PDA

View Full Version : Word 97 Spellcheck

18-01-2002, 04:07 PM
Can anyone please tell me how to restore rhe 'Add' button to become operable when a document is being spellchecked? I used to be able to add frequently used proper nouns, foreign words etc that I used fairly frequently into the custom ictionary but lately when I wish to do this the 'Add' button in the Spelling & Grammar dialogue box remains greyed out all the time. The only dictionary used in the dictionary dialogue box is the custom dictionary dictionary and it is checked. I also had need to uninstall and reinstall Office 97 a while ago. Could I have done something to disable this useful function?

18-01-2002, 05:42 PM
Pretty sure this is dead simple. The language for the document you have open must be the same as the dictionary.

Hard bit is telling what they are. I don't have word 97 any more but in 2000 the language for the document is under Tools, Language, Set Language. Go to Tools, Spelling for the other and it is in there somewhere.

You need the dictionary language and your language default for new documents (set in the normal.dot template) to be the same.

Silly, eh?

robo.

18-01-2002, 11:00 PM
Hey Bingo! Thanks a zillion Robo. It Works!! I had one dictionary in English (USA) and the other in English (N.Z)I've made the default English [NZ]
To view the contents of the custom dictionary in order to modify /delete entries can you open it from the spellcheck menu or do you have to find the file from within Windows Explorer and access it from there? If the former, How? Thanks again. Bryan