PDA

View Full Version : W10 upgrade from 1803 to 1809 a Disaster

kioti
17-11-2018, 08:19 PM
Hi
Was running W10 x64Pro v1803, Downloaded the stable release of 1809, tried to burn to a bkank DVD 5 and it was not enough space. Didn't have a dual layer Disc nor an 8GB USB Drive so I upgraded the 1TB HDD running W10 Pro v1803 to the v1809 from open W10 1803 system that I was working from. I Opened the ISO and performed the upgrade on the 1803 on the 1B drive from inside the v1803 W10 system on a 80GB drive :D
All went well although it took a long time probably because I had opted to download updates before the upgrade.
The Updates took almost an hour to instal and get sorted and eventually, 90 minutes after starting the upgrade and the updates being sorted out I had Desktop to log into and get the new 1809 W10 at my fingertips.
All looked fine, no problems, no missing preinstalled apps/docs etc etc so I went to see if there were anymore updates to get. There were 3 so I gave the go ahead for them and while they were being DL'd/Installed etc I checked how many Updates there were and there were only 5 of them.... where the hell had the many others I had Dl'd and installed over the previous 2 days since I installed the W10 v1803 disappeared to??
After the final of the 3 new updates had installed a restart was the order of the day so that was given the get go.
Then the disaster struck: rebooted and once past POST I was presented with a pale blue screen and a message telling me this:
"I/O Error occured
File:\Boot\BCD Error code 0xc00000e9" A device or hard drive has been removed improperly (or something along those lines)...

Devastated, I went to the computer I had just installed W7x64 Pro onto and searched the Error Message and Code. Found loads of 'Fix its' but none of them were of any use to me.
So I set about trying to fix it myself. I used Easeus Partition Master to view the now troublesome W10 v1809 HDD and what I saw really hacked me off
The Drive is showing 2 System reserved partitions. One where it should be at the left of the screen and at the beginning of the Pertition that the W10 v1809 OS is installed onto, and another Partion is at the Right side of the Drive Partition. I have seen that not too long ago here in my computer but I won't digress. Basically, the Drive will not Boot into the W10 V1809 Operating System.
The Drive is as good as inaccessible.
I have just spent 3 hours trying to 'fix' the problem. Attempted to create a System recovery disc but it can only be made onto an 8GB USB Flash drive, no can make a DVD of the recovery drive/disc.
Eventually I shut down the computer, disconnected the HDD with the working W10 v 1803 system and booted into the not opening W10 v1809 HDD using the W10 1803 Instal Disk I had created a few days ago.
When that eventually opened up I opted to go the Repair Computer road and all options failed to do anything!
Go back to the previous build...couldn't do that:...Startup Repair.... Couldn't do that..... Command Prompt: Used Bootrec /fixmbr.... Success...followed by cmd .. bootrec /fixboot ...failed...said somthing like cannot be accessed
System Restore...now the suggestion I got from that knocked me senseless: Restart computer and boot into the operating system to Restore!!!!
System Image Recovery: No Image found and the backup I had created before I started the Upgrade to v1809 using Easeus Todo Backup wasn't acceptable Image.
The only option I hadn't tried was Reset...one reason is if I have to lose all I have on the Drive apart from the basic OS I would rather start from scratch, secondly, I never done a reset before and I was unsure if attempting to do it on a computer that was not Factory Loaded with OS etc could be Reset (to Factory)
So that's it and I am ropeable!! I can't even use Easeus Partition Master Tech Edition to Rebuild MBR because the options to use are XP, W7, W8...W8.1........no W10!
So the questions are: What am I gonna do to fix this total ballsup Father Brown but the one that bugs me most is "Why does it now show 2 System Reserved partitions??? Even though the newly created one at the right side of the Drive has an asterisk but it holds 330+MB of data and the Recovery folder...whereas the System Reserved partition on the left of the drive only has 35MB Data in it and the Boot folder/files.

Anyone have any ideas, barring a Start from Scratch, as to how I can get the show on the road again as easily as is possible?

