PDA

View Full Version : I Screwed Up Centos --- urgh!

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 04:34 PM
Here's what I got and did....................

Fresh install - fresh distro of Centos.
64 bit machine - all well and good until tried to reboot as the final part of the post-install instructions told me to................

During the installation...... I did NOT set a USERNAME, just a password.

This maybe --- couldda --- mightta --- somehow --- be a mistake....

.........but I did the same thing to THIS 'puter running Mint - I set NO username, just a password and it runs just fine - only asking for a password once in a while..............right?

I thought so.

OK - back to my Centos problem-o ------> and I tried to just enter "root" and I hit ENTER and get this:
[root@localhost ~]#

..... and a blinking cursor.... one space away from the pound sign........

What does it WANT!?!?!

What do I do now?

wainuitech
26-12-2018, 05:49 PM
For starters, CentOS is NOT MINT. Its an enterprise-class OS, NOT a noob OS like mint :)

What will have happened is you didn't tell it to install the GUI version during install, so its installed in its default which is command prompt. Had that happen the first time I tried CentOS as well. Since I was only having a play ( learning it) and it was on a VM, I simply wiped it and restarted. The minimal is not what you want.

You can try these : https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/181503/how-to-install-desktop-environments-on-centos-7

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 05:51 PM
Got a video on what it does --- ahem!

https://youtu.be/8DMLTAQuwg0

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 05:53 PM
For starters, CentOS is NOT MINT. Its an enterprise-class OS, NOT a noob OS like mint :) (OK - I am thoroughly spanked)

What will have happened is you didn't tell it to install the GUI version during install, so its installed in its default which is command prompt. Had that happen the first time I tried CentOS as well.

How can I fix it? Is it a burn it down and do it over again?

wainuitech
26-12-2018, 06:05 PM
To show what I mean, just reinstalled CentOS, by default it loads the basic version, unless you clcik on Software during software, then select one of the two GUI's you only get Command Prompt. There are lots of things you can configure and its easier during setting up.

By changing the selection on the left also changes the additional options on the Right hand window, CentOS is Very powerful and many uses (including servers etc)

The link in previous post describes how to install the GUI afterwards, never tried it as I simply dumped the VM and started again.

wainuitech
26-12-2018, 07:21 PM
The following may be of interest as well.

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/centos-how-tos/install-gnome-gui-on-centos-7-rhel-7.html

And here's the default GUI for Gnome. :) (its Running in a VM/Hyper-V on Windows 10.)

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 07:30 PM
To show what I mean, just reinstalled CentOS, by default it loads the basic version, unless you clcik on Software during software, then select one of the two GUI's you only get Command Prompt. There are lots of things you can configure and its easier during setting up.
<snip>
By changing the selection on the left also changes the additional options on the Right hand window, CentOS is Very powerful and many uses (including servers etc)
<snippity-snip>
The link in previous post describes how to install the GUI afterwards, never tried it as I simply dumped the VM and started again.

Urgrle!

I think I see what happened - I was having a bad time getting it to install and I chose to use (some other?) hardcase mode to get it in. The installation gui actually suggested that I use "it" if I was having troubles getting Centos to install.

I'll go back and clean the hdd with G-Parted and try again.

Let me have another run at it - but this intrigues me: "by default it loads the basic version, unless you clcik (sic) on Software during software, then select one of the two GUI's you only get Command Prompt."

I bet that I'm gonna get poo'd on by my WiFi USB adapter again - huh? So-o-o --- does I DO the Software installations or does I do NOT?

AND -- do I actually need a USER? I use the same password for all my latest trials and tribulations - so there's NO messing THAT up at least! I fear not using the same silly password, since there's never anyone else in this room and if they were in here - I don't have any fear of anything they could find on my 'puter - even IF there was anything interesting - except for present company, that is!

Youse guys is great.

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 07:32 PM
The following may be of interest as well.

https://www.itzgeek.com/how-tos/linux/centos-how-tos/install-gnome-gui-on-centos-7-rhel-7.html

And here's the default GUI for Gnome. :) (its Running in a VM/Hyper-V on Windows 10.)

Yeah - that's right! Go on and tease me with your successes!

