PDA

View Full Version : Installing xp over Windows 10

Krad
22-01-2019, 04:11 PM
My old laptop worked fine with XP and win 7 but now is super slow with Windows 10.
Can I reinstall either XP or Windows 7 so I can use the laptop as it was before.
I still have the original XP installation disc but not the cd for Win 7.

wainuitech
22-01-2019, 04:37 PM
YES.

You can install what ever you want, all you need is the Media and licence key. Wouldn't bother with XP its WAY to old, has many problems these days.

dugimodo
22-01-2019, 06:09 PM
The thing that hurts windows 10 the most is having less than 4GB of RAM so if that's the case you can google tweaks that make it a bit better.
Otrherwise I agree with Wainui, go for 7 and reinstall that. XP takes a very long to to update and is problematic these days.

Krad
22-01-2019, 08:03 PM
The thing that hurts windows 10 the most is having less than 4GB of RAM so if that's the case you can google tweaks that make it a bit better.
Otrherwise I agree with Wainui, go for 7 and reinstall that. XP takes a very long to to update and is problematic these days.

Thanks for that.
Is there a way to get back to Win 7 without the cd and key?

Bryan
22-01-2019, 08:21 PM
Did you uninstall XP & 7? Do you still have Windows.old on C:/? How long ago did you install Win10? Do you have a backup, even if old, of Win7 somewhere?

Krad
23-01-2019, 07:54 PM
I used the free upgrade to Windows 10. Windows.old is not on the laptop. I don't have a cd for Win 7. All I have is the XP disc and I would be happy to get it back as all I want to use this laptop for is to stream Youtube to the tv. I can do it at present bui it is so so slow, with only 2 gb memory and a 160 gb hard drive. It is not worth spending money on as it is not my main pc. Would reinstallinfg XP make sense as Win 7 seems to be out?

Bryan
23-01-2019, 10:00 PM
I don't know much about Linux. But, if you were to download a copy of Mint 18 you should be able to do what you want to. You would need to check it out but I think it would use VLC to play and or stream from YouTube. You wouldn't then need to load XP or W7. You could copy Mint to a CD and use it to boot the system until you understand it. If you like it, you could put it permanently on the laptop.

dugimodo
23-01-2019, 10:20 PM
Linux will do it, but you'd probably want one of the lighter distros if your hardware struggles with windows 10.
The MINT XFCE version might do, and has the bonus of looking a bit like XP.

But I'm not a Linux guru, there are others that can advise you better if you want to go that way.

gary67
24-01-2019, 06:39 AM
Linux lite would probably do what you want or Puppy

Krad
24-01-2019, 09:25 AM
No problem with internet connection.

24-01-2019, 12:21 PM
all I want to use this laptop for is to stream Youtube to the tv......
Would reinstalling XP make sense as Win 7 seems to be out?

Both my media PC's run XP.
If thats all its for, why not re-install XP.
Not sure how you streamed YT to the TV, is XP still compatible with how you were doing it ?

How long has Win10 been on it, you can roll back to Win7 within 1 month
Otherwise , extract the install key from Win & use that to install Win7

Or just go back to XP. Win7 is end of life in 12months anyway .