Here's a pic of the Dodgy troublesome HDD

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xmo6li3wg8w63kn/2.PNG?dl=0

Thanks

kiotii :D

Driftwood
18-11-2018, 07:19 AM
Did you have more than one hard drive connected when you made the recent installation

kioti
18-11-2018, 08:30 AM
Did you have more than one hard drive connected when you made the recent installation

Hi Driftwood. Yep I thought I had made that known in my post but I will say it again here in short version. Downloaded W10 v1809 I couldn't burn to a usable DVD as I didn't have a Dual Layer Disc, and couldn't put it onto a bootable USB drive because I didn't have an 8GB unit here to use.
Therefore I connected the Target drive to the computer means I had the Source Drive (C drive) that had the Downloaded W10 v1809 ISO stored onto it and the Target drive, the 1TB HDD that had W10 v1803 installed to it. Both connected HDD's had W10 Pro v1803 installed to them and both worked just fine. I wanted to upgrade the 1TB Drive/W10 v1803 to the W10 v1809 and to do that I had to do the following:
From the C Drive, opened into Windows, I open the W10 v1809 ISO using Windows Image Burner and and click the Setup icon to instal the W10 v1809, choosing to instal it as Upgrade to the W10 v1803 on the Target Drive. That was done and the upgraded W10 booted open and worked just fine.
It was when I did the Updates that it screwed up.
After spending 4 hours using many tools trying to get the upgraded W10 to Boot and all was failing, I wiped the Drive completely, to unallocated space then used Easeus Todao Backup to replace the W10 v1803 OS and System Partition to the now unallocated Space HDD from the Full Backup of the 1TB Drive I had created prior to performing the Upgrade to v1809. That was the easiest of all to do and the job was completed in 20 minutes so I now have W10 Pro x 64 v1803 up and running on two hard drives.... the 80 GB one that is almost full (9GB free space on it) and the 1TB drive that has 887GB Free space to be used. So with that I am happy.
I may upgrade the 1TB Drive to the v1809 but if do I will be doing so using an 8GB USB Flash Drive or a Bootable DVD with the upgrade on them/it. Needless to say I will not have any other HDD's connected to the computer at all apart from the Target HDD.
Thanks

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x5du73pggg4oupg/1.PNG?dl=0

wainuitech
18-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Can tell ya where it basically went wrong.

Having a workable 1803 as the boot drive, upgrading to the 1TB separate drive has basically created a linked drive. They would both need each other to work. In Short somehow the Master Boot Record (MBR) is not set correctly.

The Error code is a generic error that can be caused by many reasons.

I may upgrade the 1TB Drive to the v1809 but if do I will be doing so using an 8GB USB Flash Drive or a Bootable DVD with the upgrade on them/it. NO need to do any of that.

With the upgrades you can do it Via external media, Directly from the media creation tool, OR if you have the ISO on a SINGLE working drive, simply mount it by right clicking /Mount or double clicking the ISO, it will appear similar to a DVD or USB attached drive, then simply run the setup.

Make sure you have at least 20GB of spare space otherwise it can also fail.

Having another bootable drive attached and doing upgrades is asking for troubles.

kioti
18-11-2018, 03:53 PM
Can tell ya where it basically went wrong.

Having a workable 1803 as the boot drive, upgrading to the 1TB separate drive has basically created a linked drive. They would both need each other to work. In Short somehow the Master Boot Record (MBR) is not set correctly.

The Error code is a generic error that can be caused by many reasons.

NO need to do any of that.

With the upgrades you can do it Via external media, Directly from the media creation tool, OR if you have the ISO on a SINGLE working drive, simply mount it by right clicking /Mount or double clicking the ISO, it will appear similar to a DVD or USB attached drive, then simply run the setup.

Make sure you have at least 20GB of spare space otherwise it can also fail.

