PDA

View Full Version : M.2 NVMe SSD and / or V-NAND SSD..best set up use

kiotimak
14-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Hi. A couple questions about using M.2 NVMe SSD and a V-NAND SSD.

I am putting together the parts for a new computer build and have a Corsair Force Series MP300 240GB M.2 NVMe SSD (CSSD-F240240GBMP300)and a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB V-NAND 2.5" SSD (MZ-76E500BW) and want to use one of them as the main C Drive. How can I couple the two drives for best result.?
I think the 240GB MP300 is a bit small for a C Drive as I will be installing W10 Pro x64 v1809 and that with its updates uses a lot of drive space and once I start to load AV and a few other programmes there will not be a lot left. I bought the drive because it was on special for $70.00 NZ

If I use the 500GB 860 EVO as main C Drive that will give me more space to instal to and as one of the new Computer games I have is 52GB unpacked and 67.3GB installed that definitely will not leave much free space n the 240GB M.2 NVMe SSD.
At the moment I have almost all I will instal to new rig installed onto a 500 GB SATA HDD and have 315GB free of 465GB available.

Would I be best to install all to the 240GB M.2 NVMe and use the Evo 860 as a slave drive and instal more programmes/games/apps to that or should I simply just use the Evo 860...or maybe return both and do a swap for a 1TB 860 Evo SSD?

The other components of the new rig are Gigabyte AB350M-D3H motherboard, AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU, 16GB GSkill FlareX 2966GHz Cl 15 DDR4 RAM and an EVGA 650GD 650W 80Plus Gold 80 + PSU. Am considering buying a Radeon RX570/580 GPU Card...when the new 3rd Gen AMD 3600 CPU is released.
I am expecting the AMD Ryzen5 and the GSkill Ram to arrive in courier delivery this morning and then I will hook it all together.

Will have to reinstal W10 and get it activated again as its new computer. I could try clone all I have on this computer 500GB HDD over to the new set up, but...will still have to have it activated again, so maybe its best for a clean instal all.

Courier man just made my day and bought the goodies to my door. :D

No rush to get it all up and running...haste makes waste.

Cheers in advance.

wratterus
14-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Use the NVMe SSD as the boot drive - it's much faster. Use the 500GB as a data drive - you can redirect user folders, and setup game librarys etc on that second SSD.

dugimodo
14-02-2019, 11:20 AM
While I agree with wratterus in all honesty I don't think you will notice the difference whichever you use as a boot device.
Also 240G is plenty for a Boot drive as long as you install games and store large files elsewhere. I find 120Gb can be a bit restrictive but 240 is no problem.
Also I did manage to run windows on a 32GB SBC for a while so I know it's possible (don't do that, seriously).

I recently switched to an NVME SSD boot drive from a sata based SSD and it's honestly not that easy to tell. Old drive was an 850 evo SATA SSD, new drive is a 960 evo NVME drive.
Windows boot times and software launches are more affected by the random acess performance than sequential read and write speed.

wainuitech
14-02-2019, 02:37 PM
I think the 240GB MP300 is a bit small for a C Drive as I will be installing W10 Pro x64 v1809 and that with its updates uses a lot of drive space and once I start to load AV and a few other programmes there will not be a lot left. That wont take up much room.

Just did a install yesterday on a 256GB SSD, had a look after reading this post, With Windows 10, all updates, Microsoft office 2016, + nod32 antivirus total space used 22.87GB

You want space ?? costs $$, like the one I'm about to build, main drive is 1TB M.2 SSD with 4 TB mechanical Storage drive :)

kiotimak
15-02-2019, 10:49 PM
wratterus: thanks for the advice. I was considering doing that as you suggested. I recall speedy gonzales , from at least 8-10 year ago advising me that Computer Games are best installed to the Main C Drive when I had asked a question about installing to a Slave HDD or External HDD. I installed many games to the Slave drive and they worked without any signs of lag etc.
Cheers and I am about to instal Win 10 Pro x64 v 1809 and A Comodo IS and then set it aside to run and download Windows updates etc, while I sleep :D
Thanks again (y) :D

kiotimak
15-02-2019, 11:09 PM
dugimodo: thanks. As you see I opted for the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU as opposed to the 2600. I figured that the 2400G will do a grand job for the next year and also it will be a nice ;back up drive to have at hand if/when I upgrade to the 3600 when it is released, this year sometime. As well as getting a Decent GPU for it. I could get that Radeon RX570 now and instal /use it with the 2400G. I will be choosing the Radeon GPU as opposed to the Nvidia Cards I have been using exclusively for 12-55 years, reason for my going to Radeon is because the cards drivers are 100% compatible with the Ryzen 5 2400G APU whereas it has been reported/discovered that there is a conflict between the Ryzen 5 2400G APU Graphics and Nividia Drivers,,,that both Radeon and Nividia are working to rectify the problem.
Thanks

