PDA

View Full Version : Can a MySky box and Freeview tv be jointly plugged in the same ethernet wall socket?

PeterE
26-02-2019, 09:01 AM
Can a MySky box and Freeview tv be jointly plugged into the same ethernet wall socket that is wired through the house from the modem?
Then I should be able to download media to both the tv and Sky box without swapping the two leads about.
Thanks in advance. Peter.

wratterus
26-02-2019, 10:33 AM
You can technically do this with an adapter at each end that splits the 4 pair CAT cable into 2 lots of 4 pairs, which will give you 2x 100Mbps links.

http://www.dynamix.co.nz/C-RJ45LT2

Honestly it's probably easier to get a switch and a couple of patch cables.

wratterus
26-02-2019, 10:50 AM
2 lots of 2 pairs I should say.

wainuitech
26-02-2019, 11:42 AM
You can technically do this with an adapter at each end that splits the 4 pair CAT cable into 2 lots of 4 pairs, which will give you 2x 100Mbps links.

http://www.dynamix.co.nz/C-RJ45LT2

Honestly it's probably easier to get a switch and a couple of patch cables. The switch would be a better option, a simple 5 port is under $30, throw in a couple of patch cables ( 1Mtr under $10 each) and away you go.

Simple to setup, Plug it into the Power Socket,the cable from the wall goes into port 1 (keeps it simple, some switches have a port marked as IN ) then ports 2 & 3 cables go off to each device, the Router sorts out the IP address required. Having a single switch also means you have a couple of extra ports if you ever need to add more devices.

If you want to be neat, wire tie the cables together.

PeterE
27-02-2019, 08:27 AM
Thank you wratterus & wainuitech
Where might I purchase one of these 5-port switches and cables now there is no Dick Smith?
Peter.

wainuitech
27-02-2019, 09:31 AM
For basic Switches, The ones I use are TP-Link, if you google "TP-Link 5-Port Gigabit desktop switch New Zealand" You'll get plenty of results. You generally could get Cables ( varying / Required length to suit your needs) from the same place.

Any Compuiter place could supply you. Just Some examples:

Mightyape https://www.mightyape.co.nz/computers/networking/switches/all

PBTech - https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/SWHTPL1007/TP-Link-TL-SG1005D-5-Port-Gigabit-Unmanaged-Switch

I just have a 8 port Switch, one day I'll get around to mounting it on the wall out of site instead on Floor mounted :)

I sell them as well, but normally the postage kills it from other places.

PeterE
28-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Can one of these Switches be mounted on the wall near my modem so as to give me the option to wire more ethernet points under the house than the present max of four from my modem?
I hope this makes sense.
Peter.

CliveM
28-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Can one of these Switches be mounted on the wall near my modem so as to give me the option to wire more ethernet points under the house than the present max of four from my modem?
I hope this makes sense.
Peter.

It certainly can.

wainuitech
28-02-2019, 04:12 PM
I hope this makes sense.
Peter. Yep they sure can :)

As mentioned I use TP-Link. Got several, inside and in the workshop.

Heres The 5 port wall mounted (in workshop) and the One in the lounge "floor Mounted" :D SWMBO decided we "had" to remove her old desk, put in Some shelving for "junk" its open backed, so need to close it off then I'll mount it out the way / Of Site.

Edited: not all switches have the mounting holes so any other brand you will have to look before buyng.

wainuitech
28-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Just adding more to above, the 5 /8 ports are only simple examples.

What you can do (if you have need lots of outlets)

Router = 4 ports - each cable connects to a 24 port Switch, so 1 port feeds 24, NOW x that by 4 , 4x24 Port switches = 92 Outlets -- (1 on each switch is in).

From those 24 Ports switches you can "daisy chain" more switches.

Here for example - Router, one port feeds a 8 port switch close by the router, from one of the ports that feeds to the 8 port in the lounge, which feeds 3 devices.

Using my previous Picture:

We wont get into Different Subnets etc thats :nerd: Stuff ;)

PeterE
01-03-2019, 03:44 PM
Well blow me down, so many possibilities!
Looks like I will need to get under the house again and run some more cable.
Thanks for your help and suggestions Wainui.
Peter.

wainuitech
01-03-2019, 06:36 PM
Well blow me down, so many possibilities!
Looks like I will need to get under the house again and run some more cable.
Thanks for your help and suggestions Wainui.
Peter. No Problems, went a little overboard with suggestions :D

But for your immediate problem, a simple 5 port Switch connected to the current feed with one outlet going to Freeview and another cable going to MySky, that will work fine and still have a few ports left Over as spares.

Kind of like this rough Sketch

PeterE
02-03-2019, 12:22 PM
Will these extra connections reduce the power (or oomph) the more the signal is split (or distributed)?

dugimodo
02-03-2019, 12:47 PM
Will these extra connections reduce the power (or oomph) the more the signal is split (or distributed)?

No, the only limitation is the gigabit speed back to the router which is shared and is not an issue for any normal use.
The two devices you mention will not come close to maxing out the connection and your internet speed would be the limit anyway.

PeterE
02-03-2019, 01:05 PM
Of the four outputs from my modem, three go to computers in different rooms and the fourth goes to either the Sky box or Tv at present.
P.