PDA

View Full Version : Need a VPN

Clay123
13-11-2018, 01:58 AM
Ok first things first I have never used a VPN before and have no idea about it either that how it works. All I know is that it makes you anonymous. So recently I have been travelling to some Asian countries because of my job and found that sometimes I am unable to download anything from torrent sites or unable to stream content on Netflix. My friends back in US have suggested me to go with NordVPN. So I thought to post my query here and ask the expert themselves that should I go with this service ? I also read NordVPN Review (https://www.vpnranks.com/nordvpn-review/) but there are so many technical terms used which I am unable to comprehend. Apart from issue what other benefits are there of getting a VPN ?

Noah32
13-11-2018, 03:05 AM
Hi, I just joined the community, it's nice to meet you Clay123.

I know a few things about VPNs because I have to travel a lot for work. I probably tried every single VPN out there. If you care about extra security you should definitely go with NordVPN. It has the best security features of all VPNs. It also works with BBC iPlayer, Hulu, US Netflix, P2P (torrenting). The only downside that it is a bit on the high side of prices, but luckily there is a special Black Friday deal for Nord subscription right now. I just renewed mine last week. Here's the link: https://nordvpn.com/coupon/deal/?coupon=BLACKOFFER

13-11-2018, 08:39 AM
dirty spammers
reported

dugimodo
13-11-2018, 08:51 AM
And for anyone reading this looking for an answer - VPN or not breaking the law in foreign countries is how people end up on the news, some countries take this stuff very seriously and it's not worth the risk just to watch a few TV shows.

Also if you truly think a VPN will protect you if one of the authorities come knocking think again, they can be forced to cooperate and won't take the fall for their customers.
They offer a level of protection and some anonymity, but there are still risks involved.

Noah32
13-11-2018, 08:43 PM
dirty spammers
reported

How is this spam? I just joined the community yesterday and gave my honest opinion.

Noah32
13-11-2018, 08:48 PM
And for anyone reading this looking for an answer - VPN or not breaking the law in foreign countries is how people end up on the news, some countries take this stuff very seriously and it's not worth the risk just to watch a few TV shows.

Also if you truly think a VPN will protect you if one of the authorities come knocking think again, they can be forced to cooperate and won't take the fall for their customers.
They offer a level of protection and some anonymity, but there are still risks involved.

It really depends on where the company of the VPN provider is located. If it's located in one of the 14 eyes countries, then you are correct. The VPN provider HAS to cooperate with the authorities and have to provide information about the client. When deciding on a VPN provider always check where is it based in.

wainuitech
13-11-2018, 09:13 PM
It really depends on where the company of the VPN provider is located. If it's located in one of the 14 eyes countries, then you are correct. The VPN provider HAS to cooperate with the authorities and have to provide information about the client. . Well Nord advertises and I quote:
NordVPN strictly keeps no logs of your activity online. That means we do not track the time or duration of any online session, and neither do we keep logs of IP addresses or servers used, websites visited or files downloaded. In other words, none of your private and secure data is logged and gathered at any time. As a result, we are not able to provide any details about your behavior online, even if you request it yourself. So basically if its actually true they CANT supply anything.

It really comes down to if you trust what Nord say.

With so many VPN providers these days the biggest problem with Nord is theres no Free trial ( not even 7 day) , you HAVE to pay first, if you don't like it for what ever reason THEN you have to cancel any subscriptions /payments.

Noah32
13-11-2018, 10:10 PM
Well Nord advertises and I quote: So basically if its actually true they CANT supply anything.

It really comes down to if you trust what Nord say.

With so many VPN providers these days the biggest problem with Nord is theres no Free trial ( not even 7 day) , you HAVE to pay first, if you don't like it for what ever reason THEN you have to cancel any subscriptions /payments.

I did my research before commiting to Nord and found out that they are based in Panama, which does not belong to 14 eyes. This fact kinda works like proof to me, that they don't a have point to keep any logs of user activities.
I tried a free trial of Nord before buying. After your comment, I thought that maybe they removed this option, but it seems that it's still there. https://free.nordvpn.com/trial/ They even offer a 30-day refund that I didn't even know of.

chiefnz
14-11-2018, 11:01 AM
:punk for NordVPN.

I was overseas in the States, Central and South America last year and used Nord when connecting to public Wi-Fi networks.

The speeds were OK, I could still stream NetFlix (US, South America and NZ) without noticeable lag.

It's a good product and I can't fault it.

Paul.Cov
14-11-2018, 08:59 PM
Nords TV advert plays out to give the impression they're an antivirus / antimalware service, which is totally different from a VPN (and is zero protection). So which are they? I claim they're more bullsh.. than they are a reliable product, based on the very misleading adverts alone.

