PDA

View Full Version : The Honeypot field can not exceed 0 characters in length

Misty
11-11-2018, 12:58 PM
I have just filled in a form to contact a supplier of goods. However, the system seems to think I am a bot or suchlike, because this wording appears "The Honeypot field can not exceed 0 characters in length"

The problem must be in one of three fields, which are -- name; organisation; email address. However, no matter what I enter I get the same result and as a consequence my message will no post. For organisation I have put in succession N/A; Not Applicable; Retired, however still get the same result. Any suggestions Please? :waughh:

Speedy Gonzales
11-11-2018, 01:17 PM
Contact whover made the form, or whoever looks after the site

Misty
11-11-2018, 01:55 PM
Will do, Speedy, but obviously that will not work today! Probably nothing I can do to fix today - still it's a good learning exercise. Had never before heard of the honeypot field - had to look it up. On the surface it does not make sense because a field that has 0 characters is blank, yet you have to fill in all the fields ........ ??

wainuitech
11-11-2018, 03:06 PM
Try filling in the form, but where it is rejecting leave it blank.

Basically, a spambot fills in a field that valid users canít see, alerting us to their activity. If the honeypot field is filled in, we can confidently reject the form as spam.

Misty
11-11-2018, 03:29 PM
Try filling in the form, but where it is rejecting leave it blank.

Thanks wainui, have now tried that - it is where the user (me) is to put their email address. I have now tried leaving it blank and also thought of trying the other one of my addresses and also my wife's. The system has rejected all four tries (inc the first try).

wainuitech
11-11-2018, 04:03 PM
What does the email address (domain) end with Eg outlook.co.nz, outlook.com ??? Been to several places where some domain names wont work, one, my own domain name wouldn't work but outlook.com did.

Misty
11-11-2018, 04:14 PM
The ones I tried, wainui, ended either in gmail.com or xtra.co.nz (the xtra one I am currently weaning off). Even though the 'warning' seemed to come up in the email field, I wonder if it is my name causing the problem? Facebook refused to accept it, telling me to use my "real name". I have been commonly known as Jim Air for 52yrs of my 74yrs. To get Facebook to accept me, I had to use my full first name "James" and append my middle name to my surname, Air, which is a very odd combination, but the only thing I could think of at the time.

12-11-2018, 02:08 PM
Try another browser . that my help (Im guessing not )

Some websites are just badly designed and simply dont work properly.
It may just be a bug in that websites design.

It happens.
Websites that are updated to a new design sometimes are left in a barely usable state, even one of NZ's biggest IT suppliers had that some years back.

Paul.Cov
12-11-2018, 08:07 PM
I just wonder if you're overlooking one of those annoying bot detection things, where you have to click on various pictures to prove you're not a bot. Googles foul Captcha thing being a prime example. Sometimes you have to complete and submit multiple attempts at them before the form is submissible.

Misty
13-11-2018, 01:45 PM
I just wonder if you're overlooking one of those annoying bot detection things, where you have to click on various pictures to prove you're not a bot. Googles foul Captcha thing being a prime example. Sometimes you have to complete and submit multiple attempts at them before the form is submissible.

Hi Paul, no there was no visible bot detection. I just think their site has a bug, so when I phoned them in Christchurch, I let them know. So, now all sorted with my phone call.