PDA

View Full Version : Thunderbird Fonts

B.M.
05-02-2019, 04:10 PM
Does anybody know how to enlarge the text in the Subject/Correspondents/Date/Size Panel of Thunderbird?

A friend is almost blind and canít read the default small font without a big magnifying glass.

Iíve seen it a lot bigger on early versions of Thunderbird but the ajustment is darn hard to find if it still exists.

There is an Add On / Extention that adjusts the Theme fonts, but not the Inward Mail one.

gary67
05-02-2019, 05:47 PM
Options, Composition & addressing, Global composing preferences.

This should be it.

Zippity
05-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Options, Composition & addressing, Global composing preferences.

This should be it.

What version of TB are you running?

I don't get your final options.

piroska
06-02-2019, 06:46 AM

gary67
06-02-2019, 06:47 AM
The latest

Zippity
06-02-2019, 07:13 AM

That doesn't resolve the OP's issue :(

Zippity
06-02-2019, 07:16 AM
The latest

So is mine:

And the options you offer are not present :(

Read this https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1235630

wainuitech
06-02-2019, 09:14 AM
This works on Windows so Maywork on Linux as well. Thunderbird 60.5.0 (32-bit)

Found these instructions:

Go to Tools|Add-ons in Thunderbird;
Switch to its Extensions tab;
Type Theme Font & Size Changer into the search box;
Click its magnifying glass;
Select the required add-on from the list (assuming multiple add-ons are offered);
Click its Install button.

Once installed open Thunderbird, top Right is "Theme Font & Size Changer" Button

Top Option is the Zoom

Change the percentage to suit, just tried on this Windows PC, and set the zoom to 200%.

Results Original & Zoom:

The picture doesn't show it as good as it is, the 200% zoom really enlarges it a LOT.

Safari
06-02-2019, 11:26 AM
Have had this running on Mac Thunderbird for some time
Have found changing the Size option (3 down from percentage) to Custom and set size to about 20 or what suits.

This works on Windows so Maywork on Linux as well. Thunderbird 60.5.0 (32-bit)

Found these instructions:

Once installed open Thunderbird, top Right is "Theme Font & Size Changer" Button

Top Option is the Zoom

Change the percentage to suit, just tried on this Windows PC, and set the zoom to 200%.

Results Original & Zoom:

The picture doesn't show it as good as it is, the 200% zoom really enlarges it a LOT.

B.M.
06-02-2019, 02:53 PM
I havenít had a chance to fully investigate this problem yet as I arenít in possession of the computer, but, reading some of the many links, it would appear that the facility had worked well for years and then Mozilla thought it fit to fix something that wasnít broken.

This raised the ire of a zillion visually impaired users who could no longer read who their e-mails were from and didnít want to just click and see.

Anyway, Mozilla was apparently unrepentant, so a third party wrote an add-on that you could add to Thunderbird, to enlarge the text, but the next Thunderbird update that was broken too.

Back came the third party with a fix for the problem, but Mozilla werenít to be outdone and their next update broke that too.

So, the version of Thunderbird you are using and what updates have been applied seem all important when it comes to finding a solution to this impasse.

For what it's worth, here are the two Add-ons and if you are to have any luck, the "Fixed" version might be where to start.

wainuitech
06-02-2019, 04:00 PM
For what it's worth, here are the two Add-ons and if you are to have any luck, the "Fixed" version might be where to start.

9343 The top One (fixed) is what I selected, W10, installed and worked As mentioned its Thunderbird 60.5.0 (32-bit) Freshly downloaded and installed today along with the extension.

Have not tried / tested on Linux as the PC is busy doing something else and cant attach the Linux Drive.

B.M.
07-02-2019, 10:01 AM
The top One (fixed) is what I selected, W10, installed and worked As mentioned its Thunderbird 60.5.0 (32-bit) Freshly downloaded and installed today along with the extension.

Have not tried / tested on Linux as the PC is busy doing something else and cant attach the Linux Drive.

Thatís a good result and youíve nominated the OS and version.

The problem I have is a lot of the fixes on the Internet donít nominate the OS and version and it seem they are all quite different.

Iím looking at Mint 18 Cinnamon and Thunderbird ver 60.4.0 but a definitive answer is elusive. :)

I don't have the computer in front of me and I don't think I'll tackle this one with Teamviewer. :D

wainuitech
07-02-2019, 10:37 AM
That’s a good result and you’ve nominated the OS and version.

The problem I have is a lot of the fixes on the Internet don’t nominate the OS and version and it seem they are all quite different.

I’m looking at Mint 18 Cinnamon and Thunderbird ver 60.4.0 but a definitive answer is elusive. :)

I don't have the computer in front of me and I don't think I'll tackle this one with Teamviewer. :D It works the same in Mint 18.3, TB 60.4.0

From the actual theme changer settings:

The first pic is the font set to custom @ 24 the 2nd pic back to its default. If you toggle the pictures back and forth you'll see the fonts are larger in custom. ( full screen shot)