kiotimak
15-02-2019, 11:37 PM
wainuitech: thanks. I will be using the M.2 NVMe 240GB as Main Boot drive and the 860 Evo as a slave (data/games instal drive).... As for space :D ... yeah I have been accustomed to having Sata 3 1TB Boot Drives or a 2TB ...usually a 1TB. I will have to adjust my storing habits . As for space I have 4x 4TB Sata External USB HDD's and I was running a 1 or 2TB Sata 3 HDD in the computer as a Storage drive, usually for when I am editing and compiling video files and tracscoding them to DVD Vob/IFO movie format or to MKV MP or .H264 if the person whose camcorder/video recordings wanted a compilation in that format. .H264/.H265 play well on a Blue Ray home theaters and the qualty is fantastic imo.
Maybe in the year as it progresses I might purchase a 1TB M.2 NVMe or a Evo 1TB SSD.... see how things go for the time being.
I am looking forward to getting the new rig up and running and see what I been kmssing out on with not using SSD's and DDR RAM. I am always a generation or two behind but I get along fine. Also the step up to 3.6GHz from the 2.8GHz of the AMD Athlon II 630x4 I have used for the past ten year will be a nice little buzz. It served me well did that nice quad core. I was so fast I couldn't be caught to be given a speeding ticket.
I only have a basic Monitor that is LCD so unfortunately I do not get the full benefits of of the rippling water image details etc if I had a monitor that will gimme the 4K imagery. Another ' somewhere over the rainbow' there's crock of delights waiting for me. :D
Thanks very much.

kiotimak
15-02-2019, 11:43 PM
Now my friends and advisors, I go to start the W10 instal. The road is long but better than the Clone from this Computer to the new one. New rig deserves a clean Fresh beginning,
Ciao for now.

kiotimak
16-02-2019, 08:51 AM
I took the plunge and have just purchased a Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB GDDR5 Graphics Card, should the AMD Ryzen 5 2400G need a little help from a friend.
But in all honesty I am confident the APU will perform well for me with what I usually do with my computer.
https://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=1950764257

Now to return to the Installing of W10 etc. I used the motherboard CD that came with it to install all the drivers etc before I started the install of OS etc.... could maybe have sought out a newer set of drivers to Dload and use, but I used what was available, and also because the Google Searching I did wasn't actually taken me to anything more recent. Can always do a Driver update in the near future.

Brekkie time now. :D then back to work. :D

wainuitech
16-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Now to return to the Installing of W10 etc. I used the motherboard CD that came with it to install all the drivers etc before I started the install of OS etc.... could maybe have sought out a newer set of drivers to Dload and use, but I used what was available, and also because the Google Searching I did wasn't actually taken me to anything more recent. Nothing wrong with doing that EXCEPT, go to the manufactures site to look for anything Newer. OFTEN third party Drivers are fake or BAD !!

When using the Provided CD, it installs, Windows then looks at the manufactures Drivers and updates any required. These days manufactures give the latest drivers to Microsoft for the updates.

Example heres the latest Drivers for the Motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-D3H-rev-10#support-dl-driver

kiotimak
16-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Nothing wrong with doing that EXCEPT, go to the manufactures site to look for anything Newer. OFTEN third party Drivers are fake or BAD !!

When using the Provided CD, it installs, Windows then looks at the manufactures Drivers and updates any required. These days manufactures give the latest drivers to Microsoft for the updates.

Example heres the latest Drivers for the Motherboard https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-AB350M-D3H-rev-10#support-dl-driver

wainuitech
Thanks for the info. I checked the link you posted and will look into it further. Nice to know HW Manufacturers are supplying MS with updates.
I have been reading up on the Instal and Use of M.2 NVMe SSD's and it has been most informative. Having been the mechanical HDD all of my computer user life, the process is somewhat different using NVMe SSD's. Having to enter BIOS (UEFI) and do the setting up of the M.2 NVMe etc as I will be installing W10 Pro v 1809 from the Media Creation tool I used earlier to download the September updated version. I have it on 16GB USB. ........ this link isn't the one I was reading earlier today but it gives the basic info and guide
https://tinkertry.com/how-to-boot-win10-from-samsung-950-pro-nvme-on-superserver

https://www.google.co.nz/search?client=opera&hs=1TJ&ei=YtBnXN2WAZC99QPbtpeoAg&q=installing+windows+to+NVMe+SSD&oq=intslling+windows+to+NVMe+SSD&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..12451...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.PdWTkd_Ql0w

kiotimak
18-02-2019, 04:42 PM
Total disaster! I have close on $900 of new Computer HW and it will not boot up into Splash Screen/Post or BIOS ...... and its all because the BIOS on the Mobo is for Gen 1 Ryzen and needs to be updated to new BIOS for the Ryzen 5 2400G to function!!!!! From what I was told by Tech at Computer Lounge, the only way I can get that BIOS updated is to have access to a Gen 1 Ryzen CPU/APU, instal that and run the computer and then update the BIOS to one that will run the 2nd Gen Ryzen 5 2400G.
They never said anything about having to do that when I purchased the HW...it was "All ready to Plug and Go" wording. Computer lounge offer an Update service they can do and all I need to send is the Mobo or I can cart it all off to a local ComputerMate store and get it done there. Either way it's not going to come cheap.
Totally pithed off I am. Seething.

