deeply hidden inside the iMac and if I have to get to that part of the back of the ports I have to take everything apart. (maybe thats a good thing lol, for a good clean)

wainuitech
16-03-2019, 06:11 PM
You can post a link to an uploaded Video here , but not the actual Video. BUT static noise is generally caused by some sort of interference, what that interference is could be many things, mind you a external cause like feedback is different to a lose wire.

IF you want to upload a video, one place I use that's free ( no account required) is https://streamable.com/ It will give you a link once uploaded.

mark1978
16-03-2019, 06:24 PM
Have a look - Then its not static then...because it only comes on when you play an audio file or a notification comes on, really curious what you guys think!

https://streamable.com/ya7ay

wainuitech
18-03-2019, 12:11 PM
Had to wait till today to play that, the headphones wouldn't go loud enough, so onto the Workshop PC crank up the speakers :)

Defiantly static alright. Doing a bit of looking around it appears to be a regular problem with some MAC's and iTunes. Some say its the equaliser or QuickTime causing the problem.

Whether the no functioning headphones have anything to do with it I don't know, BUT try this -- Install some other media player, theres plenty, ( just a couple) VLC, Clementine.

Once installed try playing something see if you still get the static - if not - its something to do with iTunes.

18-03-2019, 01:00 PM
Play something from youtube , in your browser , and see if it has that noise .

mark1978
19-03-2019, 07:00 AM
Morning guys, I sincerely appreciate your help! So I first did the SMC reset and while restart no static noise appeared when you hear the chimes when the Mac first starts up. I installed VLC and played a random song and although the static sounds now sounds more faint it still remains there. I then opened iTunes, same static sound, same level of static noise.. It also appears in browsing, when there is a commercial thats playing or a sound file. It starts as the same time the notification or commercial does, then turns off 20 sec after...am starting to think it is the power board and socket? I should try that tonight when I get home to relocate the Mac and see if it still continues in another socket, power board or room?? Do we get these outlet checkers in New Zealand?

19-03-2019, 08:52 AM
...am starting to think it is the power board and socket? I should try that tonight when I get home to relocate the Mac and see if it still continues in another socket, power board or room?? Do we get these outlet checkers in New Zealand?

Try another power outlet in another room. You did say it does this on battery though ?
Its unlikely to be that, both the MAC's power supply & the motherboard will have plenty of filtering

Since it doesnt have this issue through Bluetooth , it could be an issue with the audio circuit (the built in amp that powers the speakers).
A complete wipe/reset of the OS might be the next step , just to confirm its not a software/driver issue .
Or just use BT speakers .

mark1978
19-03-2019, 06:10 PM
Hi 1101, its an old Mid 2011 iMac desktop, so no battery. I have put the iMac in the kitchen and plugged it in there, no static noise through the apple chime but as soon as I open iTunes, a website or a notification comes on so does the static noise, however it seems more faded. the intensity of the noise seems to vary. I believe it might be an issue on the logic board. I attempted to log out and log into a guest account to see if its a software issue however it does the same thing. frustrating! If I knew where on the logic board the problem is located I would take it apart and inspect it.

mark1978
21-03-2019, 08:35 PM
I took the iMac apart tonight, cleaned it out, put back together, to no avail. Thanks for everyone's support. :)