PDA

View Full Version : Google drive issue

4Lowie
26-09-2018, 03:36 PM
Hi all,
Some time ago I started to get warning that my Google drive was nearly full, went through and checked settings and as I had suspected automatic upload wasn't even active. Cleared the few photos and documents that were there and forgot bout it.
Have just started getting this warning again, even when I go into My Drive there's virtually noting there. Setting still show no auto upload so whats going on?
Can't see anything to delete so how do I get my empty drive back?

Or should I just kill my Google account and find something else, sure they want me to purchase more storage but I really don't like those tactics.....

Appreciate any help from you guys.

Cheers Dave

wratterus
26-09-2018, 04:16 PM
There will be something there.

Click on 'upgrade storage' then 'view details' under the pie chart, it will tell you what is using up what space.

Mine looks like this, for example.

dugimodo
26-09-2018, 04:19 PM
Check the bin, all your deleted stuff might still be taking up space.

4Lowie
26-09-2018, 05:24 PM
Thanks guys
Just checked the bin, empty.

Checked storage, minimal.
Surely its not just my gmail account thats using all the storage?? Could be.....

wainuitech
26-09-2018, 06:05 PM
Looking at your picture, where it says in red 14.8 of 15GB used, click on the actual wording, not the upgrade, you have to be careful but it will turn to a hand, it will open the drive and show you what's there.

4Lowie
26-09-2018, 06:55 PM
Looking at your picture, where it says in red 14.8 of 15GB used, click on the actual wording, not the upgrade, you have to be careful but it will turn to a hand, it will open the drive and show you what's there.

Thats exactly what I did. The result is what displayed after the, Hand, Click, Result.

wainuitech
26-09-2018, 08:38 PM
Dont normally use Google drive, but have you had a look on the google drive (folder) on your computer, see whats in there, its possible if they are syncing google drive could be reading that ( only a guess- normally I use one drive).

Just tried something, once you have deleted anything, go into the bin, empty that as well, Then refresh the page. Even after emptying the bin it still showed as before until it was refreshed.

wratterus
27-09-2018, 09:38 AM
You do need to click on 'upgrade storage', then you'll get a nice pie chart and it will list what is using the space, just like the screenshot I posted above.

Ofthesea
27-09-2018, 12:17 PM
If you navigate to manage storage from the bottom of your Gmail it will show Gmail storage separate to Drive.
To gain some respite you could remove large Gmails by putting " size:10000000 " in your Gmail search, not saying it's the problem

[edit]
Just found this, should be the answer;
https://drive.google.com/drive/quota

4Lowie
27-09-2018, 04:34 PM
Ok, getting somewhere thanks to you guys. Found out its Google photos thats taking all the storage. Checked that Google photos app and backup & sync was set to on. Turned to off. Trouble is when I delete the photos in the app the disappear completely from my phone. I went to the pc based photo app and thought id delete them from there so they'd remain on my phone, asked to send them to the trash and it sks if i want to remove them from my google account, synced devises and places they're shared. I don't want to delete them from my phone where they were sync'd from....
Can we just remove them from the google account?

Cheers

wratterus
27-09-2018, 04:39 PM
I would setup the Google drive sync program on the PC, tell Drive to include a copy of your photos, then let the sync program download all the photos.

Copy the photos somewhere else on the PC, then you can remove the photos from Google Photos. You must have high res backup turned on in the Google Photos backup on the phone, because they offer unlimited lower res backup.

You could try to download all the photos from Google Photos directly, but I've tried this before and it's not been very successful.

Up to you how you then deal with the photos on your phone. You should be able to control how it all behaves from within the Google photos app.

gary67
27-09-2018, 08:57 PM
I regulrly download all my photos from Google photos with no issues at all they just download in a zip file