PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 6

18-01-2002, 12:09 PM
Hello all you regulars...

Could I have a quick show of hands regarding the seemingly troublesome IE6?

If you agree with one of the statements below, could you just post the appropriate letter. I'm reluctant to attempt installing it if it's as flakey as some posts here suggest. I'm on Win98 (which is flakey in itself, I reckon.)

Thanks for your input. :-)

A: 'Internet Explorer 6 is worse than 5.x and I reccommend you don't bother with the @#$%*! piece of @#$%*! '

B: 'Internet Explorer 6 is way better than 5.x and I reccommend you install it forthwith!'

C: 'Internet Explorer 6 is no better or worse than 5.x and I don't care one way or t'other!'

18-01-2002, 12:55 PM
No matter what Internet Explorer I've used they've all had problems.

5.0 was bad, 5.5 wasn't as bad and 6 gave me frustrating problems that seem to be fixed by updates otherwise MS has included a self fixing program in it because the problems I was having just disappeared over night. So now I just have to run into other problems.

But I'm ok with 6 now until I run into more problems. I was ok with 5.5 after a few updates... 5.0 let's just say I was glad to go to 5.5

And to clear things up more I run 3 different web browsers (Netscape, I.E, Opera). Sometimes I've got them all viewing the same page just so I can keep an eye on the forum and respond to people.

18-01-2002, 01:19 PM
Thx for the input Kame Krazee .

:-)

18-01-2002, 02:16 PM
I've run IE6 for a few months now - seems stable, no problems so far.

At the end of the day - running too many programs at once and not having the resources to handle all of these programs will show up any problems. The browser may crash, but this may not be the browser's fault.

A friend of mine had a PC that was always playing up... there were 16 icons in the system tray!! (not including the speaker and modem icons). I removed nearly all of these from StartUp and the system is now stable.

J.

18-01-2002, 02:47 PM
Andy,

I have had absolutely no troubles installing or running IE6 on my system. I downloaded the files from the MS site, store them on my computer, and install from them. No trouble at all.

While I don't see much difference in the running of IE6 compared to IE5.5, I prefer the look of the taskbar (once locked) and the added security (I know, you can hardly call it security, but I think you know what I mean... the privacy and cookie functions etc).

Actually, come to think of it, I have had more problems (eg Internet Explorer has performed a fatal error etc) with 5.5 than I've had with IE6 since I installed it, and I've installed it several times now since it was released (due to reformats and new computer etc).

I would recommend IE6 to anybody and would suggest that anyone that does have trouble installing it EITHER doesn't know what they're doing, or has a corrupted file on their computer or something wrong with the install files. Sure Microsoft have regular patches etc. for their software due to security or other reasons, but I don't recall them releasing many programs that didn't work.

Mike.

18-01-2002, 02:50 PM
I upgraded from 5.5 a few months back.

Can't tell the difference.

No crashes.

18-01-2002, 03:09 PM
no probs here with 5.5sp2 or ie6 on any machine i've done.
however i do like this opera 6 ;-)

18-01-2002, 03:52 PM
I have IE6 and have been running it for about 3 months now....I also have netscape and stick to ie6 for browsing. I had no end of trouble installing for a while. I have installed a few programs before and I tried everything I could think of to get it right. I beleive that at one stage there were a few problems with ie6 which are now fixed.....my installation woes fixed themselves magically overnight without anything different being done on my behalf.....at that stage there were also a great number of posts regarding installing ie6 in here as well. It seems to have stabalised now and I have had no errors/failures in the last 2 months of heavy usage.

18-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Been running it for about 3 months now. 'Smooth as a babies bum' No problems whatsoever.

BC

19-01-2002, 07:38 AM
I have been using IE6 for the best part of a year. First the beta and now the version that comes with XP.
I have had absolutely no problems of any sort. For that matter I had no problems with IE5 or 5.5 either.
I have tried Netscape and Opera too.
IMHO they are all much of a muchness. They all do the same thing.I have read complaints about all of them in NG's and quite frankly I can't understand what people are complaining about.
Use them the way the maker intended and you will have no problems.
I have never seen one of them crash. I would love to know what people do to make them crash.
Cheers,
Jack

19-01-2002, 05:59 PM
ummmmmmm.....the videos were purely educational....and it was only out of curiosity that I went to those sites......honest

Snapafun
13-09-2002, 02:16 AM
Once you need to refresh your windows installation a few times (WinMe for instance) you soon learn the problems you cause yourself by not following the installation readme to the letter. The only times I have enjoyed IE6 at its full is when I have rebooted with Selective Startup, having turned off everything before rebooting. The usual form for me is to download the update file and after it attempts to install itself (and always unsuccessfully) I turn off everything in the Start Up menu,( not needed to ensure system running ), of msconfig after the system reboots and now with only the bare essentials running manually, seek out the ie6setup.exe and run it again. (Don't forget to re-visit your msconfig app and re-check those online security requirements before yet again re-booting.)

Another sure fire way to enjoy IE6 straight out of the box is to load it onto a system that has no version of IE on it to start with. ( Yeah, I am still able to do that with my contacts still running IE3 believe it or not.)

Ron Bakker
13-09-2002, 08:19 AM
I have win 98
When I stepped up to to ie6 it was a pain in the arse. so we stepped back to 5.5. But aparently my Canon program(for digital camera)knows how to stir as well, just like it knows how to argue with my scanner program.

bk T
13-09-2002, 10:48 PM
Hi

I've been using IE6 for months now and it is so far so good! :)

bk