PDA

View Full Version : DEFRAGGING

18-01-2002, 02:20 PM
Hi Guys/Gals;

This might seem like a silly question, but why is it better to defrag a computer in 'Safe Mode'

And as an aside, who the hell came up with the name 'defrag'? My mother say's it sounds rude!!!

Regards, AL ;-)

18-01-2002, 02:57 PM
First, it is better to run Defrag in safe mode because defrag likes to have the hard drive not doing anything while its working, else it has to restart or go back to places where something has changed on the disk and defrag there again. Safemode loads windows with only essential drivers etc. loaded so there is little running in the background that will interrupt defrags work.

Secondly, its called 'defrag' because it 'defrags' the contents of the hard drive. Defrag is short for Defragment. Data on the hard drive gets written to wherever the drive heads find some free space, and often one file can be found spread in 'fragments' all over the drive, and eventually your hard drive becomes quite fragmented, and so we run defrag to de-fragment the hard drive, putting all the files together, and grouping folders and programs in specific places on the hard disk to improve loading and reduces the risk of losing information in files. If you never defrag your drive you will notice a gradual slow down of the running of your computer as your drive has to search all over the disk to find all the info that makes up a file when it is trying to run that file.

I hope that makes sense :)

Mike.

18-01-2002, 03:05 PM
safe mode loads 'minimal set of drivers' and no other apps. even with minimal amount of ram windows wont use the swapfile, one of the biggest causes of defrag not working. also because it dosn't have many drivers running there is less likly any chance of another device or prog interrupting defrag.

18-01-2002, 03:21 PM
What tweak'e and Mike said is right ofcourse.

But why call it 'defrag'. Just look at the other options, 'unfrag'. Just doesn't sound quite the same does it.

IMHO, JM

20-01-2002, 02:44 PM
I am sure once I try to run DEFRAG in safe mode 95,98 and it would not work.

Or maybe that was SCANDISK and because that did not work I did not do defrag.