PDA

View Full Version : No sound from CDR

16-01-2002, 02:56 PM
Hello Everybody,

I've just bought a CD writer and installed it in my PC which already has a CD/DVD player in it.

I can't get sound out of the CD writer as the the CD/DVD player has the audio cable going to the motherboard.

Now some people have said just put the CD in the CD/DVD player, but I want to be able to play the CD's from the CD writer as well as the CD/DVD player.

ANy ideas......hope you can understand what I've tried to say above :-)

Cheery then
Ashwin

16-01-2002, 04:10 PM
As I understand it, you can't do it unless you have a sound card that can take more than one internal input (such as the SB Live!) so that you can plug both CD drives into your sound card. You aren't really limited by the drives but by your sound card.

16-01-2002, 04:16 PM
This is actually a really common problem. Surely someone out there has the electronic knowhow to produce a splitter-type adapter for the sound output cable from the cd player so that two players can feed into the same sound card.

16-01-2002, 04:29 PM
You could try this if your happy using a soldering iron:

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/cdrom_audiocombiner.html

16-01-2002, 04:31 PM
1. If you are running ME or XP you do not need an audio cable.
2. The other thing you can do with most cards is look for another input such as for line in, some have several separated inputs; and you need to set the volume controls for the additions.
3. A splitter cable,[parallel connection] may short out both devices.

16-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Run a cable from the headphone socket from one drive to the line-in connector on the sound card; use the internal cable for the other. Use the mixer to select.

16-01-2002, 05:41 PM
Hello Ashwin,

Check your motherboard most brands now days have the facility for two connections, if this is so on yours, the other connection should be next or close to the main connector.

Alan

16-01-2002, 10:54 PM
I have a CD Rom and CD Writer installed. Both are linked by seperate audio cables (cables are about $5 each)to my Yamaha sound card so I have sound via either drive.

In order to establish if your sound card can take more than one audio cable, have a look for any read me, text or pdf files on your sound card software disc. This should tell you what the various pins on your sound card are for, and what you can connect to them.

18-01-2002, 10:40 AM
pretty sure windows media player can be set to use digital instead of analogue for playing audio cd's. Not sure from which version, but this bypasses the audio cable alltogether. hope this is helpful