Having another bootable drive attached and doing upgrades is asking for troubles.

wainuitech, hi and thanks. yep I be thinking that is exactly what happened, linked OS requiring each other. As I said in my reply to Driftwood I wiped the upgraded drive, all partitions and reinstalled v1803 from the Easeus Todo Backup I created before I performed the upgrade. I am going to attempt the upgrade again shortly today.... but just how I am going to do that without have a USB or DVD with the update to v1809 on it is beyond me. Unless I only have the 1TB HDD connected in computer and use the media creation too to perform the upgrade to the open and running W10 v1803. I DL'd the v1809 ISO a few hour ago using the mediacreation tool and there was an option to upgrade to v1809 directly from the downloadable ISO. I may try that as I do not have a 8GB USB Flash drive nor do I have a DVD 9 disc,,,shame the ISO is 4.72GB in size........... it makes the file size greater that which a DVD5 can hold by a relatively small amount but enough to get me having to part with some cash to buy 1 damn dual layer DVD. :D 8GB Flash drive be best option or a 32GB Flash drive. Anyways...I go try the direct upgrade option. If It screws up well I simply wipe all from the 1TB and reinstal from the Todo Full Backup again

wainuitech
18-11-2018, 05:18 PM
To Upgrade directly from the ISO,( same drive) right click the ISO / mount Then it will show as a Mounted drive under This PC ( where all the other drives show) Then you can double click it to open, double click on the setup.exe and away it goes. Just make sure theres at least 20GB spare space before you start.

IF you have the 1TB drive working, have the ISO someplace on it, mount it and away you go, MAKE SURE NO other drives are connected, including any USB backups, except the DVD drive, that's fine. :).

Have a look at the pictures below of this PC, 1st shows the mounted ISO ( Drive J) then open the drive as above shows the Mounted contents including the setup.exe. :)

The drives shown -- C - Main Drive, D dvd writer , E - Second Drive I use for storage J - Mounted ISO

Azure- network Mounted Drive linking to Microsoft Azure, Plus various other local network mounted drives :)

kioti
18-11-2018, 06:58 PM
To Upgrade directly from the ISO,( same drive) right click the ISO / mount Then it will show as a Mounted drive under This PC ( where all the other drives show) Then you can double click it to open, double click on the setup.exe and away it goes. Just make sure theres at least 20GB spare space before you start.

IF you have the 1TB drive working, have the ISO someplace on it, mount it and away you go, MAKE SURE NO other drives are connected, including any USB backups, except the DVD drive, that's fine. :).

Have a look at the pictures below of this PC, 1st shows the mounted ISO ( Drive J) then open the drive as above shows the Mounted contents including the setup.exe. :)

The drives shown -- C - Main Drive, D dvd writer , E - Second Drive I use for storage J - Mounted ISO

Azure- network Mounted Drive linking to Microsoft Azure, Plus various other local network mounted drives :)

wainuitech.... thanks. I did the upgrade to 1809 to the 1TB HDD that had W10 v1803 installed. I only had the 1TB HDD connected to the computer. I did the upgrade direct from the W10 mediacreation tool. After 2.5 hours it had installed/upgraded the v1803 to 1809, installed updates etc and after opening into usable desktop I did a restart to see if it booted into W10 again without any hitch. I am glad to say that it did.
I have a couple of questions: First, why is the W10 ISO you show in your 1st pic smaller by about 1.9GB than the 4.72GB ISO that I downloaded?
Next question is Why after the upgrade to v1809 does the 1TB HDD show 2 extra partitions? The System Reserved at the right of the B partition and another unlettered one at the right end of the B partition????
Here are some pics: the first 2 show the 1TB drive connected on its own to computer. The 3rd pic shows the view when I connected the W10 v1803 HDD and booted into that to take the pic of the drives.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/acjctit6otiglj8/DISK%20MANAGAMENT.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zrohy1cjanbzdzj/EASEUS%20DISK%20DISPLAY.PNG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pzstghy0ce6w6ye/easeus%20disk%20display%20in%2080gb%20drive.PNG?dl =0

kioti
18-11-2018, 07:13 PM
Incidentally....after the successful upgrade to W10 x64 Pro v 1809 I have a windows old in the 1TB 'B' Drive and some other folders/files..... The ESD folder contains the downloaded Upgrade files/folders so what can I safely delete from the B Drive?..........I do have a good idea of what should be there after an OS instal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qpvklprc2x97l8v/Capture%201.PNG?dl=0