PDA

View Full Version : Burning new DVDs from Pinnacle fails at 30%

PeterE
23-10-2018, 09:23 AM
I need to burn some DVDs on my Win-10 desktop with Asus DRW-24D5MT.
I created the projects in Pinnacle Studio 17 Plus.
The process continually fails at about a third of the way through.
Can someone please suggest what could be going wrong?
Peter.

Kame
23-10-2018, 09:27 AM
No idea, would help to understand what stage it gets to when it fails as the issue probably related to that. Is it making coasters out of your DVDs?

dugimodo
23-10-2018, 10:28 AM
Does Pinnacle let you create an ISO file instead? then you could use windows built in burning tool from that to see if it works any better.

Might be worth using a RW disk to test with until you figure it out. It's unusual for burning a disk to fail these days, maybe there's a hardware issue with the drive? might be worth a lens clean as well.

PeterE
23-10-2018, 11:06 AM
I suspect it only does the rendering without getting to the 'create ISO' or 'burn' process.
Yes I am trying with a RW disk first.

wainuitech
23-10-2018, 11:06 AM
Slow the burn Speed down, most programs want to burn at maximum speed, which sounds all good and fuzzy, BUT if the size of the data is larger, depending on the PC you may simply be running out of grunt or resources.

Slowing the burn to minimum, may take a little longer but also has a far less failure rate. Also don't try multi tasking while its burning, again using resources that can cause failures.

Zippity
23-10-2018, 01:37 PM
Wondershare DVD Creator works for me :)

Paul.Cov
23-10-2018, 02:25 PM
I spent heaps on burnable DVDs over the years. They all rotted and became unreadable. Ditch them, they're unreliable tech for anything other than short term storage. A USB stick does the job far more reliably now.

23-10-2018, 02:39 PM
I spent heaps on burnable DVDs over the years. They all rotted and became unreadable. Ditch them, they're unreliable tech for anything other than short term storage. A USB stick does the job far more reliably now.

I've had the opposite
Ive had heaps of USB sticks fail over the years, and very few of my burnt DVDr/Cd have failed .

USB stick is not a reliable storage medium.
Regardless, have 2 copies of anything that matters. :)

DVDrw , Ive had heaps of issues with those . The bin is the best place for them.
DVDr are so cheap theres no good reason to bother with RW.

PeterE:
Try with a DVDr disk instead, that may just work. Try burning something else to a DVDr (not using that program), as a test in case the hardware is flaky .
The program isnt expecting a dual layer disk is it ?

Zippity
23-10-2018, 02:46 PM

You must have been doing something very wrong with them :( :(

Speedy Gonzales
23-10-2018, 03:27 PM
Some people format them not a good idea. Then they wonder why it wont work. Altho, I wouldnt rely on DVDRW either

I forgot what DVD's are. None of these computers, have a DVD or CD

dugimodo
23-10-2018, 04:04 PM
I used to burn a lot of disks and had similar problems to Paul, but not with all of them.
Back in the day after many dead disks and much research I settled on Verbatim as the best commonly available disk and stopped buying anything else and those have lasted much better. The ones I still have read fine and are 10+ years old in some cases.

I'm well out of date but my top few choices when I still bought disks were:
Taiyo Yuden (hard to find but very good)
TDK - but only the ones that were rebranded from Taiyo Yuden :)
Verbatim
Mitsubishi (same as Verbatim)

Pretty much everything else I tried was junk and became un readable after a few years, even some expensive name brands. Weirdly the RW disks have lasted better.

Now I don't use anything but hard drives for storage, and keep 2 copies at least of anything important. I burn the occasional disk to install an OS or somehting when I encounter issues booting from a flash drive but generally don't keep those disks.

PeterE
23-10-2018, 04:34 PM
Thank you all for your comments.
I have digitised eight (8) VHS tapes for a friend who wishes to send disk copies overseas.
And the need for chapters in a long clip is an advantage with DVDs.

Kame
23-10-2018, 07:19 PM
It's not DVD itself that is doing the chapters, but the software that adds the menu, index, etc to it. You can accomplish this with most video formats these days and store that to USB, however to make it more compatible you would use MPEG4.