Mom always loved you best - you got a dog and all I got was a pet chicken!

wainuitech
26-12-2018, 08:19 PM
I bet that I'm gonna get poo'd on by my WiFi USB adapter again - huh? So-o-o --- does I DO the Software installations or does I do NOT?
In the software Setup window when installing there's a Network Option, you can configure your Internet there.

DONT bypass all the options in that setup window, other wise it installs minimum to operate. May also depend on what Version you downloaded, if its only the minimal the options may not be there.

As mentioned before, its NOT mint so dont treat it as such.

Looking at your Video, its shows in Brackets (Core) That's the minimal only so what you are getting is whats been installed.

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 08:36 PM
Having troubles getting to that install GUI again - but I'm working on it. I did it before and I'll do it again - and I DO remember not adding any extras to the original installation. That was my bad.

The root was being accepted as well as my password. Whaddyaknow!

Whodathunkit!

BUT - I did find that I was logging in all along! It just wasn't recognizable by me that I was there - of course, not in a GUI.

BTW: how do I make an installation of a driver from the cd-rom? I believe I need to get the WiFi driver installed to get to the repositories ---> Right?

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 08:39 PM
In the software Setup window when installing there's a Network Option, you can configure your Internet there.

I remember that at that option, it told me there was no internet hardware installed* - so as I've seen THAT before, I figgered I could just install it later.

* it was - I had it plugged into the rear USB holes, not the front of the tower ones.

But with NO WiFi, there's no repositories either. Screwed --- huh!?!

I may have to break out my Alpha Unit - it works on EVERYthing.

Rod J
26-12-2018, 08:40 PM
Urgrle!
AND -- do I actually need a USER? I use the same password for all my latest trials and tribulations - so there's NO messing THAT up at least! I fear not using the same silly password, since there's never anyone else in this room and if they were in here - I don't have any fear of anything they could find on my 'puter - even IF there was anything interesting - except for present company, that is!

Youse guys is great.

Yeah, you need to have at least one normal user account in Linux. You really shouldn't be "root" all the time as it makes the system less secure and more easily borked if you make a mistake. I think Windows does the same.

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 09:41 PM
Wow!

I just plugged in the Alpha Unit and everything's starting to come together. I've got dependencies being investigated and I guess repositories are being assigned - etc.

That Alpha Unit is the best I've ever found. I WANT to use my other Wisky USB-WiFi sticks - but Linux doesn't seem to like them - for the most part!

Linux Mint ran with it from the get-go though. That's the Wisky Unit, not the Alpha Unit.

I've gotta get another Wisky. Even my Raspberry Pi likes the Alpha and won't run on the Wisky. Go figger.

Well -- lessee where this goes - I'm tired and sleep beckons.

Rod J
26-12-2018, 09:46 PM
Did you get a desktop gui installed yet or are you still working from the command line? If you aren't sure if there is a desktop installed try "startx" from the prompt.

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 10:06 PM
I think it got a whole slug of updates and the extras I asked for and now it's installing them.

This'll take a bit of time and I may just leave it until morning and see what happened for the remainder of the night.

I'm sure it can wait patiently for me - after all - I am an APEX consumer!

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 10:09 PM
I am sure that I got the gui to run for me - I opted for the Gnome desktop and it brightened up all the options and I took a few - well ---> more than a few really.

Do I really need the Card-thing? I got it anyway.

This is all because of the Alpha Unit - phewee!

SurferJoe46
26-12-2018, 10:12 PM
I believe that I'd like to be able to add the drivers that I have on a mini-disc for the Wisky Unit. I believe that IF I don't try to add new kernals or update to Beta Tester or something goofier than I normally do - I should be able to get it up-n-running in maybe just a half-dozen tries or so.

I'll need to learn the syntax for this new system - YUM seems to be something about which I need to contend.

Rod J
26-12-2018, 10:28 PM
Yum ... yeah, I've heard of it but have no knowledge about it. It's another package manager I believe using the RPM package system. CentOS is certainly an enterprise version of Linux as Wainui mentioned. I'm just looking at the Distrowatch page for it now: https://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=centos

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 06:36 AM
OK --- Happy! Happy! Happy!

I'm in and running on CentOS.

It sure took a long time to get and install all the updates - plus I deleted all the HP stuff sine I don't have a Hewlet Packard anything. Just Canon.... which I KNOW is problematic for a L-based system.

OK - is there a way to run Pithos on CentOS?

Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! Happy! ....er: Happy! Happy! Happy!

