PDA

View Full Version : False notifications on Windows 10.

mzee
25-09-2018, 06:12 PM
Windows 10 Pro keeps notifying me that the Antivirus is out of date, when it's not.
Had Defender, and Malwarebytes on.
Turned off Defender Antivirus, no difference.
Turned off all notifications, and security centre. It still does it!

Where are these bogus notifications coming from?

chiefnz
25-09-2018, 06:27 PM
Which AV are you using?

wainuitech
25-09-2018, 06:45 PM
Malware bytes will over ride Defender (or should), I'd be looking at Malwarebytes personally. Its actually not that good any more since they tried to make it a all in one solution ( didn't work)

If the full notifications are turned off then you shouldn't be getting them.

Also check in Privacy - Background Apps - Make sure they are all off.

mzee
25-09-2018, 07:50 PM
The notifications are turned off in settings, also in Group Policy. It still does it with Defender off, or Malwarebytes off. I usually have Defender off as it slows the computer down, same as Microsoft Security. They scan programs before they launch, even if they have been scanned before. The new Malwarebytes does not over ride Defender.

wainuitech
25-09-2018, 08:25 PM
Are you using the free Malwarebytes if so its ONLY used as a second scanner.

I usually have Defender off as it slows the computer down Shouldn't do it uses next to no resources unless its one of those cheap budget things that masquerade as a computer ;)

With ANY good antivirus, Windows defender will turn its self off, as you cant have two (or more) active protection running, they will clash (that's been known for a long time) Looks like they have dumbed down malware-bytes so it doesn't clash = its not doing a good job.

Try the suggestion here (https://www.tenforums.com/antivirus-firewalls-system-security/107975-malwarebytes-windows-defender.html) if you insist on using an inferior AV.

Can see whats happening, since malwarebytes doesn't work as good, the notifications may be popping up from it. You dont need to go into group policy to disable them, (W10 home doesn't have GP) once disabled in the settings never had any more notifications.

I'll throw malwarebytes on a test PC and see if the same happens, mind you normally dont bother with it, its not good enough.

mzee
26-09-2018, 12:24 AM
I have Malwarebytes full version valid for life, works very well, and doesn't slow things down. I don't use Windows much, and even then it only goes on line to publish a web page. I use Mint most of the time, faster, and doesn't waste time doing its home work in my time. Rock solid.