PDA

View Full Version : Too Geforce or Not Too Geforce

18-01-2002, 10:31 AM
Hey All

i don't know if any of you have notice but Nnivia(or wateva they call themselves) seems to have gone overboard with their differnet graphics chipsets and was wondering what sort of card i really need. I would like to be able to play all the latest games in the next few years without too many problems any suggestions or personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

thanx

Specs:

Athlon 1Ghz,
256 Ram,
AGP(of course)
think thats all

18-01-2002, 10:56 AM
You'll get a lot of different opinions about this one!. I think anything from a GeForce 2 MX 400 upwards would be fine - you can get good framerates at 1024x768 32 bit colour on anything currently available. Avoid MX 200 (less memory bandwidth than others)
ordinary GeForce 2 is good. And finally Geforce 3 would be amazing, but so is the price - and I think by the time a Geforce 2 lets you down something even better will be around.

18-01-2002, 10:59 AM
I HAVE A GFORCE 2 GTS PRO 32 DDR RAM FOR Sale if you want for $260.near new will chuck in a few games as well for it kiwibeat@hotmail.com

18-01-2002, 11:33 AM
GeForce4 is in the making at the mo.

JM

18-01-2002, 11:33 AM
thanx for the offer Gordon sounds good but i will have to pass it up because i don't have all the cash yet and am still investigating my options

thanx anyway

18-01-2002, 11:35 AM
The MX cards are strangled GTS versions. Stick with a Geforce 2 GTS with DDR ram and you will not go wrong. If you want a Geforce 3 though then avoid the Ti200 cards (same problem as the MX cards - strangled pipelines!) and go straight to a Ti500 version with DDR ram.

Whatever you do avoid cards using SDRam as its way slower.

18-01-2002, 12:07 PM
Oh where do you start, really depends on your budget. Apparently the GF4 is to be released in the next month or so, hopefully that will bring the price point down a notch. Here goes bang for buck:

GeForce2-MX400 SH Pro 64MB TwinView Dual Display for VGA & TV Tv out for around $220 5.5ns sdram(does hardware transform and lighting but not environment bumpmapping)basically a cut down GF2

GeForce 2 Titanium TH 64MB 4ns DDR TV out for around $320, ranks somewhere between a pro and ultra(does hardware transform and lighting but not environment bumpmapping)

GeForce3 Titanium200T 64MB DDR TV-Out (does hardware transform and lighting and environment bumpmapping)around slower than a normal GF3 but a touch faster than a GF2 $520

GeForce 3 TDH 64MB DDR-RAM (does hardware transform and lighting and environment bumpmapping) around $750

GeForce 3 Titanium 500 TD 64MB 3.8ns DDR-RAM (does hardware transform and lighting and environment bumpmapping) faster than a stock GF3 around $850

and then of course there will be the GF4 which will have a few new tricks up its sleeve.

18-01-2002, 02:34 PM
I have a TNT2 and it has trouble with Windows xp. It get's into an Infinate Loop and locks up the computer. It's a well documented problem with no specific fix and can be replicated with GeForce's and/or Windows 2k. I think it has something to do with ASUS motherboards too.

As for the 1GHz, they are getting on now and new games out such as Max Payne require a 750MHz for medium GFX, so it might not perform for long to come, Unless of course you dont mind running in lower GFX detail modes and lower resolutions.

Hope to help,
Matt

18-01-2002, 07:09 PM
hi Matt,

does your ASUS motherboard use a via chipset? If so VIA have bodged a sort-of-fix into their latest 4 in 1 drivers. There isn't a 100% fix for this problem, but it corrects the problem on a lot of computers. the 23.11 Detontator drivers seem to compliment the updated VIA drivers well.

19-01-2002, 10:14 AM
i want a geforce 3 but can only afford Ti200 would i be better of buying the Gforece 2 GTS or is the gforce 3 better even with the strangled pipe line?