Gigabyte AB350M-D3H...AMD Ryzen 5 2400G APU...Corsair Force Series M.2 NVMe Gen 2 x3 240GB SSD...16GB GSkill Flare X 2966 DDR4 CL16 RAM..EVGA SuperNova 750 G2 750W 80Plus Gold Ful lModular PSU. .........Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon™ RX 580 8GD5 on its way in the courier post.

wratterus
18-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Yes, that is one of the few downsides of AMD keeping the same socket alive for so long. We keep one of those CPUs here for this specific reason. To be honest I'd have expected the stock of mainboards with the older BIOS version to have filtered through by now, but possibly the model you've got is not a big seller.

kiotimak
18-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Update of info.............. seems I will have to send the Mobo up north to Comp Lounge to get the BIOS updated because none of the Computer repair shops here in Dunedin have a 1st Gen Ryzen they can use to get the rig running and update the BIOS to run Gen 2 Ryzen Processors. Such is life, so I packing the mobo into its box and its getting couriered there in the morning. I reckon I am looking at $60-$100 to get the job done. Sighhhhhhhhh

kiotimak
18-02-2019, 05:14 PM
wratterus.........yeah thanks. I purchased the mobo about a year ago and it has just sat here unboxed until I bought the 2400G and other HW last week... but the 2nd gen AMD Ryzens were on the market when I bought the mobo. Originally I was going to purchase the 2700X CPU and I changed to getting the AB350M-D3h from the A320 something.......................... maybe I should just buy a new Mobo...a B450 or X370/x470

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3175005/computers/amd-ryzen-motherboards-explained-the-crucial-differences-in-every-am4-chipset.html

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3256290/computers/confirmed-amd-will-loan-chips-to-help-with-motherboard-updates-for-ryzen-apus.html

wratterus
18-02-2019, 05:38 PM
That does explain why the BIOS is older then, and it's not CL's fault really, especially as it was bought over a year ago. If you bought all the gear at the same time it would be fair enough to be a bit upset.

Why are you looking at that much $$? Hell, if you sent it to us with the RAM and your CPU on the board we'd do it for $45 + freight back to you. Why do you think it would cost you that much?

You could probably buy a CPU yourself off trademe for less than that and do it yourself, sell it again afterward.
Did you try GoldenLeaf?

kiotimak
18-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Bought a new motherboard instead: http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=31418

kiotimak
18-02-2019, 07:10 PM
wratterus...I bought the motherboard from a shop in Dunedin called Golden Leaf International about a year ago. I had all the other HW linked to a list of items I wanted but dropped it all after I had paid for the mobo. Took that and decided to look elsewhere and it took a year for me to get around to doing it. They should have known in GLI that the motherboard wasn't going to run the 2nd gen 2700X I was going to buy through them. Anyway I have just ordered a new mobo that will run the 2nd gen 2400G. Why do I say it would have cost me $60-$100... because freight to Auckland and back would be $60-$70 and then the charge for doing the BIOS update. Also I know the shops here in Dunedin charge $50.00 for 15 minutes and it takes them that long to get the case open!! :D Besides...about 4-5 year ago I went to a local repair shop and asked if he could test the power on thr plug that gets plugged into a external HDD because the thing was not supplying power to the drive.... he asked me to leave it with him...and asked if I could bring the ext HDD in which I did. A few days later I went to see what the score was and he wanted $200 from me!!! Shocked I said what for? All I wanted you to do was check the bloody plug from the 240W transformer box cable connector to the HDD to see if there was any voltage there. I said you could have used a multi meter to do that. No no no he said..... he had opened the case of the external HDD ( nullifying the warranty that I had with the Drive) and had told me that it needed a new case because the small PCB inside had failed and it no works. He said a new enclosure $100 and his time...... I said mate I can buy a new enclosure for half that price and apart from that I didn't ask you to dismantle the HDD case and get inside of it. I asked you to check for a voltage at the round plug that plugs into the External HDD case............. the !@#$ had removed the HDD from the case and had run it direct wired to a computer and saw that it contained over 3TB of Digital Movies and Music discographies. He was basically holding my Baby for Ransom. I eventually got the drive back from him for $20 after I threatened to charge him for blackmailing me. So I guess I a bit wary.... oh yeah and then before that there was the upstart in Oamaru, young bloke...I took him a Optical Drive that wasn't working and an ATA IDE HDD.... I had had a couple 'words' with him before...anyway I got the two items back from the little prick and he said the pins are bent........ well I can assure you the pins were not bent before I took them to him to check for me.....yeah I took the two items not in the computer case.... How am I going to check them he asked ....dumbfounded I looked at him and said to connect them to a computer...a work bench...just like the one I had I thought he would have the same set up as this hillbilly in his flash shop.
I had looked on TradeMe for a compatible CPU that I could have used to do the BIOS update but an old Dual core the same as the one that AMD are offering in the "Boot Kit" help was $100 and quite frankly I just couldn't be hassled looking for something so I bought the new B450 Mobo.

wratterus
19-02-2019, 09:15 AM
That's all fair enough. It can be tough for suppliers to keep up with all these little pitfalls, especially if they are not working with the hardware on a day to day basis.