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 06:40 AM
OK - I went to get Pithos downloaded and installed - and CentOS is very chatty and uses a LOT of my Alpha WiFi...

but.... I've got this happened:

[jvreeland@localhost ~]$ flatpak remote-add flathub https://flathub.org/repo/flathub.flatpakrepo
[jvreeland@localhost ~]$ flatpak install flathub io.github.Pithos
Required runtime for io.github.Pithos/x86_64/stable (org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.30) is not installed, searching...
Found in remote flathub, do you want to install it? [y/n]: y
Installing: org.gnome.Platform/x86_64/3.30 from flathub

10 delta parts, 101 loose fetched; 298371 KiB transferred in 443 seconds Installing: org.gnome.Platform.Locale/x86_64/3.30 from flathub

6 metadata, 1 content objects fetched; 18 KiB transferred in 11 seconds
Installing: org.freedesktop.Platform.html5-codecs/x86_64/18.08 from flathub

1 delta parts, 3 loose fetched; 2471 KiB transferred in 11 seconds Installing: io.github.Pithos/x86_64/stable from flathub

1 delta parts, 2 loose fetched; 440 KiB transferred in 14 seconds [jvreeland@localhost ~]$ sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic build-essential git

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for jvreeland:
jvreeland is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
[jvreeland@localhost ~]$

So --- what happened here?

wainuitech
27-12-2018, 11:22 AM
Just tried installing, failed the first time, so thought OK read the instructions From https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.github.Pithos

Clicked on the Centros Icon, had to install Flathub thats there, (A Message came up saying not available but it installed anyway) once installed it failed to install Pithos at first, so went back to the original page and retried, this time it went in (took a while).

On Opening wanted a login details (which I dont have) so thats that I Guess :)

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Just tried installing, failed the first time, so thought OK read the instructions From https://flathub.org/apps/details/io.github.Pithos

Clicked on the Centros Icon, had to install Flathub thats there, (A Message came up saying not available but it installed anyway) once installed it failed to install Pithos at first, so went back to the original page and retried, this time it went in (took a while).

On Opening wanted a login details (which I dont have) so thats that I Guess :)

You got all the way to the sign-on for Pithos ? right? ----> but it's the same sign-on you would normally use for Pandora.

If you use your Pandora sign-on, you'll get to use Pithos with no advertisements nor those pregnant pauses that ask if you are still there (here, actually) and it won't bother trying to confirm if there's an audience or not.

Kewl - huh? No more nagging you and inserting advertisements and stopping to make sure you didn't die whilst listening to it - like Pandora does.

Pithos insists that you actually have a Pandora account - that's the only hang-up - but there's no penalty for using Pithos no matter if you never go to Pandora again.

What I AM concerned over is the last two lines on that message I got from someone - someone whom I never knew exists nor want to hear from again. I don't know what got that guy all riled up about me trying to install my Wisky driver - and I think it was using the sudo command - something in sudo got him all mad at me:

We trust you have received the usual lecture from the local System
Administrator. It usually boils down to these three things:

#1) Respect the privacy of others.
#2) Think before you type.
#3) With great power comes great responsibility.

[sudo] password for jvreeland:
jvreeland is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.
[jvreeland@localhost ~]$

What happened here?

Whom did I insult and is he coming to my door to break my knees or not?

Is 'sudo' a forbidden command for me to use?

I meant no harm - now I'm reported to --er: someone.

Should I sleep with my Glock? :confused:

wainuitech
27-12-2018, 02:20 PM
Well I'm stuffed :D

You got all the way to the sign-on for Pithos ? right? ----> but it's the same sign-on you would normally use for Pandora.
Dont have a Pandora account either.

Wasn't Pandora the name of the planet in Movie Avatar ;)

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 02:54 PM
Well I'm stuffed :D

Dont have a Pandora account either.

Wasn't Pandora the name of the planet in Movie Avatar ;)

Pandora is free. There is a paid-special person version, but I don't have it and the free account qualifies.

You can get Pandora on a cellphone or a tablet or Windows or --- heck fire - it's easy --- unless..........

............(unless).......................

............................(unless).............

.................................................. ..............(wait for it) ...............................

....................youse guys can't get it in Upsidedown Land 'cause it won't run inverted.

....... and yes -----> I got it all running with a hdd GParted scrub and a re-installation.

