PDA

View Full Version : Help!

R.M.
24-11-2018, 10:40 AM
I recently upgraded my Microsoft Office 2010 to Microsoft Office 365. It seemed to be working ok, but this morning I just got 1032 emails :(

On looking, I find I have many duplicates of emails I have previously received. Now - how best do I deal with this?

There are two questions essentially:

How do I identify the duplicates and delete them?
How do I stop this happening again?

And as always - TIA of the help I get here. :)

R.M.
24-11-2018, 11:32 AM
I forgot to mention, that for emails I use Microsoft Outlook.

wainuitech
24-11-2018, 02:37 PM
You'l find the problem could be the old Email was set to save a copy on the server, when this is done and a new Email program installed it will bring all the old emails through again even if you import the original .pst file.

You can log online and manually delete them if you don't want this to happen. If your original mail was set to POP, and the new Office 365 will be IMAP, the new one wont actually recognize the mails have already come through.

How to clear Depends on what the mail is/was Was it a .pst or imap Previously ?

R.M.
24-11-2018, 04:56 PM
Ok - thanks, I'll investigate. BUT - it isn't doing this all the time, and I do have 3 computers that I use...

It was previously .pst and that is what I want. So I do need to have a closer look again.

Now what do I do to get rid of all the duplicates? The one programme that looked promising was $299.00 and I suppose that was US!

wainuitech
24-11-2018, 05:58 PM
No Need to buy anything.

Have a read of this site, https://www.stellarinfo.com/blog/remove-duplicated-email-messages-outlook-2016/ scroll down to Tips to Delete Duplicate Emails in Outlook 2016/2013/2010/2007 #3 Run Inbox Clean Up. ( never tried it, as I don't have duplicates so let us know how it works) :)

That site also gives some reason s as to why its happening

R.M.
24-11-2018, 06:11 PM
Thanks for that. I did find a programme called OutlookFreeware.comUtility which was free, and seems to have sorted out the problem.

But I am mystified why this has suddenly happened. I have changed nothing over the last 2 months since I upgraded (I found the PowerPoint 2010 wasn't doing all that I needed, so I was forced into the upgrade. :(). I am taking it that I should read that site you suggested to give me some illumination. When I have finished the movie I have started... I'll report back later.

R.M.
24-11-2018, 06:44 PM
I just had a quick look at 'Clean Up'. It now correctly tells me that there is no duplicates. So - yes - I think it does work. So - if this duplication happens again, that is what I will try.

Again - thanks for your help. :)

dugimodo
26-11-2018, 09:52 AM
I use multiple devices to read my Email and used to have problems like that when I used a PC with outlook or windows live mail.
That's largely why I abandoned Email clients in favour of web based E-mail, it just got too complicated because I'd never know where a particular E-mail was unless I left a copy on the server and if I did that I ended up with multiples all over the place. IMAP does largely fix that, but webmail just avoids it entirely.

These days I either check my mail on my phone or in a web browser.

R.M.
26-11-2018, 11:34 AM
Dugimodo - thanks for your comments. I use Outlook to do a lot of things - keep up to date with contacts (and I do a newsletter for a local club so there are quite a few), the 'things to do' - which I then sync with my android phone and I think the greatest triumph was the day my son in Oz asked me when he went there the first time (something to do with him getting permanent residency there). After some thinking in bed (of course!), I reloaded an old .pst file and was able to tell him it was in May 1993. And yes, I have 2 PCs and an iPad...

I'm sure there are other programmes that also do these things, but Outlook is the one I am familiar with and know best. Any other suggestions would be welcome though. :)