PDA

View Full Version : Upload speeds to Mega?

Agent_24
25-09-2018, 03:35 PM
I'm looking for new online backup storage since my current provider has been slowly turning to garbage and I don't want to renew my plan this year.

I have been considering Mega, being one of the few which has an official Linux client, as well as being supported by Duplicati, and I believe it was/is hosted in NZ, but testing has shown that the free account I signed up for years ago has pretty awful upload performance.

Does anyone have a paid account, and is the upload performance any better?
My connection can upload elsewere just fine at a solid 3MB/s, but with Mega (free) I was only getting 350KB/s on average, bursting to maybe 1MB/s, which is rather pathetic.

wratterus
25-09-2018, 03:54 PM
I'm unsure about Mega but have you had a look at BackBlaze?

wainuitech
25-09-2018, 04:51 PM
Personally I'd stay away from Mega, wouldn't be at all surprised if at some stage it gets shut down like its predecessor for illegal files etc. (it has plenty of them)

Davoid
26-09-2018, 08:08 AM
I am using idrive (have uploaded 520GB of my allowed 2000GB) at present (have been with them for about a year) and have not had any issues, with reasonable upload speeds (only on the Spark unlimited 100/20 plan). I chose this one because it allowed me to choose the folder/files I wanted to upload rather than my full drive/drives. If you just wanted to backup the whole drive then the likes of Backblaze that has been suggested would probably suit you better.

Agent_24
26-09-2018, 09:29 AM
I use Duplicati regardless, as it compresses and encrypts before upload. I don't trust online storage with unencrypted files. Once it's on their systems, you have no control over it at all.

I tested out BackBlaze B2 and it works OK. Not the constant upload speed I was hoping for, but it was faster than using Mega, and would also be significantly cheaper than Mega, for the same amount of data.

I think the upload speed issue may be related to Duplicati however, as uploading to Mega through their website went at full speed. Hopefully performance will increase in future Duplicati versions, but using B2 is still better than what I've been using, and given the pricing, I'll likely switch over to that for now and see how it goes...