PDA

View Full Version : Windows 10 October Update (1809)

chiefnz
09-10-2018, 07:44 AM
Hi all,

So found this (https://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/article/647826/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-october-2018-update-after-reports-mass-file-deletion/) article on the PCWorld AU site.

There seems to be a few wonky things happening with this new update.

It does seem to be random/hit and miss as not everyone seems affected by this issue?

I downloaded and installed 1809 on Wednesday 3 October. It took about 15-20 minutes to download and install.

Everything went fine, no deleted files and the machine seems a little speedier to be honest.

Just curious how many other PF1er's have installed 1809 and if you had any issues?

Thanks,

pcuser42
09-10-2018, 08:01 AM
Had 1809 installed on my desktop without any issues. The new clipboard will be great when it finally gets to my laptop :)

bk T
09-10-2018, 08:15 AM
No issues here with 2 of my desktops. Don't really notice any 'improvements' after the update.

Lawrence
09-10-2018, 08:19 AM
Updated my main comp and found a couple of installed programs got deleted just reinstalled them

Will wait to upgrade the other comp as there will be fixes coming through

Have to remember it's a major upgrade that takes a while

wainuitech
09-10-2018, 08:46 AM
All my Computers have been upgraded, only one did it by its self, no problems what so ever. Have also done a few customers computers before the "bug" was discovered again no problems at all.

Have installed two as fresh installs ( from W8) but of course this wont have any affect of course.

Brings home the fact people should back up their data regularly , as at any time something can happen that will cause it to be lost. Doesn't need to be software, could be a hardware failure, your computer stolen etc.

Speedy Gonzales
09-10-2018, 09:16 AM
This computer brought up some error when it tried to update through WU. So, I did a clean install with the ISO

Then it was fine. I also did a clean install one of the other computers here. That was fine too.

The other computer, updated through WU no prob at all (I didn't do a clean install on it)

09-10-2018, 02:40 PM
on 1809
has the system image option be removed ?
Control panel, backup
if gone , is the old style (7) backup still there , does that still have the tick box to also create an image

Ive been reading that MS 'depreciated' the image/backup , and are MS are recommending using 3rd party software instead.
I dont have a 1809 PC to check, its still there in 1803.

Could be a few issues if thats gone or going :-(

wainuitech
09-10-2018, 04:54 PM
To answer your Question(s) YES still there.

Poppa John
09-10-2018, 06:27 PM
How can I tell whether I have 08 or 09. Thanks. PJ

Driftwood
09-10-2018, 07:00 PM
You could go, start, PC Settings, Update & Security, OS build info (in blue)
Your version will be listed under Windows specifications.

wainuitech
09-10-2018, 08:54 PM
How can I tell whether I have 08 or 09. Thanks. PJ Real quick way -- Click on the search next to the start Icon - Type in winver Select it in the result. (Make sure you spell it exactly as I wrote)

you'll get a window pop up with the info.

There will be your build / Version details. This is the latest 1809 ( had no problems at all with it.)

Lawrence
10-10-2018, 05:53 AM
Pays to be careful as the new Update has expanded Disk Cleanup allowing to clean up your Downloads if ticked, I run disk Cleanup Regularly

I for one have all my installed programs in my Download Folder so some could delete all their programs if ticked

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/10/09/windows-10-version-1809-pay-attention-to-disk-cleanup-settings/

bk T
10-10-2018, 09:38 AM
Just found that my old Hauppauge WinTV doesn't quite like the new version of Win10. Reinstalled the WinTV software without joy. Maybe it's time to get rid of it.

Bryan
10-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Try again. Mine works perfectly.

wainuitech
10-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Just found that my old Hauppauge WinTV doesn't quite like the new version of Win10. Reinstalled the WinTV software without joy. Maybe it's time to get rid of it. What version do you have currently ? There are free upgrades as long as its V6 or above.

2nd FAQ http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/support/support_wintv7.html

bk T
10-10-2018, 10:45 AM
I was using WinTV8 33135 which worked fine with previous versions of Windows 10.
Have tried newer vers 34245, 35162, all don't like the new Win10.
Can't try the WinTV8.5 as I need a new activation code, can't use the old WinTV7 CD key.

wainuitech
10-10-2018, 02:31 PM
I was using WinTV8 33135 which worked fine with previous versions of Windows 10.
Have tried newer vers 34245, 35162, all don't like the new Win10.
Can't try the WinTV8.5 as I need a new activation code, can't use the old WinTV7 CD key.

