PDA

View Full Version : Cloud Storage?

lostsoul62
17-01-2019, 02:09 AM
I don't get cloud storage? I have a network drive I share with my 2 computers with a rj45 into my router. I don't store anything on the Internet. So I want to buy another network drive because mine is getter old but every time I see one they mention Cloud which has no meaning to me and really don't understand it. I wanted a WD Hard Drive that I can use as a network drive between my two computer and hook up the USB3 to one of my computers but to find out you can only input on the USB3 and can't use the USB3 as you would an external drive which make no since to me?

wratterus
17-01-2019, 07:12 AM
It sounds like you just want a NAS? Synology are great - assuming you want a 2 bay, have a look at a DS218j.

17-01-2019, 07:39 AM
"Cloud" is just a marketing buzzword. Even some NAS's mention Cloud in the marketing .

The bottom line is how much do you want to spend
Also consider how you will backup your NAS , yes a NAS does need a backup.
The better NAS's have a USB port, to attatch a USB drive for automated backups. Some NAS's can automatically backup to the cloud.

If you want cheapest, single drive , the WD NAS's are OK.
https://www.wd.com/products/personal-cloud-storage/my-cloud.html

If you can pay a bit more, get a 2 drive NAS . Often you have to buy the internal drives separately & fit them

dugimodo
17-01-2019, 10:06 AM
The cloud is just a name for the internet in general and refers to the way these type of networks are often drawn in diagrams - as a cloud with connections coming out at any point.

Cloud storage is just storage somewhere on the internet on a server. Services like dropbox, onedrive, google drive, are all cloud storage.

USB3 drives can be used as an external hard drive, not sure what you are meaning there.

paulw
17-01-2019, 10:56 AM
I don't get cloud storage? I have a network drive I share with my 2 computers with a rj45 into my router. I don't store anything on the Internet. So I want to buy another network drive because mine is getter old but every time I see one they mention Cloud which has no meaning to me and really don't understand it. I wanted a WD Hard Drive that I can use as a network drive between my two computer and hook up the USB3 to one of my computers but to find out you can only input on the USB3 and can't use the USB3 as you would an external drive which make no since to me?

You don't have to use cloud storage but if you only have it on a local storage or PC and your house burns down it's all lost but if you have it stored online it will be there next time you run up a new PC. I use Google Drive and Dropbox to store my stuff on.