Edit - I mean what you've done is fair enough. Not the service you've had from those two repairers, that's very disappointing.

kiotimak
19-02-2019, 10:04 AM
wratterus: hi and cheers. a new bummer is that none of the B450 mobo's I looked at from CL have any PCI expansion slots. I usually only use one PCI slot for an Intel NIC. Guess I just have to use the onboard Realtek®RTL8111H, ..........maybe I should have got a mobo that has wifi. Might have a quick looksee and change my order before its dispatched

thanks

wratterus
19-02-2019, 11:59 AM
PCI is basically dead. :) if you really want an Intel NIC, I would recommend getting a board with that onboard, or you could buy a PCI-e one, but honestly the Realtek is fine.

kiotimak
20-02-2019, 07:29 PM
PCI is basically dead. :) if you really want an Intel NIC, I would recommend getting a board with that onboard, or you could buy a PCI-e one, but honestly the Realtek is fine.

wratterus; cheers...I have an Intel NIC but I will have to settle for the Realtek and yeah it will be fine. I have used it on my previous builds. So PCI is dead huh. Oki doki. That shows how outa date I am :D I certainly not going to buy a mobo with built in Intel or a PCIe NIC :D

Still waiting on the Asus B450 to arrive, I think it will get here tomorrow according to the tracking there is on it...then I can move all the necessary bits over to it and hopefully by this time tomorrow night I will have W10 Pro x64 v1809 up and running with some basic Apps and an AV.

Cheers

wainuitech
20-02-2019, 07:41 PM
and hopefully by this time tomorrow night I will have W10 Pro x64 v1809 up and running with some basic Apps and an AV.
ANNNDDDD just to add -- The public release of 1903 is due out very shortly.:D The insider build of 1903 is already out, just needs a few finishing touches.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 01:24 PM
ANNNDDDD just to add -- The public release of 1903 is due out very shortly.:D The insider build of 1903 is already out, just needs a few finishing touches.

wainuitech: thanks I will keep an eye out for it.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 01:40 PM
OK! here is the final straw, I think. I got the Asus Prime B450 M mobo an hour ago, got it all connected up with Ryzen and PSU and RAM and NVMe..... booted well. I got into BIOS to set to boot from The NVMe.... it was already set to boot from that.... and then it did this when I rebooted...... it showed the W10 Logo and I thought "WTF!" the NVMe has had nothing installed to it ( is that the NVMe setting up for W10 to be installed)..... I rebooted, entered BIOS/ Setup and chose to boot from the Sata Optic drive so I could instal the CD that came with the mobo, rebooted and had a whole screen full of white text on black background and it was like watching GParted Live CD opening.... every thing there was in Linux...then it went to FreeDos and that is totally alien to me and commands I have to enter. Shut that sown, removed the CD and rebooted. Get onscreen message "Reboot and choose proper boot device".............. back into Set up amd the NVME is set to be first boot ( I beginning to wonder if I have to enter Setup every time I want to boot from a CD to instal...... I have been Gigabyte Mobo user for 15 years and have never had any of this trouble before and also I am using a completely new BIOS Setup user interface to what I am accustomed.
I phoned Comp Lounge to ask what the dickens is going on...man I spoke with said the W10 Logo appearance is strange....said I need to instal OS before instal from the CD.... and that when I go to instal W10 x64 Pro v1809 from the USB I have it on to format the NVMe to wipe it..... why I dunno because the NVMe has never had anything installed on it, but I will give it a whirl soon and try installing the W10 I have.
Me thinks maybe I should have bought the Gigabyte B450 mobo even though it had 2 Sata connections less. Asus is 100% Alien to me. Too late now, I am not buying a 3rd mobo.
Any info you learned ones can give will be well appreciated, thanks. I only have the NVMe SSD installed...I was going to connect the Evo SSD after W10 installed so there bve no conflicts with having 2 SSD's installed.
Cheers.

wratterus
21-02-2019, 02:49 PM
Should be very easy - boot from the USB drive you created earlier (make sure you choose the UEFI boot option) choose the NVMe drive to install Windows to, there wouldn't normally be any partitions on it, but if there is, delete, then hit install. The installer will do the rest. It's possible you've created a partition on the drive if you were doing something in linux earlier.

Asus & Gigabyte are both excellent and very similar in general. The Asus will have a 'normal' BIOS layout behind the main welcome screen.

You don't need to touch anything that's not the Windows install media at this point.

You did use the Windows Media Creation tool to create your Windows 10 Flash Drive right?

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Also, don't use the disk that came with the mainboard, go and get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 02:57 PM
Should be very easy - boot from the USB drive you created earlier (make sure you choose the UEFI boot option) choose the NVMe drive to install Windows to, there wouldn't normally be any partitions on it, but if there is, delete, then hit install. The installer will do the rest. It's possible you've created a partition on the drive if you were doing something in linux earlier.

