PDA

View Full Version : Colour printer colour problems

Tony
12-12-2018, 10:30 AM
I Have a Kyocera colour printer, Ecosys P5026cdn.
For the first time, I am anxious to get my screen colours very close to the printed colour, but everything seems to be coming out muddy. Even if I lighten up the colours in the image, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference on the paper. Is this a matter of colour profiles or something?

All suggestions welcome.

12-12-2018, 11:03 AM
neither the Monitor or the printer would have been color calibrated , so you may need to lower expectations.

on the printer
[Menu] key > [▲] [▼] key > [Adjust/Maintenance] > [►] key
Perform the Color Calibration.
[▲] [▼] key > [ColorCalibration] > [OK] key > [OK] key
Color Calibration begins.

Also , if you want high quality prints to match what you see, you may want a photo quality printer (and much better paper)

Nomad
12-12-2018, 11:49 AM
For the first time, I am anxious to get my screen colours very close to the printed colour, but everything seems to be coming out muddy. Even if I lighten up the colours in the image, it doesn't seem to make a lot of difference on the paper. Is this a matter of colour profiles or something?

All suggestions welcome.

You haven't used it before with better results? First time?

Basically yeah you need to calibrate the monitor with a sensor that sits on your monitor, the printer ideally you need to calibrate that. You can use the printer's ICC profiles with photo papers that it supports. The Kyocera doesn't seem like a photo printer though so if you are using my plain paper yeah ...

With my Epson photo printer even if I use the ICC profiles and I use Epson photo paper the color is still not that accurate, I also have a monitor calibrator. Ideally it is printed a test chart out and send it to a firm and have them scan it and send you a custom made ICC file for that specific printer and paper.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/computing/how-to-calibrate-your-monitor/

Nomad
12-12-2018, 12:31 PM

All suggestions welcome.

What software are you editing the photo with?
Does your printer come with any ICC profiles?
What type of paper are you using?

Whatever you do, never enable color management in software and the printer driver cos you would be double profiling.
If you are using plain paper, there are no color profiles for that.

Most people turn on color management in software like Adobe Photoshop and disable color management in the printer driver.

If you are using plain paper - maybe don't use color management in software and turn it on in the printer driver and select plain paper etc.
Also try to turn it off both in the printer driver and the editing software and pick something else then use the printer driver to adjust the colors.

Jeff
12-12-2018, 01:11 PM
You will never get the screen to match what is on your print outs. Monitors produce colour using RGB (red/green/blue) and the printer produces them by using CMYK (cyan/magenta/yellow/black). Recalibration of the the printer will help improve your print quality. There is an option on your printer to manually adjust the registration of the colours if a recalibration does not work.
The quality of the paper you use will affect the result you get. 100gsm paper produces good results.
Their are colour adjustments in the KX driver. Have had where it is best to use the Mini Driver to get the right results.

Tony
12-12-2018, 02:21 PM
I'm not actually trying to print photos, but just some illustrations. I understand about calibration etc. I'll do it on the printer, but I don't have any tools to do it on the monitor. I also understand about rgb vs cmyk, but in the past I haven't noticed significant differences between the two.

Nomad
12-12-2018, 02:55 PM
I'm not actually trying to print photos, but just some illustrations. I understand about calibration etc. I'll do it on the printer, but I don't have any tools to do it on the monitor. I also understand about rgb vs cmyk, but in the past I haven't noticed significant differences between the two.

Still using the same inks?
There is a thing with print head check with laser printer?

Tony
12-12-2018, 03:05 PM
Still using the same inks?
There is a thing with print head check with laser printer?

I'm using genuine Kyocera toner, if that is what you mean.
I've done the printer calibration, which made no difference (didn't really expect it to).
The only other variables I can see are the color profile to use when printing, and the paper type.
In Corel Photopaint which is what I am using at the moment, the default paper is U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. I changed that to ISO uncoated (seemed like the nearest to what I am doing) The default color profile when I print is sRGB IEC1966-2.1, with the choice of all sorts of other ones. Might it help to change that, and if so to what?

Nomad
12-12-2018, 04:30 PM
I'm using genuine Kyocera toner, if that is what you mean.
I've done the printer calibration, which made no difference (didn't really expect it to).
The only other variables I can see are the color profile to use when printing, and the paper type.
In Corel Photopaint which is what I am using at the moment, the default paper is U.S. Web Coated (SWOP) v2. I changed that to ISO uncoated (seemed like the nearest to what I am doing) The default color profile when I print is sRGB IEC1966-2.1, with the choice of all sorts of other ones. Might it help to change that, and if so to what?

Basically you need to get it to the same variables as you had last time - whatever that is.
Are you using the same paper as last time? That is another variable?
Windows the same? Was the Same Corel Photopaint? Same printer driver and same settings? B/c any of those can impact it.
Same monitor?

Your default paper isn't really the paper type. Usually they refer to things like Epson Premium Glossy or Archival Matte etc. Your color profile isn't really specific as well. sRGB or AdobeRGB is the working space. Ie - how you are treating your file, a TIF file with AdobeRGB will have more color palette than sRGB. If you are uploading a file to the Internet people use sRGB JPEG cos that is what the Internet uses. CMYK is offset printers.

I assume you are using just standard copy paper.
You also have no monitor calibration, so your monitor is probably not accurate.

With the unknowns you can only try it out and see ... Try sRGB and then try AdobeRGB and try the others like ISO Uncoated and see if you see a difference.

Does it have default settings?

Screenshots will help. Both with Corel and your printer driver.

In the perfect world, you would calibrate your monitor with a device. Then with whatever settings you have in Corel, you calibrate the printer with a test target and then use a custom made ICC file.

Jeff
12-12-2018, 09:17 PM
As mentioned in my last post try installing the Mini Driver, assuming you are using a PC.
It is what I have installed for people who want the colours to come out correctly for Kyocera printers and copiers.
The KX driver for some reason may not produce the right colours.
There are also other types of drivers on the Kyocera website you might want to try.
https://www.kyoceradocumentsolutions.com.au/support/pages/downloadcentre.aspx?product=ECOSYS%20P5026cdn

zqwerty
13-12-2018, 08:36 AM
"Carlos maybe king, but Merts is God!!"

Wow, time warp.

Tony
13-12-2018, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone for the input and suggestions - even zqwerty who is either on something or posting to the the wrong thread! I've temporarily solved the problem by ignoring it, and I'll come back to it in the New Year when things are a bit less hectic.

zqwerty
13-12-2018, 07:26 PM
The phrase is in Jeff's Post at the bottom.

Tony
13-12-2018, 07:39 PM
The phrase is in Jeff's Post at the bottom.

Crikey, someone who reads the sigs - amazing!