PDA

View Full Version : Windows NT4 install problem

18-01-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi,
Ive been running into the same, annoying problem over and over when i try to install Windows NT Workstation 4.0 on a intel P-75 with 64MB EDO ram, 650MB IDE h/d (Primary master), Future domain SCSI board with two 2GB scsi disks.
Firstly i copied the setup files off the CD-Rom to C:\I386 and ran setup from the hard disk. Setup creates the boot disks, and copies files which takes AGES. Then it asks you to reboot and insert the boot disks. This all goes fine UNTIL just after the mass storage device search (Which finishes succesfully, picking up my PCI IDE controller and SCSI card), a screen comes up saying something like:

Unable to locate the temporary partition created in MS-DOS portion of setup. Setup cannot continue.

I dont understand this, coz when i reboot the PC and boot off a Windows 98 boot disk the temporary NT setup files ARE on the C drive in a weird looking folder. My disk partitons are as follows:

IDE Disk - Quantum 630MB
PARTITION: Pri DOS (FAT32) 630MB

SCSI Disk - Segate 2120MB
PARTITION: DOS (FAT32) 1000MB
PARTITION: DOS (FAT32) 1120MB

SCSI Disk - Segate 2120MB
PARTITION: Unformatted

Ages ago i installed NT3.51 server and ran into this same problem, but i can't remember how i resolved it.Any help would be great, its a pain having to wait hours running setup over and over. What are the pre-install requirements for Windows NT? Am i doing anything obviously wrong?

Many thanks,
MArcus

18-01-2002, 03:11 PM
Win NT4 (or 3.5 for that matter) can't 'see' FAT32. Change your partitions to FAT(16) - when you start fdisk say no to enabling large disk support. You can have FAT partitions upto 2GB so that's not a problem for you.

18-01-2002, 06:52 PM
Brent thanks a million! It worked!!!! I tested your theory by formatting the drive with unpartitioned space as FAT16 and problem solved so far! Thanks again!