You don't need to touch anything that's not the Windows install media at this point.

You did use the Windows Media Creation tool to create your Windows 10 Flash Drive right?

https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Also, don't use the disk that came with the mainboard, go and get the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website.

wratterus
thanks I will give that a go in a few minutes. yes I used the media creation tool to get a fresh download of W10 x64 v1809.......... I wont use the disc that came with the mobo, as wainuitech said, its doene by MS and I will look into that later.
I will try to boot into the USB drive with W10 on it to install it.... as for choosing the UEFI boot option and cheesong the NVMe to instal to is the UEFI boot option FIRST chosen in BIOS Setup?
this video clip I have about installing to NVMe is kinda way up in the clouds for me

https://www.google.co.nz/search?client=opera&hs=1TJ&ei=YtBnXN2WAZC99QPbtpeoAg&q=installing+windows+to+NVMe+SSD&oq=intslling+windows+to+NVMe+SSD&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0..12451...0.0..0.0.0.......0......gws-wiz.PdWTkd_Ql0w#kpvalbx=1

wratterus
21-02-2019, 03:00 PM
I think the Asus boot menu key is F8 - tap that after you power the PC on with the USB drive inserted, you should be able to choose the flash drive with the 'UEFI' option to boot from. You can also set the boot order in the BIOS if you can't get the F8 boot key working for some reason. After that it should all be plain sailing.

dugimodo
21-02-2019, 03:08 PM
Some weirdness there for sure, you shouldn't be booting off a driver CD but it's possible Asus included freedos on it as a way to boot and update the BIOS if required and if so that's actually a good Idea IMHO.
Did you have your windows install disk plugged in to cause the windows logo at all? because that is the weirdest part if you didn't.

When you boot off a UEFI windows install drive it often shows up twice in the boot options - once as UEFI which you should use, and once as some sort of non UEFI legacy boot option which is included for older hardware without UEFI support.

You could also enable secure boot before installing windows if you wanted to - improves the security a little by only allowing a boot from certified OSes - I don't always rememer to check that though except when turning it off to play with other OSes.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 03:18 PM
I'm shutting down here and going to get the new rig powered up. I will plug the USB with W10 on it into the new rig and see if it fins it itself and then go figure how to instal it to the NVMe SSD. My trying to get the BIOS / Setup in this Asus board to be first boot from USB is going to be fun. I getting close to sending the lot to the knackers yard.
ciao

wainuitech
21-02-2019, 03:19 PM
Give you a hint - Ignore that video. :waughh::waughh: That was as confusing as hell. There' no need to do most of that.

About the only part that you should listen to is the part about having no other hard Drives attached when first installing,It will pick up the one and only drive the M.2

Just finished building and installing the PC I mentioned earlier, it has a Gigabyte H370 Board, with a M.2 1TB SSD.

Installed windows, put in the drivers that came with the board & Graphic Card, windows didn't detect the ethernet either onboard so no internet until I put them in then it was away laughing :)

Why you got the Microsoft Symbol at boot with no other media is weird, MS don't have anything to do with that, whos to say someone was going to install Linux on that Board ?

The only time you should get the logo is if you have a USB or DVD with the install ( like wratterus pointed out) attached to the computer. If you had neither attached it should just try to look for some boot device and then come up with a error message saying something along the lines of no bootable device attached.

What I normally do is first power up - go into the BIOS, set the time and date correctly, after that you can basically exit the BIOS. Put in either a USB or DVD, reboot, it will locate which ever you have, get the windows logo and proceed to install.

Later on once installed you can go back into the BIOS if you want and change the default boot order, but all that other guff in the video is not required.

IF it showed the windows logo with nothing attached then to me that would indicate the drives been possibly used before to install windows, somewhere else.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 03:22 PM
Some weirdness there for sure, you shouldn't be booting off a driver CD but it's possible Asus included freedos on it as a way to boot and update the BIOS if required and if so that's actually a good Idea IMHO.
Did you have your windows install disk plugged in to cause the windows logo at all? because that is the weirdest part if you didn't.

When you boot off a UEFI windows install drive it often shows up twice in the boot options - once as UEFI which you should use, and once as some sort of non UEFI legacy boot option which is included for older hardware without UEFI support.

You could also enable secure boot before installing windows if you wanted to - improves the security a little by only allowing a boot from certified OSes - I don't always rememer to check that though except when turning it off to play with other OSes.

wratterus...nope I didn't have the W10 USB disc plugged into the new rig when I first booted it and thats what I thought was weird so I clicked to use US Keyboard and decided enough is enough and rebooted.
Looks like I gonna need a idiots guide to asus bios goooey :D

I going to 'play it by ear' from here :D I mean what could possibly go wrong, or right ?? :D
ciao

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 04:19 PM
Give you a hint - Ignore that video. :waughh::waughh: That was as confusing as hell. There' no need to do most of that.

About the only part that you should listen to is the part about having no other hard Drives attached when first installing,It will pick up the one and only drive the M.2

Just finished building and installing the PC I mentioned earlier, it has a Gigabyte H370 Board, with a M.2 1TB SSD.

