PDA

View Full Version : CentOS Is Running ........ And ...........

SurferJoe46
29-12-2018, 07:59 AM
It is running well ---- lets me tell youse!

On fire-up this AM - the usual password and operator questions.... all well-n-good.

The splashes seemed to be a little long - time-wise - and there seemed to be quite a few more than necessary ---- but when I move around on the desktop, it's very fast.

All my Google stuff - and there's a lot of it - are ALL sync'd up and I can see that even my tablet sites are in the Google Home Page listings too.

My passwords migrated over too! How's that for nice!?! Huh!?!

I got my notices from last night that I didn't sign-off, and they came in as reminders here, in that I still needed to do more than just dismiss them with a screen wipe on my tablet. That's also good!

I guess I somehow have to join some sort of elitist club to get to use 'sudo' in my terminal - that's kinds news to me!

Here I am, running CentOS posting this to youse guys...yipee! I notice that the spellclunker here needs to be educated though --- all over again!

The clock is right - and it seems that my settings are all OK--- so far.

Am I wrong in just saying that if I use CentOS for this sortta yeoman's work, that I am miss-using it somehow?

There MAY BE some angry elitists reading this who are gonna hate me for it - but it 'feels' lighter than Mint and certainly a LOT lighter than Ubuntu Studio!

Fer sure! --- so I want to use it this way --- OK?

There are a few things I want to fine-tune yet - but that's for another post --- I'm just celebrating that I got it running! (I promise to NOT post my 'Happy Happy Happy' again!

I am impre-ss-ed with this distro.

Please don't hate me - whomever you are - for using a 'sudo' command yesterday! :eek:

I didn't know I needed permission to do it! Honestly! :wub

wainuitech
29-12-2018, 11:14 AM
Am I wrong in just saying that if I use CentOS for this sortta yeoman's work, that I am miss-using it somehow? No, not miss-using it, CentOS wears many hats ( in fact is related to Red Hat Enterprise Linux)

CentOS can do many tasks, from Servers, to Workstations, Desktops. If you ever look at Businesses that use Linux, its mostly CentOS or other enterprise class software, not so much Mint versions for example. Cent OS,you have to configure it to do what you want , (as experienced the first time with no GUI), one example is the comment relating to speed, it installs what you tell it along with what tasks/Programs, that's why there's several versions from minimum to full, that's why Mint is popular with newbes, it does many things for you.

SurferJoe46
29-12-2018, 01:31 PM
Well --- I've barely gotten my feet wet with Mint (which I am using here right now) and I just wanted to see what other distros had in store for me.

Can you explain for me what 'Enterprise Edition" or "Enterprise Class Software" actually means? If it means "Enterprise" as in a business enterprise, then I am not in that category.

As I see it - I need to make some adjustments to CentOS - like to not shut the screen off when it sits quiet for a period of time. I'd like it to not turn off the hdd for an hour and the screen, never.

I need to decrease the size of the icons on the desktop too..... later for that too.

I added a Selliers & Bellot desktop screens (HERE) (https://www.sellier-bellot.cz/en/company/download/) and they are running just fine too. That's a Czechoslovakian website, so your security may toss a hissy. Click through it - it's safe - I promise!

I'll tool around in the settings area later on this evening - long after youse guys day is begun - and a Saturday at that. I don't expect youse to stick around and not sleep. I will, however, need a little help - maybe.

Oh - guess what.... my wife had some of that Marmite stuff on her toast this morning for breakfast. I had to leave the dining room and retire to my bedroom with my oatmeal, coffee and pear juice.

Gack! How do youse guys even get near enuff to that jar to actually open it? She had Bermuda onion slices, tomato and peanut butter on it too.

I almost barfed a little in my mouth just to type that.

wainuitech
29-12-2018, 04:35 PM
Have a read as to what Enterprise software is. As mentioned CentOS is a LOT more custom-able & used in businesses than OS's like Mint.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enterprise_software

SurferJoe46
29-12-2018, 06:27 PM
Some heavy reading there friend!

I'll tackle some of that tonight when I'm curled up in my blankets and listening to Pithos on this 'puter (the Mint one).

I still want to know how to install Pithos on my CentOS machine.

Whatever repository it resides in, I do NOT want to use the 'sudo' command ever again in CentOS!

................. not and risk getting yelled at again, anyway!

wainuitech
29-12-2018, 07:00 PM
I still want to know how to install Pithos on my CentOS machine. You'll have to excuse me if some of this sounds funny ;) SWMBO has been mixing Bourbon and Coke, as time goes by, the Bourbon gets more ;)

Any howsssssss allI did was go to https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.github.Pithos

Clicked on the setup Guide

Then on the CentOS Icon, Then the whooping great Flathub Repository File ( weeeee no typo,not bad for the sate Im in LOL) Went looking for my computer glassesa minute ago, SWMBO said you're wearing tehm you idiot -- Oh yeah. :o

Once installed, went back to original page https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.github.Pithos hit install, and away it went, did its thing, on opening asked for Pandora log-in ( of course being in the USA it worked) ;)

THAT was it, no Sudo , youdo or what ever do you want, just no DO-DO's :lol::lol:

SurferJoe46
29-12-2018, 07:31 PM
I found this :

Pithos is an excellent Pandora Radio Client (only available in United States, Australia and New Zealand) for Linux that natively integrates with various desktop features including the sound menu, media keys, and notifications. It has a minimal UI and easily accessible control options.

The latest 1.3 update came with mostly bug fixes and performance & feature improvements including an improved station search list, accessibility, and buffering behavior.

The update also added support for MPRIS TrackList and PlayList interface, the ability to dynamically rate tracks, and style cover icons using theme colors.

“Pithos” originates from the same Greek word which was erroneously translated as “box“, and according to the dev team, “a flash applet is a mistranslation to the Linux platform”.

Somehow -- just SOMEhow - I bet that I can find you in New Zealand somewhere - right?

wainuitech
29-12-2018, 07:49 PM
I found this :

Somehow -- just SOMEhow - I bet that I can find you in New Zealand somewhere - right?

Wouldn't be to hard, BUT ---- Have you thought:

Bet ya looked to :lol::lol:

kiotimak
30-12-2018, 07:49 AM
Wouldn't be to hard, BUT ---- Have you thought:

Bet ya looked to :lol::lol:

chuckle :devil

SurferJoe46
03-01-2019, 09:05 PM
LATE BULLETIN:

Pithos is running well on Centos.

There are, however, a few other problems with which I shall regale you. Later.