PDA

View Full Version : Changing letters to cdrom/cd-rw

18-01-2002, 04:06 PM
I have a Windows ME with a cdrom and cd-writer. I just had my cdrom repaired cause it chomped on one of my cd. On inspecting my console(unit or system) the technician has swapped my cdrom and cd-writer in different bays. Technicians reply to my question? Go to device manager and change the letter there? I have tried and deleted the letter but it won't delete at all. Can anyone give any suggestion? Will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

18-01-2002, 04:53 PM
Not sure if it will work with you but... the Iomega Drive utility that came with the Zip drive i used to have can do this.I think it was called IomegaWare. Once you've changed it back you may then need to restore the file associations. To do this you wil need a commercial disk utility such as Partition Magic 6 or 7 - but there may be free versions available.

18-01-2002, 06:38 PM
You can't delete the drive letter, but if the two drives have been physically swapped then you should be able to swap the letters over in device manager. It can be a bit tricky. If you want to swap say D and E, you have to rename E as F, rename D as E and then rename F as D. You can't just rename D as E cos E already exists. Hope this helps.

19-01-2002, 01:36 AM
Hi Ashley

I experimented with your suggestion but no can do. I have partition magic 6/7.
Thanks for the advice.

19-01-2002, 04:31 AM
...to my knowledge there are two ways one can change a Drive's 'lettering':

Ray's suggestion of using the Device Manager should work and would be the first to try.

The second [and *only* if Ray's 'Device Manager' doesn't work] is to edit the Registry.

Clear and simple instructions on *both* methods are at the following URL.

Worth a note ... 'scroll' to bottom of that page:

Visitors may Click/Link to discussion Forums for any particular Operating Systems [Win95 / 98 / SE / ME / 2000 XP] and either read or post-back on the 'fix/s'.

Happy mending!!!

e_
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-024

19-01-2002, 11:37 AM
To change the assigned drive letter in Windows, open the device manager (start, control panel, system, device manager tab), select the CD-Rom drive and click the properties button. On the settings tab you can reserve a drive letter, set the start and end drive to the new drive letter you desire. Click OK to apply the changes. Repeat the same for the CD-RW.

19-01-2002, 02:07 PM
Hi Ray

Thanks a million.

19-01-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi Ray

Thanks a million.

19-01-2002, 02:22 PM
Hi Mysterious e- and Tristian

Thanks a lot. I have now managed to change the letters to both drives.

19-01-2002, 02:31 PM
Hi Tristan

Please except my apology for mis-spelling your name and again Thanks.