Installed windows, put in the drivers that came with the board & Graphic Card, windows didn't detect the ethernet either onboard so no internet until I put them in then it was away laughing :)

Why you got the Microsoft Symbol at boot with no other media is weird, MS don't have anything to do with that, whos to say someone was going to install Linux on that Board ?

The only time you should get the logo is if you have a USB or DVD with the install ( like wratterus pointed out) attached to the computer. If you had neither attached it should just try to look for some boot device and then come up with a error message saying something along the lines of no bootable device attached.

What I normally do is first power up - go into the BIOS, set the time and date correctly, after that you can basically exit the BIOS. Put in either a USB or DVD, reboot, it will locate which ever you have, get the windows logo and proceed to install.

Later on once installed you can go back into the BIOS if you want and change the default boot order, but all that other guff in the video is not required.

IF it showed the windows logo with nothing attached then to me that would indicate the drives been possibly used before to install windows, somewhere else.

wainuitech
thanks...yep that video is a brain bender. I restarted the new rig with only Mobo, RAM, MP300 and PSU, and the W10 USB drive and it all booted and went through the Instal of OS. Fastest I ever seen! Didn't have time to roll a ciggy and smoke it...was under 5 minutes then I had to do all the Set up and choosing Privacy etc etc etc. I signed into PF1 using Edge and saw your comment. Tried to reply to it and was told I don't have sufficeient privileges ..seen that one before but I had signed in as kiotii and not kioti because it said mu pword was wrong for kioti.... all good here and now I know what to do in the New Rig.
As for the NVMe drive being used elsewhere I can't see how because it was new from Comp Lounge....but having said that, because it was on special for $69.99 from $99.99, it may well have been a RTB that someone had got and didn't want...total conjecture there.
I am going to get both Computers running sidexside so I can read here and do there.....Comp Lounge didn't have the EVGA 750W Gold PSU I wanted in stock and had to get it ordered in they notified me, so they offered me a Corsair HX Series HX750 750W 80Plus Platinum Fully Modular Power Suppy (CP-9020137-AU) in lieu so I accepted.... that should have arrived today but hasn't so at the mo I am using the CoolerMaster 550W to move it from one rig to the other. PITA....I think I will run this computer using the 350W PSU I have here...it will run this rig, and this 550W in the new rig.
Now for a cuppa and then I will do the redistribution of the PSU's and get both rigs on the go.
cheers

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 04:27 PM
sorry dugimodo, i addressed you as wratterus :D

wainuitech
21-02-2019, 04:42 PM
As for the NVMe drive being used elsewhere I can't see how because it was new from Comp Lounge....but having said that, because it was on special for $69.99 from $99.99, it may well have been a RTB that someone had got and didn't want...total conjecture there. Who knows ?
Wouldn't be the first time a Shop sold a RTB part and its been used before. Thats one thing I like about my suppliers, IF a part is RTB they say so. Sometimes they have discounts for open Box - That's when someone may have brought something opened the box found out its not the right part, and returned it unused.

Most of the boxing should come with a tag / Tape over the opening to show it hasn't been opened.

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 04:50 PM
started the new rig to instal W10 with HW I said and of course Keyboard and Mouse connected and Speakers and Internet Cat 5 cable. :D I forgot to mention those items

kiotimak
21-02-2019, 05:00 PM
Who knows ?
Wouldn't be the first time a Shop sold a RTB part and its been used before. Thats one thing I like about my suppliers, IF a part is RTB they say so. Sometimes they have discounts for open Box - That's when someone may have brought something opened the box found out its not the right part, and returned it unused.

Most of the boxing should come with a tag / Tape over the opening to show it hasn't been opened.

wainuitech
yeah the NVMe SSD came in a plastic inner case that had no seals on it and just pulled open and that was inside the black MP300 box and all that had on it was a circular tab of sellotape at each end of the box holding the top and bottom closed shut. All looked good to me.
When I installed W10 to it there was no mention of anything installed to it and I clicked the "New" option and the 2 partitions were created before instal began.
Well so far so good. Will be having a look into it all shortly and installing the Internet Security I use and other necessary apps etc. Always a long process.

Cheers

wainuitech
21-02-2019, 07:50 PM
I clicked the "New" option and the 2 partitions were created before instal began.

Cheers Wonder if that had anything to do with it ? (Clicking New) Never done that, all I do is select the drive (usually only one) Next, Next etc. Windows creates the required partitions on its own.

kioti
22-02-2019, 04:50 PM
Wonder if that had anything to do with it ? (Clicking New) Never done that, all I do is select the drive (usually only one) Next, Next etc. Windows creates the required partitions on its own.
wainuitech
hi.... I clicked the 'New' after I had clicked to instal W10 to the M.2 , basically because it is what I was accustomed to doing when I installed Win OS to the SATA HDD's I had used for years prior to the first time use of this M.2 SSD I am now using. and I am stunned at the short time to go from power on to usable desktop....But, I have a couple of problems and I will compose a comment to add here shortly. Just a couple of bug bears that have happened and I just might have to do a Format and fresh instal OS and the few programs/apps/ and game I installed yesterday. I will explain as best I can in the comment I will now go and compose, trying my best to keep it short and to the point

