PDA

View Full Version : Adding email accounts to MSOffice Pro



old_a_g
01-12-2018, 02:40 PM
Have pcs with W8.1 and W10. Both have MSOffice Pro.
Why does it seem that I am unable to add 1x Hotmail.com account and 3x outlook.com accounts, all of which have different names, but all used by me. They are used for different purposes so that I can be reasonably certain of the contents for each account - web forums, work, purchasing, etc.
It was my hope to be able to open the one instance of MSOulook and see all my accounts in the one place.

wainuitech
01-12-2018, 04:06 PM
You can add as many as you want, all different. The OS doesn't really matter (8.1 or W10), what DOES matter is the version of office, some older versions are simply to old now to work with the newer security that Hotmail, Outlook.com etc use.

What version of Office do you have ?

old_a_g
01-12-2018, 10:55 PM
I'll try and make the response more thorough.
W8.1 has MSOffice Pro 2013
W10Pro has MSOffice Pro 2016
On either machine, I've attempted to add additional accounts after configuring one. I've managed to configure 6x accounts, so far, but another outlook.com acct is proving difficult. After adding the acct, a message says that it has been successfully added but it does not appear in the MSOffice Outlook account side bar, even after restarting Outlook as directed..
Any thoughts or suggestions?

wainuitech
02-12-2018, 08:37 AM
Hada few that caused similar problems with Outlook 2016, the powers to be seem to want to automate everything in the creation. What will more than likely have happened is all teh accounts will be linked to the same file.

How to get around that, do it the old way - open the control Panel , Mail, Email accounts.

9203

Create the new account, when it gets to the window shown make sure the New Outlook Data File is selected, this will create a separate entry instead of combining together.

9204

old_a_g
02-12-2018, 12:17 PM
Thanks. I tried that method by accessing from Control Panel, with Outlook closed.
This same thing happens in both Office 2013 & 2016. Trouble is, the account is NOT in the list of accounts that I have configured, nor does it appear in the Data files list.
I tried deleting one of the accounts and when that didn't help I added it again. So far, so good, BUT, the new data file for it is appended (2).ost and the original still exists but is effectively redundant.
Very frustrating.

9205