PDA

View Full Version : Broadband connection with 5 GHz

rimutaka
26-12-2018, 12:53 PM
Hi,

I am using a vodafone broadband, Fibre X 200, where it has two type of frequency 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz.

I have noticed that many times my laptop (ASUS ROG) didn't have a stable connection, especially with a frequency 5 GHz. Frequently, after several hours its connection changed to 2.4 GHz by itself and I have to restart a router to get a frequency 5 GHz back again.

This problem happened only to my laptop and didn't affect my other gadgets e.g. mobile, tablet (they can connect all the time with frequency 5 GHz)

Does anyone know the cause of this problem?

Regards,

wainuitech
26-12-2018, 02:09 PM
You may have a interference problem. Your own other devices may be kicking the laptop out.
To Quote from Vodafones site :

The 5GHz band isn’t so prone to interference, mainly because there are fewer 5GHz devices around.

The Vodafone Broadband router contains clever technology which automatically switches to the channel with the least interference.

Try disconnecting the Other devices completely, then see if the laptop still wants to change to 2.4.

The router may also be to far away from the Laptop, again to Quote:

5GHz provides faster data rates over a shorter distance, where 2.4GHz offers greater coverage, but may perform at slower speeds.

SOURCE - maximise-your-wi-fi (http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/26693/~/maximise-your-wi-fi)

Also -- Fix Wi-Fi Connections (http://help.vodafone.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/26695/related/1) Wireless Drops frequently

If the 5G is on the edge it may very well automatically change to the stronger signal especially if other devices are fighting for the 5G.

Speedy Gonzales
26-12-2018, 07:15 PM
The same thing happened about 2-3 weeks ago with this VF Ultra hub. It was fine after VF replaced the crap HG659 with the Ultra hub

After updating the firmware on this it's been fine. But, (on this modem anyway) the phone decided to stop working as well. It took 1 1/2 days for VF to fix it. I dont think the FW update caused it tho

But when the 5 GHZ decided to disappear / disconnect on this, everything that used it reverted back to 2.4 (the tablet, the 3 computers, and the Xbox)

zqwerty
26-12-2018, 08:00 PM
5Ghz is for equipment that is closer to the router, defaulting to 2.4Ghz as equipment is moved further away from the router.

ie 5Ghz is shorter range but faster than 2.4Ghz.

Speedy Gonzales
29-12-2018, 11:49 PM
Decided this ultra hub is stuffed. VF will replace it. Hopefully, the 5 GHZ works properly after that