Thanks

kioti
22-02-2019, 06:22 PM
ok. here is an update of events since I installed W10 to the M.2 SSD. I installed Comodo Internet Security Premium v11 and Java, Adobe Flash Player and Opera Browser.
I am knocked out re: the rapid boot up, from hitting Power on button to entering the Pin number to sign in to W10 and having a usable Desktop, 10-12 seconds. Shutdown is the same. Impressed I am.
However I have a couple of issues that have happened since I installed Opera Browser. and this is strange because it does the same if I use Edge Browser. I can only open Facebook. I try to open anything else and I get a notification that says something along the lines " Suspicious behavior has been noticed from your Internet use
that may be against the "Terms of service" and this can be overcome by solving a capture to prove I am human and not a robot. Well, there are no 'capture' images appearing for me to go pick the pictures of cars or bicycles or traffic lights etc etc, so I cannot 'solve' anything to prove I am not a robot. Also, clicking to read the "Terms of service" only opens to show the first 2-3 lines of whatever is written there.
As I said, this happens in both Opera and Edge. I uninstalled Opera and reinstalled it to try to get around the barrier but that did zilch. I can't uninstall Edge (as far as I know) and I wouldn't want to...so I wondering if the issue is being caused by my Comodo IS. (?) I could try uninstall-reinstall it and see if that fixes the issue but somehow I feel that it won't. I can try , it only takes about 15-20 minutes.
Or I can simply format the M.2 and start again with fresh everything.

Now here is the main issue of the 2 that I have. Regarding the install and using the Samsung 860 EVO SSD.
I want to use the drive to install Games and other Programs so yesterday I decided to connect it to the new Ryzen rig and hooked it up to the Sata Power and Data cables.
Booted into Windows and found no show of the SSD in the 'This PC' window. Only shows the M.2 drive.
Shut down, rebooted and entered BIOS/UEFI to see if the Samsung was shown in there, it was. So I am wondering why its not showing in 'This PC' window.
I got the little booklet that came with the drive and tried to read that minuscule text, needed a magnifying glass as well ae my reading specs and that made it almost readable. May need a microscope.
I digress....
In the booklet it mentioned having to refer to the mobo user booklet to get the connection method and also pointed to there having to be 'Samsung Magician" app installed to get the drive to work.
Well as I couldn't do a Search in any of the 2 Browsers I have, the hunt for Samsung Magician was not possible.
So, what I had to do was install the 64GB game Sniper Elite 4 and the Visual C++ redistributable files and DX Files that came with the game to the M.2 SSD.
I can't be getting too much more of those large Apps/Games installed to the 240GB M.2 drive.
So I do't know how I am going to get the Samsung 860 EVO usable for installing Games etc to it.

Oh and kinda like final part...I am using the older rig I have and not the Ryzen one because when I got it up and running with OS and Internet Security, I went to sign into Press F1 and mistakenly entered the user name kiotii and not kioti, entered the password and stupidly ticked to 'Remember me'
which saved the user name and pword and now I cannot sign into Press F1 on that Ryzen rig because when I enter proper user name of kioti and enter pword and click to Signin, it is auto changing and using kiotii. Unless I can remove that'saved' user sign in I am locked out of PF1.
Hence, another reason why I mat have to to a Format and fresh instal all.
With that which I have on the M.2 SSD I could have reinstalled in 2-3 hours at most.
What I really want to get working and usable is the Samsung 860 EVO SSD.

Now to finish off :D
I received the Corsair HX 750 PSU today and shortly I will set about getting it connected up into the Ryzen rig.
I wish to add that I am very impressed with the Ryzen rigs performance: fast and graphics in the Sniper Elite 4 game were great, instant response to aiming and shooting the enemy, as is anything I do and with what I can do in Facebook :D
I need more access to Internet sites than FB though :D
The Graphics from the Ryzen 5 2400G are a very noticeable increase in quality than that which I was getting running the EVGA GT 710 1GB Graphics card and I guess the 16GB or G Skill Flare X will be adding to that...I wonder what it is going to be like when the Radeon Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB Graphics Card arrives and gets installed.
Will be a kinda magic for me, all that VRAM at my disposal...however, I feel I may miss out on some of the graphic quality because the monitor I have is nothing special, it is an HP v216 LCD ,it does a good job, but if I want to get the best from the Ryzen 2400G and the Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB Graphics Card, I just might needs to be purchasing a monitor that will do justice to the HW.
Time will tell.

Thanks for reading and I await your comments and suggestions about the bugs I have at the moment. As said, I really want to get the Samsung 860 EVO up and running. I need it That is prime on the to-do list :D

p.s: I can use this computer to search for the Samsung Magician software, until I have the Ryzen Rig on the road again.

Cheers.

kioti
22-02-2019, 07:16 PM
Samsung Magician................... maybe the Samsung 860EVO needs a driver. I am having a look in here.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?client=opera&q=samsung+magician&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/

chiefnz
22-02-2019, 07:19 PM
Booted into Windows and found no show of the SSD in the 'This PC' window

Have you initialized and/or created a partition on the EVO?

