PDA

View Full Version : W98 how to auto shutdown & restart

18-01-2002, 11:57 AM
I have a need to run a scheduled (late at night) 'automated' shutdown and restart of a W98 SE PC so that in the morning the PC has rebooted and is 'waiting' at the logon screen. Any thoughts about how - batch file, 3rd party program... - appreceated. I can recall reading a suggested script in PC World mag but cannot locate the item.

18-01-2002, 12:37 PM
To turn on your computer when it's shutdown I remember reading in PC World about the RTC clock. It only had months and days I think.

It should be located in your BIOS may take a while to find it. Set it to what you want. If it only has month and time set the month to 0 (zero) and the time you want it to turn on. That should turn it on daily at that time but there's no way to stop it from turning on when you don't want it unless you change the bios settings back.

Try this in a batch file to be put into your schedule

@echo
START C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\shell32.dll,SHExitWindowsEx 1

it may or may not work

21-01-2002, 04:50 PM
Thanks Kame - I'll try the the suggested shut down script and see how it goes. Have also found a pice of shareware called ShutdownPlus which apparently allows a scehduled restart so will try that also.
Cheers
Nicko