PDA

View Full Version : That Ol' RTL8811AU Driver Again ---

SurferJoe46
03-01-2019, 08:37 PM
I think I got the CentOS gods mad at me again --- and it says that I have been reported.

I don't know to WHOM or WHERE I've been reported to - but every time I try to use sudo apt, etc.... I get reported.

Now - I think that's not fair - after all I DID INSTALL CentOS and now it's mine - right!

Right about now - and right UP FRONT I can say this: I've got the RTL8811AU installation disk. It gives me a Linux installer - and I extract it and --- then what?????

Now -- I KNOW I've done this before and prolly asked the same questions - but that was 'way back in Mint and other flavors and distros.
I'm all happy and settled HERE (this machine) with Mint 'n all - but my experimentation in CentOS is a bit unnerving, to say the least. It IS running all well-n-good on my Wsky dongle, but I need that Alfa unit for my Raspberry Pi - until I can make the Pi run on the RTL8811AU - much later - but it works - hell, EVERYTHING works on the Alfa/Wsky dongle! I should buy a half dozen MORE of them - right?

Like HELL I will!

I want to run the RTL8811AU on CentOS.

Now - it looks like I've gotta go out and install sumpthing called a VSS - and I'm downloading that as we speak (it's going on the CentOS distro/'puter).

Once I've got that installed - what in the world is that for anyway? Will this keep me from getting yelled at by CentOS and get reported every time I use 'sudo---"?

I've been on https;// - etc and isn't that good enuff?

Does the 'V' stand for 'virtual' or not?

When are one of youse guys gonna come to Montana and fix this for me?

Huh?

I've got a spare bedroom and I've got an Australian in the neighborhood who says it's not a bad bedroom - and my wife cooks real gud.

The dog won't mind - and the cat died so you can forget about THAT problem - we called the cat: "Slash". Know what I mean?

I've even got some of that super nasty black salty paste that youse guys eat on your ice cream and in your coffee.

Yuck - but if youse guys LIKE it ---- well, who am I to call that strange?

Not me!

I'd rather suck on the tailpipe on the south end of a north-bound skunk - but, what the hey! Live and let live I always say.

C'mon --- who's coming?

Don't push and shove - there'll be other times for a visit.... this'll be a working vacation --- er: Working Holiday for one of youse fortunate winners!

wainuitech
03-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Boy oh boy - who did you piss off :lol:

As mentioned in another post CentOS is NOT Mint, so some commands used in Mint will not work in other Distros. Cent OS uses yum

For example if you wanted to check CentOS for updates you would use yum check-update

Have a read of this, may save some heartache https://www.digitalocean.com/community/tutorials/package-management-basics-apt-yum-dnf-pkg

One that will also be helpful,in a terminal man yum

SurferJoe46
03-01-2019, 09:44 PM
'YUM' like in 'tastes good' ????

PK - new lingo --- I'll try it when the sun comes up tomorrow.

It's 01:43 (that's AM, not PM!) here.

I'm saving and locking this tab and leaving this 'puter ON over the next few hours of sleep.

Don't play with the windshield wipers - OK?

wainuitech
03-01-2019, 09:45 PM
'

Don't play with the windshield wipers - OK? Spoil Sport :D

SurferJoe46
03-01-2019, 09:48 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzzzzzzz,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,.............................. ... .