Tried running it in Compatibility mode ?

You right click the exe file, troubleshoot Compatibility, it tries to sort it, if not then select the options to try something else, it can then give you options going back to Vista.

chiefnz
10-10-2018, 05:44 PM
Ok so one thing that I have noticed is that intermittently there is a delay in programs opening.

I see this happening mostly with File Explorer and my browser (Firefox).

The "symptoms" present as a delay (anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds) between clicking the tile on the Start Menu and the application window actually coming up.

Subsequent access attempts happen pretty much immediately.

Hasn't affected anything else just a delay when opening things intermittently.

zqwerty
10-10-2018, 11:18 PM
Updated version of Windows 10 October 2018 Update released to Windows Insiders

https://www.ntcompatible.com/news/story/updated_version_of_windows_10_october_2018_update_ released_to_windows_insiders.html

chiefnz
13-10-2018, 09:54 AM
Ok so one thing that I have noticed is that intermittently there is a delay in programs opening.

I see this happening mostly with File Explorer and my browser (Firefox).

The "symptoms" present as a delay (anywhere from 5 - 10 seconds) between clicking the tile on the Start Menu and the application window actually coming up.

Subsequent access attempts happen pretty much immediately.

Hasn't affected anything else just a delay when opening things intermittently.

So I noticed that after clicking the pinned File Explorer icon the Start Menu disappears and "nothing"seemingly happens but if I click Start again the File Explorer window comes up immediately after that.

I then deleted the pinned File Explorer icon and then "re-pinned" it to the Start Menu and now clicking on the newly pinned icon the File Explorer Window comes up immediately as expected.
This seems to be the only icon/program that does this since updating to 1809, all the other icons result in the program's window coming up virtually instantaneously.

Weird... but fixed now.

Another question, for those who have updated to 1809... how many of you are using Microsoft accounts to login and also using OneDrive?

I use a local account and I use OneDrive but OneDrive is not pointing to any custom folers i.e. I'm not re-directing any folders to OneDrive it is just a set of folders on it's own.

I'm thinking maybe that's the reason people have seen files deleted from their Documents folder, because the "bug" has to do with Known Folder Re-direction/Migration?

wainuitech
13-10-2018, 12:43 PM
They have actually found the problem and fixed it, BUT the silly thing is they have put the fixed version for trials to the insider program first, BUT a lot of insiders have already moved on to the next build so wont get the fixed 1809.

Another question, for those who have updated to 1809... how many of you are using Microsoft accounts to login and also using OneDrive?

I use a local account and I use OneDrive but OneDrive is not pointing to any custom folders i.e. I'm not re-directing any folders to OneDrive it is just a set of folders on it's own.
Thats how all the computers here are as well, none have MS accounts to log in with except the insider, but all do use onedrive signed in separately to the main log in, some dont even have a login password, just boot straight into Windows.

Had no problems what so ever, and all have been upgraded, or have had any calls relating to them.

chiefnz
17-10-2018, 05:41 PM
So I noticed that after clicking the pinned File Explorer icon the Start Menu disappears and "nothing"seemingly happens but if I click Start again the File Explorer window comes up immediately after that.

I then deleted the pinned File Explorer icon and then "re-pinned" it to the Start Menu and now clicking on the newly pinned icon the File Explorer Window comes up immediately as expected.
This seems to be the only icon/program that does this since updating to 1809, all the other icons result in the program's window coming up virtually instantaneously.

Weird... but fixed now.

I use a local account and I use OneDrive but OneDrive is not pointing to any custom folers i.e. I'm not re-directing any folders to OneDrive it is just a set of folders on it's own.

I'm thinking maybe that's the reason people have seen files deleted from their Documents folder, because the "bug" has to do with Known Folder Re-direction/Migration?

Ok so this seems to be reoccurring again... exactly the same symptoms;

Click Start--->Click File Explorer--->Start Menu minimizes--->Nothing happens--->click Start--->File Explorer window opens.

Delete pinned File Explorer Tile--->Re-create File Explorer tile--->click File Explorer tile--->No delay opening

So seems there are still gremlins in the 1809 release.

wainuitech
17-10-2018, 06:01 PM
Never had or seen the problem, but sounds a bit like the links are getting lost and recreating them fixes it.

Try this, in search, type in "file explorer options" Open the window, click Clear.

It can also be a graphic related problem ( seen plenty of those), one simple way to check if it drops them again, start the computer in safe mode, see if it still happens.