PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Express

16-01-2002, 12:53 AM
I have been running IE6 and Outlook Express successfully for some time now on my Win 98 system. Recently I upgraded my Norton Antivirus software to Norton System Works 2000 and also installed MS Office 2000 at about the same time. I now find that although I can still access the internet through my ISP I am unable to access my ISP's mail server using either Outlook Express or Outlook 2000. When I attempt to send or receive mail I get an error message stating that the host mail server cannot be found (error no. 0x800CC0D), this at the same time as I am concurrently on line via IE! I have tried deleting both Office and System works, separately and in tandem, without success, and my ISP can offer no help besides blaming the anti-virus product.
Any suggestions please?

16-01-2002, 04:07 AM
Norton Antivirus changes the pop3 server. I have no orientation of Outlook Express but find Options or similar ... you're looking for Account. Hopefully you know your pop3 server. Something like pop3.yourISP.co.nz or similar.

16-01-2002, 08:03 AM
Hi Martin.

This is becoming and 'old chestnut'

There is a post below 'email and Norton Antivirus' on 14/1/02 below timed at 10:38.

Essentially it would be best to pull up your IE and Outlook Express.

In Tools select accounts.

I have found that if the responses below have not worked, you should delte the POP3 email addresses shown in the account and start again.

The new account as you go through should show 'pop3.your ISP.co.nz'

Also show smtp(I think?).your ISP.co.nz

As the setup continues, fill in the required fields including your password. Hey presto, you are back in business.

Bryan.

16-01-2002, 09:15 AM
Hi Martin, I will be interested in how you eventually get Outlook 2000 going again, as I have exactly the same prob, even the same error msg details.

I don't think it has anything to do with a virus prog, as I dont have one installed. I am running IE5.5. Good luck

17-01-2002, 02:09 AM
have u got 2 email addresses as i had a similar problem when upgrading to ie6 and my ihug email address was changed to my igrin address.
if so check under tools/accounts, highlight the address then click properties to see where it is looking.

20-01-2002, 01:07 AM
Thanks for the comments unfortunately I've tried all this without success. The POP3 address is correct, I have only 1 e-mail address and I still have the same problem even after deleting Norton Sys Works and Office 2000.
Any other suggestion please?