I still want to know why that guy's mad at me and told someone else................... there's too many 'elses' there on that CentOS distro.

What the hell did I do?

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 03:24 PM
..... AND -----> every time I make a post here on F1 - I get an email notification that there's a new post - but it's MINE!

Is there something I'm missing

Me: Linux/Mint - not the CentOS distro.

wainuitech
27-12-2018, 04:06 PM
youse guys can't get it in Upsidedown Land 'cause it won't run inverted.
Its geoblocked, but that's what VPN's are for ;)

I'm actually in the red area -- Believe me ?? :nerd:

Pandora is free. There is a paid-special person version, but I don't have it and the free account qualifies. See what you mean, oh well American ads are OK for a while I guess ;)

Notifications = Up top Right - Settings>General Settings ( on the left) Scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode: Have a look around those, something is selected.

I still want to know why that guy's mad at me and told someone else................... there's too many 'elses' there on that CentOS distro.

What the hell did I do?

Where do we start :p

You guys spell and talk funny, mom should be Mum

Aluminum the way its pronounced.

AND worst of all Trump ( enough of that)

ONLY KIDDING :D apart from T

SurferJoe46
27-12-2018, 04:43 PM
@wainuitech

Its geoblocked, but that's what VPN's are for ;)

I'm actually in the red area -- Believe me ?? :nerd:

Yeah --- I drove past your house the other day. You're still in Zip Code 90505 - right? I thought so.

I waved at your mom as she was washing her aluminum pans and dishes in the kitchen window.

See what you mean, oh well American ads are OK for a while I guess ;)

Don't listen to that stuff --- it'll rot your brain. Instead just load up Pithos when you're on a L-based distro and you'll carry over your first 'radio stations' you loaded in Pandora.

Pandora will assign --- by random --- one of your radio stations you set up as a default start-up station. It'll come on every time you fire up Pandora or Pithos - but just for the first few times as you add more stations by your favorite singers/bands/criminals, etc.

You can change the default station in Pithos though. If you check out the 'Manage Stations" drop down, you will see one check-mark on one of your stations. That is the DEFAULT STATION and it will populate the station with suggestions as you either approve by not tossing them off, or it will delete them as you either BAN or REMOVE them. Either way.

You CAN have more than one default stations - as many as you like, but beware that both Pithos and Pandora will just scramble the order of the music to it's own liking and woon't offer you a chance to set up the order of play.

You can however ---> MANAGE STATIONS and add/delete stations as you like them; it'll fill in suggested bands/singers, etc and you can always dislike any song or ban it - your choice. This is available in both Pandora and Pithos.

Here's a good thing - you get a certain limited number of blocks or deletes or bans on Pandora - but I have never suffered such a limit on Pithos... yet. That is usually for the Pandora Premium Users - not just the usual freebie people like you and me! Hah!

Once you are at ease running Pandora (start that soon for your own reasons) and you jump to and start running Pithos - you'll carry over the stations you've already set up - but just that one time like I said.

If when you are on Pithon - you'll not be influenced by Pandora nor will Pandora be influenced by Pithos from that point on. IOW: you'll have two distinctly different setups for them. From that point they don't sync with each other. Nope.

Notifications = Up top Right - Settings>General Settings ( on the left) Scroll down to Default Thread Subscription Mode: Have a look around those, something is selected.

Like I said - just use the typical free version and don't pay money for using the pro version - and besides, you'll be outed by sending Penguin Money to Pandora. They'll know!

The 'selected' default is just - like I said - the single station that Pandora will assign to you if you don't chose one fer urself! Don't worry --> it means naught since in Pithos you can change anything you want.

This isn't rocket surgery here! If you can install and run CentOS and spank me for my un-abilities - you are more than able to run Pithos!

Trust me - I know what I'm speaking of here.

Where do we start :p

You guys spell and talk funny, mom should be Mum

Aluminum the way its pronounced.

AND worst of all Trump ( enough of that)

ONLY KIDDING :D apart from T

With that logic then, "Bomb" should be pronounced "Bum"?

Where does youse guys get "al - you - min - eee - yum" outta 'aluminum? Huh?

wainuitech
27-12-2018, 05:11 PM
Those instructions were relating to the request /Statement
AND -----> every time I make a post here on F1 - I get an email notification that there's a new post - but it's MINE!