PDA

View Full Version : System Monitor: Not using any swapfile ???

18-01-2002, 01:00 AM
Have been running System Monitor for a couple of hours now and it says 'Swap File in use: Last Value-0, Peak Value-0' Is that normal? What does that mean?

Which add in item shows the peak value etc of ram used? I thought this might tell me if my 256mb was enough.

A laymans explanation of the add items would be helpful.

Cheers.

18-01-2002, 04:17 AM
Mr Graeme...i have seen your posts and it seems you like tweaking your pc more and poking around asking this and that.

If you can type in your word and print it and surf the net without having the pc crashing, i suggest you stop all this system monitoring and defrag every second day. Trust me your PC is in good health! And without anymore tweaks and poking around it will run even better!! :)

18-01-2002, 07:39 AM
Hello Graeme, It means your system is working just fine. Zero swap file is the ideal to aim for, since it means you are using ram as it was intended, and not the hard drive as a slow substitute.

The swap file concept was devised not long after when Bill Gates thought that 1MB would be more than enough for anyone!
The Explain button in System monitor should tell you briefly what you want to know.

Cheers, never give up on the tweaking :)

18-01-2002, 07:50 AM
Thanx for your concern someone.

I just like to keep everything running as good as it can get. Besides, the more I poke, the more I learn and the more questions I can answer in the postings. To me thats a win - win situation. If you used your real name, I might be able to help you with a problem one day.

You have a nice day too. :-)

18-01-2002, 10:15 AM
Windows 98, no matter how much ram you have, always prefers to use the swapfile first before using up your memory. Now we all know that ram is much faster than virtual memory.

Back in the days of Windows 95 the system would use all available memory before reverting to the swapfile. In practise this is much faster than the windows 98 way.

You can however overide this setting in windows 98 by adding the following to the [386Enh] section of your system.ini file.

ConservativeSwapfileUsage=1

I would only recommend doing this if you have 128Mb or more of ram.

After rebooting you should notice an improvment in your overall system speed.

Getting back to Greame's orginal post, it appears that he has enabled this tweak without knowing what it does.