Noah32
15-11-2018, 01:01 AM
Nords TV advert plays out to give the impression they're an antivirus / antimalware service, which is totally different from a VPN (and is zero protection). So which are they? I claim they're more bullsh.. than they are a reliable product, based on the very misleading adverts alone. I don't know if we saw the same ads, but the one I did watch, it was about cyber security Can you link me those ads?

wainuitech
15-11-2018, 08:11 AM
I don't know if we saw the same ads, but the one I did watch, it was about cyber security Can you link me those ads? From their site:

When enabled, the CyberSec feature will automatically block suspicious websites so that no malware or other cyber threats can infect your device. Additionally, no flashy ads will come into your sight.

https://nordvpn.com/features/cybersec/

Like Paul.Cov- calling BS on that. If someone were to go to a site, download something that has malware embedded, classic example some Programs contain malware, then Nord wouldn't stop them. The malware is not activated until the program is run /installed.

Block dangerous websites. The main task of the CyberSec feature is to regularly scan website addresses against popular blocklists and protect users from getting involved in phishing scams and other cyber threats. So if a website you are about to visit is known for hosting malware, trackers, spyware or other malicious software, CyberSec reacts immediately and blocks your access.If Nord actually blocked all these type of infections then a high percentage of the sites wouldn't load. Theres not to many of the movie sites (illegal) that don't contain some sort of malware, popups or "extras".

The Question is then --- If someone were using NordVPN are they guaranteed not to get infections on their PC ?

(we all know the answer- not even the best AV in the world can claim that) ;)

Noah32
15-11-2018, 09:58 PM
From their site:

https://nordvpn.com/features/cybersec/

Like Paul.Cov- calling BS on that. If someone were to go to a site, download something that has malware embedded, classic example some Programs contain malware, then Nord wouldn't stop them. The malware is not activated until the program is run /installed.

I have to agree with your statement.

Nord will not protect the user from some sort of malware software if it's already on the computer system. A VPN is not a anti-virus software.

If Nord actually blocked all these type of infections then a high percentage of the sites wouldn't load. Theres not to many of the movie sites (illegal) that don't contain some sort of malware, popups or "extras".

The Question is then --- If someone were using NordVPN are they guaranteed not to get infections on their PC ?

(we all know the answer- not even the best AV in the world can claim that) ;)

As far as I know CyberSec blocks suspicious websites which are in its database.

It seems, that the choice of wording by Nord is misconstructed on this matter.

wainuitech
16-11-2018, 09:12 AM
I have to agree with your statement.

Nord will not protect the user from some sort of malware software if it's already on the computer system. A VPN is not a anti-virus software.
Thats not what I actually said :) I stated that if a person downloaded a program, and when it installs it contains malware which is then installed. I didn't state already installed malware or other infections. Two different things :)

What they state
When enabled, the CyberSec feature will automatically block suspicious websites so that no malware or other cyber threats can infect your device. --------So if a website you are about to visit is known for hosting malware, trackers, spyware or other malicious software, CyberSec reacts immediately and blocks your access. If that's the case then it will block a high percentage of download sites.

The biggest uses for a VPN are to hide where you actually are, just about all the illegal movie steaming sites advise to use a VPN, and a lot of those sites contain all sorts of malicious activity, so going by Nord's wording it should block them -- Bet it doesn't ;)

onmar
26-11-2018, 02:40 AM
I love both VPNs ( NordVPN and PureVPN )

CensorBoss
27-12-2018, 05:53 AM
Ok first things first I have never used a VPN before and have no idea about it either that how it works. All I know is that it makes you anonymous. So recently I have been travelling to some Asian countries because of my job and found that sometimes I am unable to download anything from torrent sites or unable to stream content on Netflix. My friends back in US have suggested me to go with NordVPN. So I thought to post my query here and ask the expert themselves that should I go with this service ? I also read VPN for du (http://vpnprivacy.services/news/vpn-for-du/) review but there are so many technical terms used which I am unable to comprehend. Apart from issue what other benefits are there of getting a VPN ?

I have a similar question. I just landed in Dubai and bought local du sim.
Unfortunately all my apps like Skype and Whatsapp are not operating in UAE. Can someone recommend me vpn for du that works here?

chiefnz
27-12-2018, 06:58 AM
The UAE has recently started blocking VPN's. One of our customers has a corporate office in Dubai and the government started "blocking" VPN's, in this case the product was called GlobalProtect. We had to move all the UAE customers úsers back to their previous VPN solution which was PulseVPN as a workaround... at that point it had not been "blocked" by the government.

In the end the solution was to submit a "whitelist" request to the government for the GlobalProtect product via all the ISP's the customer used across the UAE, once that was done GlobalProtect worked.

It's weird that Skype doesn't work and I'd say that WhatsApp doesn't work because it encrypts it's traffic so "governments" block it. Not sure if this is true for the UAE though.

UAE isn't nearly as bad as the "Great Firewall Of China"...though it's rumoured that they are trying to control the amount of "access" the population has to "Westernized" content... which is ironic given how much of a "westernized" lifestyle most of them have... particularly the younger generations... I mean who wouldn't like driving a Ferrari into the local mall at age 16?