Go to Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management and see if the EVO is showing up but has an Unallocated designation.

You may just need to initialize the disk (right click on the disk and select initialize) and then create a primary partition so that the system can "see" the disk and it's partition. You just need to right click anywhere in the "Unallocated" area and select "New Simple Volume" after you've initialized it.

If none of the above works then the disk could be dead?

Is your M.2 in SATA or PCI-E mode? I'd assume it's PCI-E if you can see both M.2 and the EVO. With some motherboards if the M.2 disk is SATA you lose the ability to plug anything into SATA port 1 on the motherboard. Though as I've mentioned if you can see it in the BIOS you're probably good to go.

Cheers,

kioti
23-02-2019, 03:23 AM
Have you initialized and/or created a partition on the EVO?

Go to Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management and see if the EVO is showing up but has an Unallocated designation.

You may just need to initialize the disk (right click on the disk and select initialize) and then create a primary partition so that the system can "see" the disk and it's partition. You just need to right click anywhere in the "Unallocated" area and select "New Simple Volume" after you've initialized it.

If none of the above works then the disk could be dead?

Is your M.2 in SATA or PCI-E mode? I'd assume it's PCI-E if you can see both M.2 and the EVO. With some motherboards if the M.2 disk is SATA you lose the ability to plug anything into SATA port 1 on the motherboard. Though as I've mentioned if you can see it in the BIOS you're probably good to go.

Cheers,

chiefnz
Hi and thanks. I had completely forgotten about the SSD being Unallocated space and not having a partition created on it. I don't usually use Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management[ to check for unallocated space and to wipe HDD's or Create Partitions from unallocated Space, having used Easeus Partition Master Technical for years :D. But as I have not installed Easeus to the M.2 SSD. Having now fitted the PSU and made the 3 connections to Mobo ATX 24 pin cable, the EPS ATX/12v for CPU (APU) and the 860 EVO Sata cables to the drive, I am about to boot into the Ryzen rig. I will do as you said and get into Control Panel--->Administrative Tools--->Computer Management--->Disk Management[ and hopefully the 860 EVO will show in there as unallocated Space and I will get that sorted immediately. If it doesn't show I will instal Easeus and have a crack at it with that.
I prefer to not think the Evo is dead because as far as I know its not yet seen Life :D

Thanks for the advice and suggestion about Unallocated space. Fingers crossed and here goes. I will report back when I have any thing to say.

kioti
23-02-2019, 04:18 AM
cheifnz
Master stroke of Genius from you. Thanks. Evo is now visible and usable in This PC :banana937293739374

kioti
23-02-2019, 04:45 AM
Now to finish up here I am happy to report that I can sign into Press F1 on this new Ryzen rig and it is only Opera Browser that is not allowing me to access any Websites and giving that notification about Suspicious traffic and saying I can get around it by completing a Capcha but is not showing any Capcha's for me to solve. Simple answer is I will uninstall Opera and use Edge as Default Browsing app.
Here are 2 thumbnails of Opera notification and Edge showing Press F1 working well.93829383 Now that the Evo SSD is available for use I will uninstall the Sniper Elite 4 PC Game from the M.2 Drive and install it to the Evo.
Happy days, and thanks to all. :)

Garry

kioti
23-02-2019, 05:56 PM
Hi...……..just to mention something concerning what I said about the W10 logo appearing onscreen when I booted into new Ryzen rig when I was getting into BIOS/EUFI to set up the NVMe and boot orders. I hadn't mentioned the following but I will now:
After first seeing that the NVMe MP300 was visible in BIOS as first boot device and I shutdown comp, connected the Optic Drive thinking I had to instal MotherBoard Drivers etc before anything else and rebooted the computer, it had booted into a CD that was in the Optic drive that I had removed from my older rig to install to the new one. That CD I have just viewed in the Ryzen rig and I discover it is a W10 x64 Repair disc I had made some time ago and when I was trying to sort out the problems I was having at end of year with the computer I had at that time. That would explain why the Windows 10 Logo came up on screen. Unaware that there was a CD in the Optic drive I opened it and saw the CD in it and removed it, replaceing it with the Asus MBoard CD and that was when I started to get the 'Linux' files opening in what appeared to be Cmd Prompt. Oh dear :D
I have just opened and views that Asus CD in the computer now and find it has all folders for Drivers and Linux etc and that is probably why I mentioned seeing all the Linuk text on screen and the FreeDos requiring I enter commands. That Asus CD is not meant to be used until an OS is installed and running, as I was advised by the tech at Computer Lounge when I telephoned to ask questions about the W10 Logo and all the Linux/FreeDos scrolling text I had seen onscreen having booted into the Asus CD. :D
Oh dear :D
All seems to be running well and I am happy with the Rig's performance.
Here are 2 pics of the contents of the 2 CD's I mentioned. Picture quality will be better then those I had attached in comments above because I have installed and am using my DropBox facility now.938693879388