PDA

View Full Version : Need Geek Translation - Linux

SurferJoe46
21-12-2018, 10:48 AM
I got this error message:

E:Encountered a section with no Package: header, E:Problem with MergeList /var/lib/apt/lists/ny-mirrors.evowise.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty_restricted _i18n_Translation-en%%5fUS, E:The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

Can any one tell me in The King's English what this means?

I think it's just saying that I'm not getting updates because I haven't installed new kernals --- which I am not want to do.

The last time I allowed the installation of new kernals, I lost my WiFi and other peripherals so I stay away from that option.

I dumped all the repositories I had, rebooted without them and then reset them again - still no good results.

Is that "E" in the error message related to my E-drive? I don't believe so since Linux doesn't call them by letters - I think not anyway.

I'm of the opinion that I do not want what is bolloxed-up here. If that is so, can I turn OFF these messages? They just clutter up my dashboard.

SurferJoe46
21-12-2018, 10:52 AM
TOO LATE TO EDIT - THE CLOCK TICKET-ITHED.

Just in case you need this:

piroska
21-12-2018, 11:33 AM
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf

The first command will remove the damaged list and when you run the second command it will replace it with a new list.

sudo apt-get update

SurferJoe46
21-12-2018, 11:43 AM
sudo rm /var/lib/apt/lists/* -vf

The first command will remove the damaged list and when you run the second command it will replace it with a new list.

sudo apt-get update

Going there now - thanks.

Oooops! I've got to leave for a few hours after I shave and shower - but I'll be back ASAP.

I'll reopen this post on the tablet first and save it for eternity than I'll execute that line. Again, thanks.

SurferJoe46
21-12-2018, 01:11 PM
@ piroska ---> thanks - it's clean now.

SurferJoe46
21-12-2018, 02:14 PM
Why does this happen all the time?
Am I having connection problems?
Could it be a broken update that gets destroyed when the connex is lost momentarily?

Kame
22-12-2018, 01:50 AM
It happens quite often. It is just the downside of using mirrors and catching them in the process of syncing with the official repository.

I don't believe you're having connection problems, you probably could tell if you frequently get issues with browsing sites and they aren't available.

You haven't quite got to the updating of packages just yet, what it is doing is grabbing a file that lists all the packages it has but this file it grabbed was either blank, incorrect or not what it expected. Normally this is when you catch a mirror half way in the process of syncing, because it needs to sync all the packages first before it can generate this file, so until the sync is finished that file will be incorrect or non existent.

Normally in these situations you can change the mirror to an alternative and then refresh the index file or just wait it out till the sync is done (could take a few hours to days). In Mint Update you would have need to refresh the updates first to get the index files again or in terminal, sudo apt update. Hopefully this will restore the broken index file. Normally it's best to refresh Mint Update first incase you've been sitting on old update files for a few days, just to ensure you get and use the latest files.

SurferJoe46
23-12-2018, 08:17 PM
YOUR:
Normally in these situations you can change the mirror to an alternative and then refresh the index file or just wait it out till the sync is done (could take a few hours to days).

About how to change the mirror - and I don't see how that can be done because I have everything checked in the repositories list in the update manager. There doesn't appear to be any actual choice as to which ones I get - it sounds to me like I am making an open request and whatever repository believes it has an update after querying my system, then it decides to send me updates, whether it or I are corrupt or not.

Right?

Is the repository capable of repairing and/or replacing a bad or corrupt update? I ask that because this last time I had the red check mark on my toolbar - it was there for a couple of weeks. Would that NOT be long enough for the repository to realize I needed a replacement?

I know this is a dumb question from me (what else?) - but I think it all hinges on 'how can a repository realize that I have bad data/code/commands' and then go about repairing that?

This --- because I think that linux only asks if I have an update - not the quality of it.