I'm not familiar with Pinnacle, but it must produce a log of the error if it doesnt complete or at least an error message to say what failed.

I could probably suggest 100 things that could be the problem but I'd like to hopefully narrow it down to at least 3 things.

wainuitech
23-10-2018, 08:28 PM
If its a DVD being created then suggest you make it in a std DVD format, With .vob files, not all players will work with newer formats-- There's plenty of programs about that can do that along with chapters. An old but goody is DVD Flick. http://www.dvdflick.net/download.php Used it myself plenty of times. :)

Making a DVD like you are, that will take a lot of Grunt, fast burning or not enough power will almost guarantee a failure. AND Never use RW's they are crap, and some dvd players wont work with them.

gary67
23-10-2018, 09:12 PM
I have used burnaware free for years, still have it installed but can't remember the last time I used it.

PeterE
25-10-2018, 12:05 PM
I didn't know a menu and chapters could be created and used on a USB drive but I do use the MPEG4 format on these drives.
How can I go about this?
Also I have downloaded dvdflick so will give that a try.
My PC: Intel core i7-7700 cpu, @ 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM so there should be enough grunt?
Peter.

wainuitech
25-10-2018, 12:18 PM
I didn't know a menu and chapters could be created and used on a USB drive but I do use the MPEG4 format on these drives.
How can I go about this?
Also I have downloaded dvdflick so will give that a try.
My PC: Intel core i7-7700 cpu, @ 3.6GHz, 16Gb RAM so there should be enough grunt?
Peter.

Enough Grunt -- The main reasons for failures:

1. Burning to fast
2. Bad media (RW's aren't the best)
3. Hardware related problems with Optical Drive
4. Software related problems.

1st is easy to test, 2nd means changing to a different Media 3& 4 bit more time consuming and investigation required (logs etc)

What you have to also look at is the output format, if it is for your own equipment you know what will and wont work, but if its for someone else, if they for example don't have a device that will play MPEG4 then its a waste of time.

Actual DVD's you buy in the shop don't (AFAIK) ever come in MPEG4, its all .VOB etc- standard DVD format.

Kame
25-10-2018, 01:22 PM
It's been too long but I recall DivX fully supporting chapters (uses MPEG4 part 2) and was quite compatible for most DVD players as well. I think this was the method I used at the time.

VOB was just an extended format of MPEG for standard dvd book but yea there's plenty of other containers, but finding ones to work on a dvd player is the issue.

PeterE
25-10-2018, 05:18 PM
I was thinking of the possibility of MPEG4 with menu and chapters on a USB stick (or DVD). Can that be done?

wainuitech
25-10-2018, 05:29 PM
I was thinking of the possibility of MPEG4 with menu and chapters on a USB stick (or DVD). Can that be done? Yes you can do it, BUT not all media players ( or DVD Players) will support/work/read chapters correctly.

Kame
25-10-2018, 05:59 PM
Video files that most people see (.avi, .mp4, .mkv) are containers that hold compressed files. They normally contain video and audio but can contain additional extras.

MPEG4 is the compressed video, the container is normally shown as .MP4. Better compressions have since appeared. H.264 possibly be supported on DVD players too now.

Chapters are built into the video containers, a menu however is again different, it's like a boot loader. Can be an interactive looping video that understands how to load those videos.

Try out DivX, or find information on it. You will start to understand it more.

Menus maybe harder to accomplish, I do remember seeing autorun.ini files (maybe for Windows PC) but not too sure how it would work on a dvd player as I just use to select what to play off the usb and knew I could advance chapters I had set, never had it autoplay.

PeterE
06-11-2018, 03:23 PM
When ever I have checked for Pinnacle updates I have only ever been offered upgrades for $$. The most recent being to Pinnacle 22. I did a full re-install of my 17+ then was offered two patches which I installed. Problem solved. Am now able to create images and burn a disc from Pinnacle 17+.
Thank you all for your help and suggestions.
Peter.